none
"turn windows features on" An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install IIS on Vista Business 32bit which was installed with the new laptop.

I have tried under Turn windows features on or off and get the error.

An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed.

I have tried

Start /w pkgmgr /uu:IIS-WebServerRole;WAS-WindowsActivationService and then reinstalling

I have tried installing from the admin command line and get error 123.  In the event log I get many errors saying something to the effect of "Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package XYZ (Feature/Language Pack) into Installed(Installed) state".

I have also tried installing from diagnostic mode with no luck.

I also tried installing the windows games and got the same error message. 

Searching the web and forums it seems to be a common problem.  The only solution I have seen so far that has worked is installing the pc to manufacturer settings.

When will Microsoft patch this bug?

Sunday, February 3, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

• Tim

Thanks for following up.  I gave up a couple of days ago and restored my laptop to factory settings.  IIS installed with no problem after the restore.  Maybe Shan can give it a try and let us know if your solution worked or not.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:13 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the post.

IIS7 installation is dependent on Windows Process Activation Service (WAS). If WAS is damaged, we are probably unable to install or uninstall IIS7.

SUGGESTION:

1) Uninstall WAS (Windows Process Activation Service) by unchecking the whole subtree for the parent node "Windows Process Activation Service" (including all the expended options under "Windows Process Activation Service").

2) Uninstall IIS.

3) Reinstall IIS.

NOTE:

1) After uninstalling WAS, if IIS shows as uninstalled, we need to skip the IIS uninstallation step above and directly the IIS installation.

2) During IIS installation, when we check ON the features of IIS, this will automatically enable the WAS features (checks them ON if they are not already installed).

3) But if we uninstall IIS, WAS will not be automatically removed.

ROOT CAUSE:

WAS (Windows Process Activation Service) feature package is a dependent package for IIS feature package. If the uninstallation of either IIS or WAS is interrupted, it might result in the damage of WAS. If that is the case, no matter how many times we try to install IIS, we would continue to get the error “An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed” because we are trying to install IIS over busted WAS infrastructure.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Error message when you try to install the ASP.NET feature in IIS 7.0: "An error has occurred"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929772/en-us

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Frank Meffert Monday, March 2, 2015 6:30 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:48 AM
  • WAS has never been checked including the subtree.  I uninstalled WAS from the cmd line just in case and then tried reinstalling IIS and still does not work.  Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:48 PM
  •  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Have you tried the suggestion in the following article? If not, please have a try.

Error message when you try to install the ASP.NET feature in IIS 7.0: "An error has occurred"

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Yes I tried.  My computer does not have Inetmgr so this fix is not relavent to my problemAlso my computer was not an upgrade from XP it came installed with Vista.  I also believe this issue goes beyond IIS since I can not install other windows features (for example Solitaire).

Chris

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:36 PM
  • I have the exact same problem installing IIS 7 on my Vista home premium. I tried installing IIS 6 but it didnt installed as well. not sure what to do???

any posssible suggestions solutions are highly appreciated

shan
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:15 PM
  •  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Now let’s try the following steps:

1.  Click Start , type %windir%\winsxs in the Start Search box 

2.  Press ENTER. 

3.  Locate and right-click the pending.xml file. 

4.  Click to select Properties. 

5.  Click the Security tab, and then click Edit. 

6.  Click Users, and then click to select Allow Full control. 

7.  Click OK two times. 

8.  Try to delete the pending.xml file again. 

If the issue persists, I suggest perform a System File Checker.

System File Checker

=============

1. If we have Windows Vista installation DVD disc, Please put it in the DVD/CD-ROM, if not, Please perform step 3 directly.

2. Click "Exit" if the auto-menu pops up.

3. Click start, click All Programs, click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:31 AM
  • Tim

Thanks for following up.  I gave up a couple of days ago and restored my laptop to factory settings.  IIS installed with no problem after the restore.  Maybe Shan can give it a try and let us know if your solution worked or not.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Hello!

Thank you Tim for all of the trouble shooting tips you have given.  I just wanted to add that I am having the same issue with a custom build Vista Ultimate x64 edtion.  It's actually fresh from an reformat, and has only had the updates and drivers from Windows update installed.  I wanted to mention to you that I do not have a pending.xml file located in the file path you had mentioned (even after showing hidden files and folders).  I did notice that I had a huge number of of duplicate folders with the same information except the language was different (example EN, FR, GE, etc.).  I had installed all of the VIsta Ultimate Extras Language packs, and I'm wondering if that wasn't the greatest of ideas.

Since this seems to be a result of a corrupted installation, could it possibly be related to a hardware compatibility issue?  I had both an on-board midi and an on-board game port that I had to disable after I had installed the OS.  I'm right now running the System File Check, and if that doesn't work I am going to do a fresh reformat using my newly acquired Vista (x64) with SP1 DVD (I have an MSDN subscription).  I have tried almost everything so far, I'l let you know how it works out.

