none
Unable to remove printer drivers in printmanagement console

Question

• Hi

I have tried to google and search technet for a solution for my problem but without any luck. I really dont know if this is the rigth forum to ask my question, but I cant find a printer problem related forum for Windows 7. If you have better forum suggestion please write.

At my organisation we are using an image solution for our clients. After switching to Windows 7 32 bit we have some big problems deploying printers. We may have found a solution where I have to remove all printer drivers (besides the standard Microsoft drivers for MS XPS Document writer, MS Office document image writer driver, etc.) from the image. But I have big troubles removing the printer drivers. I open the printmanagement console, where I see the following 7 drivers:

HP LaserJet 4100 Series PS

HP LaserJet 8100 Series PCL6

HP Universal Printing PCL 6

Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver

Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver

I want to remove all HP drivers, but when I rigth click the driver and select "Remove driver package" (at least I think that is what the option is called in an English UI) I get an "error" which tells me that the selected printer driver is in use - but it isn't, as far as I can tell.

How can I remove the printer drivers? Any suggestions are appreciated. If you need further information please ask, as I will gladly provide you with them.

/Kevin

Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Kevin-DK,

1) I would try to boot in safe mode first and then try to remove the drivers.

2) Anyway, you can use Task Manager to Kill the "Spool process tree" and try to remove the Drivers then.

I think you could try steps 1 and 2 and post the results here on the forum again to give us a broader picture of the problem.

Good luck,

renatoabc

Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin-DK,

1) I would try to boot in safe mode first and then try to remove the drivers.

2) Anyway, you can use Task Manager to Kill the "Spool process tree" and try to remove the Drivers then.

I think you could try steps 1 and 2 and post the results here on the forum again to give us a broader picture of the problem.

Good luck,

renatoabc

Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Hi

I have tried your suggestions and with the following results.

1) Doesn't work. When I boot in safe mode and start the printmanagement console the drivers doesn't appear (I have tried all safe mode's). Am I doing something wrong when boot in safe mode?

2) I have tried to stop the Spooler service - but then (as when I boot safe mode) the drivers in the printmanagement console aren't showing.

Anything else I could try? Thanks for reply.

/Kevin

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Hi Kevin, You are doing nothing wrong. What happens if you boot normally, and before you try to remove the drivers, you turn off the printer? Does it make any diference? Please let us know. renatoabc
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Just another thought: Would it work if you cliked " Start" , and "Device and Printers" and right click the HP printers, and click " Remove device", one after one?

please reply

good luck

renatoabc

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Hi renatoabc

Sorry for the late reply. The printers are shared network printers. The printers are not connected when I log in after a normal boot (they don't appear under devices and printers - the gpo which runs a vbs script, that make the printer connections, isn't applied to my user) and I'm still not able to remove the driver package. When the printers are connected and I remove them one after another I still can't remove the driver package.

/Kevin

Monday, December 20, 2010 10:42 AM