none
Windows Update: Unable to sign in after Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• Windows released updates last night November 10, 2015.  Users are no longer able to log in. 

The Windows log in screen appears>Select User account and then it appears as if Windows is logging in without asking for a password.  The screen then blinks but will never load into Windows.   We have resorted to running a system recovery on the affected machines, another other suggestions?

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:28 PM

All replies

• I was about to report this but you beat me to it.

After many hours, I have narrowed this down to one of the following Windows updates:

KB3097877, KB3100213, KB3101246, KB3101722

I have spent most of the day on this. It's my wife's computer - Windows 7 Home, 64 Bit, WORKGROUP rather than Domain. There were 28 Windows updates in this month's batch (14 for Office 2010 and the other 14 for Windows Security updates, .NET updates etc)

After installing them all, I found I couldn't login. The login icons appeared as normal but when I clicked on any of them, the machine just did a blink and the password box simply failed to appear.

I have spent the last few hours installing this month's Windows Updates a few at a time. Of the 28 Windows updates, there was no problem with the 14 for Office 2010. The three .net updates were also ok, as was the cumulative security update for IE11.

The problem reoccurred when I selected the above four KBs (all of them Security Updates for Windows 7 64-bit systems). After installing them and restarting, I could no longer log in because, as already described, the password field failed to appear.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:37 PM
  • Windows released updates last night November 10, 2015.  Users are no longer able to log in. 

The Windows log in screen appears>Select User account and then it appears as if Windows is logging in without asking for a password.  The screen then blinks but will never load into Windows.   We have resorted to running a system recovery on the affected machines, another other suggestions?

I also am having the same issue - unable to restart system and log in after installing patches posted for Windows Update on my 32 bit Win 7 machine. Have been all over the support sites and community chat boards for hours looking for a possible fix. So far nothing has worked. In the meantime seeing multiple dozens of people all subscribing to the threads that are popping up on this problem. Here is a little background as of now: 

After downloading and installing patches I selected the required Restart Computer command. Computer restart after applying these updates resulted in the start screen flashing from black screen to standard Win 7 startup background graphic. Basically a startup loop. I powered off the computer and then powered back on. Same result. I then made several attempts to boot into Safe Mode using the "with networking" and without it. Same result. I then used the Win 7 install CD and ran 'repair for startup issues' with it. No change. Then attempted to run Restore. First restore point from earlier today (before performing the Win updates) reported back as corrupted and unusable. Next most recent restore point was from 2 days ago. Attempted to run Restore from this restore point. Reported as corrupted. Kept going with the 6 remaining restore points, also reported back as corrupted and unusable.

Then tried all of the fixes suggested in this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-login-problem/51685076-e39f-42de-b265-ca109ecfbd82?page=3. Still no success. Coincidentally, attempts to log an issue with MSFT Windows Support site has not been possible. Web page errors out when trying to load it, even when tried from a couple different browsers (IE and Google). 

I'm out of options I can think of to try and get my computer to boot successfully into Windows 7 again and need help. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

JE Moran

Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your report. We already notice that, and have received similar reports from many community members at same time. Seems like it has been narrow down to KB 3097877. You could restore your system and hide this update temporarily for good measure.

Many solution are suggested in following thread, here is the link for references. Sorry about any inconvenience we made.

Blank screen after pressing CTRLALTDEL for login after Windows Updates. No way of logging in on Domain.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/336eae75-b5f4-41ea-bd2b-5f0248585a66/blank-screen-after-pressing-ctrlaltdel-for-login-after-windows-updates-no-way-of-logging-in-on

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your report. We already notice that, and have received similar reports from many community members at same time. Seems like it has been narrow down to KB 3097877. You could restore your system and hide this update temporarily for good measure.

Many solution are suggested in following thread, here is the link for references. Sorry about any inconvenience we made.

Blank screen after pressing CTRLALTDEL for login after Windows Updates. No way of logging in on Domain.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/336eae75-b5f4-41ea-bd2b-5f0248585a66/blank-screen-after-pressing-ctrlaltdel-for-login-after-windows-updates-no-way-of-logging-in-on

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Turan Keser turankeser@superonline.com

Turan PC Mozilla

• Edited by Turan Keser Friday, November 13, 2015 6:51 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 6:50 AM