Windows 8.1 Built-in apps will not install or want repair RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am a sysadmin that is working on a Windows 8.1 deployment and we have found that a few of our users that have had their profiles migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 are unable to use the the built in applications (such as News, Weather etc).  I am able to install other applications from the store however the built in Windows 8.1 apps refuse to install with the error 0x80070005.

I have tried the following:
    1 - Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app
    2 - The Windows store opens correctly and if not can be solved by: the following:
    • Checking that HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages has the owner as system
    • Running powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML
    • Performing Store resets using wsreset.exe as admin and user based
    3 - tried running powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Get-AppxPackage -Allusers | Remove-AppxPackage and then trying again to re-install.
    4 - Tried running powershell  ((Get-ChildItem "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications") | Get-ItemProperty).Path | Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode
    5 - Windows All up to date.
    6 - Client normally uses WSUS to internal server, cleared these settings out and re-tried
    7 - Delete the regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\[UserSid]
    Restart.  <o:p></o:p>

The problem is isolated to single users on the machine and logging into a brand new profile the apps are able to be installed.  I could go through and delete the offending profile all together and retain their common files (i.e. desktop, my documents etc), however I want to know which part of the profile is actually causing the problem and not just nuke the entire profile.

Peter
    Sunday, December 1, 2013 11:18 PM

Answers

• I have managed to find the solution to my problem using ProcessMon and filtering for access denied entries.   After looking at each of the Access Denied statuses I was able to eliminate the denied portion to solve the problem.

I was able to monitor the file and registry changes that were occuring and I found a part of registry within the user profile which the user did not have access to. In my case the registry item that was denied was

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess

To solve the this problem I did the following:

• Log off the user with this problem
    • Login with the administrator account
    • run regedit
    • load the ntuser.dat registry hive for the offending account in c:\users\username\
    • Browse to \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess
    • Right click on this key and select permissions
    • give full permisssions to the user with the problem.
    • Close the hive
    • Logout as administrator
    • Login with user account
    • try the launch and install again.

This registry entry may be different to other peoples problem but I hope it solves at least one other persons problem.

Pete

• Marked as answer by PeterGGG Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:06 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:06 AM

All replies

• I am having the same issue you are.  I am unable to install any Apps, and get the error code 0x80070005.  There may be a few differences to how I arrived here, so here is my scenario:

I purchased a Windows 7 x64 to Windows 8 x64 Upgrade when they came out in February 2013 because Microsoft was handing them over for $40.  Due to my busy schedule and constant need for an operating system when I got off of work, I never managed to do the upgrade until i had a root kit introduced by my daughter.  After cleaning it off, my boot system was hosed and I figured reentering everything one line at a time was beyond the scope of what I was willing to do after both system restore points failed, and my backup decided it was not going to work either.  I decided now would be a great time to upgrade.

After I installed Windows 7 x64 Professional, I tried to do the Register Key and it failed.  I have had this same key for several years, and all hardware was exactly the same, so I was a little angry at Microsoft and their incessant "Please contact us by phone" to get it done.  It was Thanksgiving day, so not in the cards.  I just powered through to the next portion and did the Windows 8 upgrade.  When I was done, all was working fine and I underwent the several hours of update after update and restart.  Luckily I had upgraded to 150MBit download speed, so it wasnt as extreme as it could have been.

It wasn't until I decided to move a few files around (merge a 3TB drive back into 1 instead of splitting into 2x1.5GB that I realized Windows did not recognize my authority to add or delete files.  Essentially, I had no rights on my own computer.  Using an IT process,  I took my rights back, "changed ownership".  When I finished, I was able to delete the pesky files and merge my partitions, however, now my problems started.

I run Amazon Unbox with around 400 Videos (hence the 3TB drive formerly F & G, now D due to realignment of boot order.  It failed to recognize my authority via DRM (Digital Rights Management) to watch them.  I then noticed every single Amazon program I had purchased also failed to load.  After 2 days of deleting (one by one) each movie, downloading them again, I still ended up with an error that Amazon scratches their heed on and gives me a statement of "We've never heard of that one".  

I decided to go on with life and update the rest of my system.  The apps looked interesting enough and I was discovering that any update I did or download of software would not run directly from any website.  I had to save to the hard drive, then run it.  Anything initiated via the internet for installation purposes would blow up utterly, including Java Script, Adobe Acrobat Reader, even MSRT.  I also could not download defender to get something on my system, so was forced to use my ISP's free "McAfee Suite" and got something protecting me.