~ Nathan

Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Hi all,

exactly the same behaviour here with Vista Ultimate (64bit) and I've installed all the addons (why did I ever do that don't ask).

I only wanted to add that the process takes several minutes before it fails and during that time TrustedInstaller.exe is fully utilising one processor core.

Otherwise it was a new install from official DVD and I also have compatibiliy issues with midi & game port, but I doubt it's related.

Vas.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:32 PM
  • Hello. After painfully reading through this whole article having the same problem of not being able to add any windows features, I am still left without a solution. Can I ask if anyone now knows of any fix to this problem, I am running Vista Business and IIS or Windows Process Activation Service are both not installed.

Alex
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Hello,

I am having same problem, cannot install or uninstall any Windows Features. Getting same error message "An error has ocurred. Not all features where succesfully changed". I Just installed SP1 hoping it would solve the problem, it did not, did not seem to affect it at all. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit with all updates installed (Including Language Packs). I noticed this thread was marked as answered. Is there a fix?

Greg

Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Just as a joke I retried IIS 7 install - and it was still broken as many others have reported. As far as I can tell there is no solution to the problem being reported, nor any particular understanding of the root cause. I went through msft support on this had they had no clue. There is no answer up thread other than go read some kb article that doesn't help, or uninstall process activation service - which isn't installed in my case and which I can't install as ALL features not installed are broken.

Sorry responding so late but I was googling to see if anyone has actually fixed this hideous mess and the answer is no.

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:53 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I can't upgrade my Vista 64-bit Ultimate install with SP1 update package or Vista64 SP1 DVD.  I can't reinstall Vista64 w/o SP1.  All methods fail saying they cannot update certain components.

I can't manually uninstall features from my Vista64 installation either.

Can someone at Microsoft look into this?

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Attempting to uninstall WAS ends with the same result "An error occurred...."

Nothing in "Turn Windows Features on or off" can actually be changed, the end result is always this same error message.

"An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed."

None of the features are ever successfully changed.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Hello, I have Vista Ultimate 64, the TOP of the line product... I also bought Visual Studio 2008 professional to build asp.net applications...

I have the Same problems mentioned here for a long time now....(quite a few months) I refuse to re-install vista and all my environment, IIS just refuses to install.

How difficult is it for Microsoft to fix this problem??? or provide a solution???

How difficult is it to just manually reset whatever causes this problem?

WAS cannot be installed any more, IIS gives an error on setup (any configuration I tried),

Please dont suggest re-installing the whole platform, its not a solution...

Thanks, Emmanouil Filippou

Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:12 AM
  • This thread was started in February. It is now almost the end of June. It is clear that this problem is widespread and that there appears to be no solution other than 'reinstall vista'.  410 google hits for the exact phrase 'an error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed".

Here is a typical frustrated user getting advice that goes nowhere:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/158787-error-has-occurred-not-all-features-were-successfully-changed.html

and here:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32311514/an-error-has-occurred-no.aspx

another happy vista user:

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-vista/232714-error-has-occurred-not-all-features-were-successfully-changed.html

and here

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-vista-installation/error-has-occurred-not-all-fo-features-were-successfully-changed-167748.html

and on and on and on.... amazing. I know BillG has called in rich, but has all of Microsoft taken the rest of their lives off?
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Same problem, Crappy VISTA

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:51 AM
  • Hello again,

Does anyone that has paid microsoft for support get any solution on this?

Is this the only way to solve this problem? Pay microsoft more money to solve the problems their products cause???

I am professional and this has decreased my productivity ... its been over 5 months now I have this problem, and even though the solution should be very simple, there is no response....

Is there another procedure that doesnt involve me paying more money to microsoft to resolve this issue??

Is there any Microsoft employee in this forum that can responsibly answer any of these questions???

Regards, Emmanouil Filippou

• Proposed as answer by GEnriquez Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 9:01 AM
  • For a while they offered free support around sp1 upgrade issues. I took this problem there and they were totally clueless. There does not appear to be any internal knowledge about this problem and how to fix it. Also, this forum appears to work such that nobody from Microsoft responds once a thread is marked as answered, as this one is. So it seems that the only way to get even a response from Microsoft on this issue here is to start a new thread.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 11:12 AM
  • I have the same problem. can not turn on any features.  

Can anyone from Microsoft take a look at this issue as this is a wide-spread problem?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Thanks to MarkRoddy, I created a new thread on this, everyone interrested please post your incidents too in that post to help find a solution, or even better, I would suggest you create your own threads too if you have different situations to the same problem.

Regards, Emmanouil Filippou

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:14 PM
  • I had the same symptoms as most people in this thread.  I believe the problem was due to having too many language packs installed, and the solution is to uninstall them.  Please see my write up for more information: http://aaronwl.com/research/cs/os/windows/bugs/vista_features_fail.htm

Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  

This post was right on.  I was experiencing excactly the same thing that chrismae was.  I, like him did not have inetmgr installed so i couldnt do this fix right off the bat.  I installed a very minimal set of iis features (which included inetmgr) and was then able to follow the steps to solve this without reinstalling or restoring.  Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Thanh H Pham Friday, March 1, 2013 9:03 AM
    Monday, December 1, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Well, it's January 2009 and Microsoft never fixed this widespread problem apparently.

