none
Hyper-V server tries to act as gateway for whole network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have installed Hyper-V onto a Windows 10 Pro installation. I can setup up VM's without any issue; however, other computers on the network keep getting the Windows 10 computer's IP as their default gateway that then prevent them from accessing the internet.

It doesn't happen to all computers all the time but when they refresh their ip address. I am assuming that there is a DHCP setup automatically but I am not sure where or how since I don't set one up.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great! Thank you in advance.

**I originally posted in the server form and they said this is a more appropriate place for asking this question. Here is the link to the other question.**

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

Windows 10 Hyper-V will install a "default switch" with non-configurable NAT. 

Virtual machines connected to it will have access to the host’s network.The default switch does automatically assign an IP to the virtual machine (DNS and DHCP).

We cannot manage "DHCP" on default switch. 

>>other computers on the network keep getting the Windows 10 computer's IP as their default gateway that then prevent them from accessing the internet.

If possible, could you please post a ipconfig /all on the host and the VM? This will help us understand your machine configuration better.

>>What I was trying to do is have the VMs on the same network as the server itself rather than a different one.

I was confused about what you mean. If VMs connect to the default switch,the Hyper-V Default Switch will randomly use one these IP address ranges based on the host system IP address with 192.168 range or 172 range.

The Default Switch on the Host system always assign the first IP address of the chosen range to the virtual Ethernet Adaptor on the Host, and use this address as the Default Gateway and DNS server provided to the hosted VMs connected to it.

Upload the images in our forum directly so that I can do further analysis based on your question.

If you cannot upload the picture, your account just needs to be verified. You can expedite verification by replying to this thread with your request.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc4002e4-e3de-4b1e-9a97-3702387886cc/verify-account-42?forum=reportabug

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:19 AM
  • Hi ,

If you want static IP and never changes, you could create a EXTERNAL virtual switch, then connect it to your physical network adapter. Then inside your guest OS you can give a static IP to your OS and it will stay that way and never changes.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:27 AM
  • Guys,

Looks like this is a evry similar issue. I am going to try it and report back.

https://www.tenforums.com/virtualization/96729-hyper-v-virtual-switch-breaks-my-network-2.html

Friday, January 17, 2020 5:15 PM
  • Hi ,

Please feel free to let me know if you have any updates.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, January 20, 2020 2:15 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates on this issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:42 AM