With the constant failure to allow any web based download / install it appears any and all apps will not be doable and I would better to just do the DELETE WINDOWS *.* command and load Windows 7 again and wait until WIndows 9 or 10 comes out and Bill Gates is elected President of the United States.

I have followed 4 different procedures, permissions / security / <name> \users and granting FULL CONTROL, to editing the registry as stated here and other places.  Nothing has done the trick.  I saw the "Delete Profile" option / choice that was not done but was mentioned and wondered if the two user accounts in my settings showing up like two deleted accounts might be the source.  I had assumed taking the rights back would do the trick.  Windows 8.1 makes me log in as my Windows Live ID which was different than my user name prior to this fiasco.  My son's account on another computer, created on mine to enable file sharing (400 Amazon Movies + 1300 other DivX and AVI movies) is probably the second account showing as "missing".  I wish Windows 8.1 was more Win XP to Win 7-ish so at least I could utilize 20+ years of IT experience.  I've had to pull everything out of my hat, and most of my tools are not Win 8 friendly so I am forced to rely on the other pioneers and their vague explanations or finding someone with a similar problem and using what seemed good from their trials to attempt to restore my system.  Honestly, another 2 days of this and Windows 8 will be deleted forever.

<EDIT> I must emphasize that ANY and ALL attempts to install directly from a website fail, so the APPs are not doable unless I can trace where they download to (temp folder or what) or even better, figure out WHY oh WHY things will not download and run directly.  Whether they are NEW to my system or UPDATING, it is 100% FAIL.  The "SAVE & RUN" option aborts so the "SAVE AS" option is all I have.  I watch the progress bar hit 99% and then it rolls backwards, and gives me the FAILURE message.

If I delete all accounts / ownership and take control of everything again, then reinstall everything, I doubt I will recover from this.  I hate to use another Windows 7 Key I have kept for an emergency just to see if that wasnt the issue.  I truly wanted to Dual-Boot but Upgrade is not the same as FULL so even though it said "Install in a Different Location" it still managed to wipe out All of my Documents and Desktop folders.  Those were what blew up on the restore.  I love Bioware's Dragon Age 1 & 2 and literally lost 300GB (and 3 years of playing) worth of Game Mods and other related files.  If not for my Dropbox account, 14 Novels I wrote would also have been erased, or more specifically, the edits I have been making over the past year or so.

• Edited by mpscouten Monday, December 2, 2013 4:30 AM EMPHASIS ON SETUP
    Monday, December 2, 2013 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

To fix this issue, we can try to reset permissions on whole computer by using following commands:

cd /d c:\[folders or files you would like to reset permission]

icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

If the issue persists, we can use Process monitor to troubleshoot the permission issue:

Solving Access Denied Errors Using Process Monitor

http://improve.dk/solving-access-denied-errors-using-process-monitor/

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:32 PM
  • How do I complete this step?

7 - Delete the regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\[UserSid]

I am in the "Registry Editor" and I follow the path to "AppxAllUserStore" but then I am lost. What file do I delete? (If any)

I have completed all others and some of my apps are still not working. For example my Kindle, Music, Ect.

Help!

-Marie

Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Hi Marie,

Your account SID can be found by using wmic command.  Here are some instructions: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry/ht/find-user-security-identifier.htm

• Edited by PeterGGG Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:59 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:58 AM
  • I have managed to find the solution to my problem using ProcessMon and filtering for access denied entries.   After looking at each of the Access Denied statuses I was able to eliminate the denied portion to solve the problem.

I was able to monitor the file and registry changes that were occuring and I found a part of registry within the user profile which the user did not have access to. In my case the registry item that was denied was

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess

To solve the this problem I did the following:

• Log off the user with this problem
    • Login with the administrator account
    • run regedit
    • load the ntuser.dat registry hive for the offending account in c:\users\username\
    • Browse to \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess
    • Right click on this key and select permissions
    • give full permisssions to the user with the problem.
    • Close the hive
    • Logout as administrator
    • Login with user account
    • try the launch and install again.

This registry entry may be different to other peoples problem but I hope it solves at least one other persons problem.

Pete

• Marked as answer by PeterGGG Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:06 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:06 AM
  • Hi Kate,

I did try the icacls with no positive results.  After going back to processmon (which I did look at initially before posting but came back to it after the icacls did not work)

Peter

Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:08 AM