I am getting the same error messages. I discoved it trying to activate IIS on Windows Vista Ultimate.

Took me a while to realize that it's not just an IIS/Vista problem. I cannot even do something simple like uninstall FreeCell without getting the same message:

"Please wait while the features are configured. This might take several minutes."

and moments later

"An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed."

Tried to reinstall Vista and got a blue screen of death. This is a new laptop from Dell with very little other software installed, outside of antivirus updates and Windows Update updates.

I am now waiting for a call from Microsoft Technical Support.

I used one of my MSDN subscription incidents to get support without having to pay MORE money to Microsoft.

However, their service levels are bad. They told me I have to wait up to 8 Hours (!!!!) to get a call from support. I just have this feeling it's gonna be a low-level tech that can't fix the issue.

I will keep you posted and let you know if there is a solution.

AARGGGH!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Any joy? I have the same issue and have already wasted an entire day trying to resolve it but no luck. I am under lot of pressure with deadlines ATM and cannot afford a complete re-install of Vista and all my development apps. 
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Tim,
    Sadly I am having the same issue as the others have reported.  None of the suggestions have fixed the problem.

Micky D
    Friday, March 13, 2009 9:49 AM
  • OK. Managed to get around it by removing all the language packs. I don't understand why but I had about 20 of the damned things installed (I never chose to have them installed when setting up Vista) and I couldn't uninstall them in one go. I had to painstakingly remove each one individually. Took me about 3 hours! But its working now :)
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Hi guys
    Let me tell u a sad news.
    I'm using Windows 7 Build 7600 64bit right now, and I have the same problem.
    Seems that this error is never fixed by microsoft and it is now occuring in Windows 7.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:08 PM
  • ok now I finally got the answer.
    I started with a clean installation of Windows 7. Without activating it, I added IIS to the system and it worked. Then I used a crack to activate Windows. Immediately after restart, I cannot modify Windows features anymore. Obviously it is a problem with the activation stuff. I don't know how the guys come up with the cracks, but I re-installed Windows 7 again, this time a typed the correct product key and activated Windows 7 as if what should be done when you buy a licensed copy of Windows. This time no problems came up.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:55 AM
  • I had installed IIS on vista home premium when i did it first time ,I uninstalled it and now when i try to reinstall it, it first take more than 20 minutes
    and after that it displays an error has occured not all features were installed successfully. End result unable to install IIS.

One more thing before restarting system IIS remain installed and also accessable through administrative tools , but as soon as you restart according to the message shown to restart after IIS installation , everything is gone i.e. IIS installtion gone also folders gone from C:\interpub

I may get the intallion correct by reinstalling vista all over again but i dont want to do that ,this solution i read somewhere on net 
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:18 PM
  •  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the post.

IIS7 installation is dependent on Windows Process Activation Service (WAS). If WAS is damaged, we are probably unable to install or uninstall IIS7.

SUGGESTION:

1) Uninstall WAS (Windows Process Activation Service) by unchecking the whole subtree for the parent node "Windows Process Activation Service" (including all the expended options under "Windows Process Activation Service").

2) Uninstall IIS.

3) Reinstall IIS.

NOTE:

1) After uninstalling WAS, if IIS shows as uninstalled, we need to skip the IIS uninstallation step above and directly the IIS installation.

2) During IIS installation, when we check ON the features of IIS, this will automatically enable the WAS features (checks them ON if they are not already installed).

3) But if we uninstall IIS, WAS will not be automatically removed.

ROOT CAUSE:

WAS (Windows Process Activation Service) feature package is a dependent package for IIS feature package. If the uninstallation of either IIS or WAS is interrupted, it might result in the damage of WAS. If that is the case, no matter how many times we try to install IIS, we would continue to get the error “An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed” because we are trying to install IIS over busted WAS infrastructure.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

This worked for me. I have Vista 64-bit Business. I had IIS installed and then decided to turn it off. When I tried to re-install it (e.g. turn the feature on) it was repeatedly failing. It'd go through the reboot and then say that the upgrade could not finish. The system would then reboot again, rollback the changes, and nothing would be installed. 

I disabled WAS as discussed here. Restarted when prompted. Then went back to turn on the IIS features I needed and it finally installed. Four hours of fiddling...gah....

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Thank you, Jestrr ! This approach worked for me. It failed only when I installed the feature "World Wide Web Services\Common HTTP Features\HTTP Errors"
    Friday, March 1, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Tim's answer worked for me as well on Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

My WAS was completely unchecked, but I was still getting the error in question. I manually checked the entire tree, pressed 'OK' to let it install, then checked everything under 'Internet Information Services'.

IIS installed without any errors.

Thank you much.

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:32 PM
  • It worked. Thanks so much!!!
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:42 AM