none
Non -System disk or disk error.

Question

• Good Morning all,

After recieveing some fantastic assistance here over the last couple of days, I thought I would bring another problem to the table.

We have a HP Compaq DC7900 here in our office which this morning is displaying the following error.

Non-System disk or disk error.
    replace and strike any key when ready.
    If you strike any key it goes to the blue 'HP Invet' screen with F9 for Boot Menu, F10 for setup and F12 for Network.

No matter what is chosen, it freezez and then goes back to the Non System disk error.

The machine is running XP Pro and was fully operational last night.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it possible to boot the PC in safe mode by using the XP Pro disc and accessing the Command Prompt?

Many thanks,

Kris
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• Perhaps not safe mode as it seems you have a problem with your disk drive but the recovery console is accessible via the XP CD. Just press R or F10 when you get to the screen asking you if you would like to use the recovery console. It may not find a Windows installation if your hard drive has indeed gone bad.

A quick fix that sometimes solves hardware issues is to remove the power cable from the back of the machine for a while and then reinsert it and start up the computer.
    • Proposed as answer by anthonyrsc Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:36 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Hi 10crackers,

It does indeed seem the hard drive has completely died. It couldn't find a windows Installation and your final suggestion didnt work either.

Thats for your help.

I will send the machine back to our head office and get them to send out a new one.

Thanks for your help. :)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:56 PM