none
SMB and file shares RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 10 machine in a domain. I've disabled SMBv2 and v3 and added/enabled v1. Before you tell me how unsafe that is, this is for testing purposes. Port 445 is closed in the environment. I was told that if SMBv1 was enabled and v2/3 were disabled that from this windows 10 machine, you could connect to a file share. Was told that it would normally attempt to use port 445 to access the share but if v1 was enabled and 2/3 disabled that the Win10 machine would then use port 139 to make the connection.

However, this does not work. Is there anything missing in the equation?

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hello BOBBAFF,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

What operating system is the machine on which the file share is located?

What is the error message when the client cannot access the share?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.
    Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 14, 2019 6:20 AM
  • Operating System in Windows 10. The destination OS does not matter, it won't work on win 7 or 10

Friday, June 14, 2019 7:00 PM
  • If  destination OS does not enable SMBv1, then there is definitely no way to establish a connection between them.

Monday, June 17, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Well, I can connect via C$ from a Windows 7 machine to a Windows 10 machine even though the Windows 10 machines does not have SMBv1 enabled.

Monday, June 17, 2019 11:36 AM
  • I noticed that you post several posts, can we bring them together?

Now the client can't access the C$ of the server, right? What is the operating system  of client? What is the operating system of server?

On client: Which SMB versions are enabled? Which SMB versions are disabled? Which ports are closed? What ports are open?

On server: Which SMB versions are enabled? Which SMB versions are disabled? Which ports are closed? What ports are open?

Best Regards,

Leon

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:57 AM
  • You can bring the posts together.

The OS is indifferent as to whether it works on the server. The client or the machine I am trying to connect from is Windows 10 and will always be Windows 10. If the client is Windows 7 then there is no issue. Now with the client machine being Windows 10, the server as you call it, can be any OS but in this case it is either Win 7 or Win 10. 

SMBv1 is not enabled on any machine, just SMBv2 on all. 

On client no ports are closed, except for inbound 135 and 445. Server is the same. 

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Let's enter the most effective step.

On Client: Go to Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->SMBClient, then check logs here.

On Server: Go to Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->SMBServer, then check logs here.

Best Regards,

Leon

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:03 AM
  • Which logs and what are we looking for exactly?

Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:51 PM

• Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 21, 2019 7:41 AM
  • I meant which of those 4 logs and what are we looking for???
    Friday, June 21, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Reproduce your issue first, then check the warning and error messages in the logs according to the corresponding timestamp.

You can upload the screenshots of those messages or tell me in words.

Best Regards,

Leon

Monday, June 24, 2019 6:20 AM
  • I Don't Recommend Using One It Is Not Secure Back in the Day It Was Recommend you use A Third Party SMB You Need To Search For The Registry Keys For SMB's  And Change Some Things There 

also if you delete the Printer One  in your Network and you don't use  it it will make you connect from computer to computer faster

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:29 PM