none
Windows 10 black screen RRS feed

• Question

•  this is a problem with windows 10. about 2 weeks ago my computer wouldnt start beccause it couldnt find an .srt file of some sort. I spent the rest of that itme looking at the automatic repair tool fail to do anything; i couldnt go back to a previous version, use a restore point i had made, or enter safe mode. I tried all sorts of solutions. Eventually i decided to move over all my important files and just reinstall windows. Through using the Media creation tool after resetting the system, it prevented me from reinstall because it said the partition format was not acceptable for windows (said it was MBR but it hat to be GPT) so i erased the partition i was trying to reinstall windows on and went to advanced options on the repair my computer, in there was a option that seem like what i needed "UFE Settings" or something along those lines. Now im just looking at a black screen, i dont understand why im having so many issues. Somone please help

Friday, September 28, 2018 10:14 PM

All replies

• When installing Windows on UEFI-based PCs using Windows Setup, your hard drive partition style must be set up to support either UEFI mode or legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Reference:

Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style

So after setting the correct partition you shall start installing Windows 10.Follow the steps as described here  to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Proposed as answer by otto wang Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:56 AM
    Saturday, September 29, 2018 1:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post in our forum.

According to your description, when you try to reinstall the system, it failed.

Could you take some screenshots about how do you reinstall and what error message do you get?

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Otto Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 1, 2018 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Otto Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:56 AM