none
Running an app using directdraw in a Virtual PC

Question

• Hello,

I have a multimedia app my company wants to run on virtual machines for in-house testing.  Basically it captures from a web cam and draws the picture to the screen using direct drawl. During initialization it returns an error (-2005532527) DDERR_INVALIDPIXELFORMAT when creating the back surface.  The software configures the web cam provide the video in compression format “mmioFOURCC(‘I’,’4’,’2’,’0’).”  

Through my research (I am new to virtual machines) I found that the virtual video adapter, “S3 Trio 32/64,” is limited on its capabilities. Is my problem a limitation of this video adapter?

The application is intended to run on a real machine, and it runs without error in this case. There is no option of changing the software. I need to define if using a virtual pc is a legitimist tool for testing the app in-house. The virtual machine is running Windows XP.

Thank you

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Possibly, it depends on what the app is looking for.  The emulated video card is very basic, it handles the basic office apps, but its not a good solution for multimedia and definitely not a solution for anything that needs 3d hardware acceleration.

Other VM solutions, like VM Ware player have a more robust emulated video card, so that might help you, but again you're still not getting direct access to the host's video card, its still an emulated video card.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:43 PM

All replies

• Possibly, it depends on what the app is looking for.  The emulated video card is very basic, it handles the basic office apps, but its not a good solution for multimedia and definitely not a solution for anything that needs 3d hardware acceleration.

Other VM solutions, like VM Ware player have a more robust emulated video card, so that might help you, but again you're still not getting direct access to the host's video card, its still an emulated video card.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

If you are testing an application that suppose to run on a real machine, specially when it depends on the hardware such as video card capabilities, virtual machines is not a very good way to test it. 

But the virtual disk boot feature in Windows 7 is a great way to test such applications. With that, you can boot the real machine using a virtual disk (.vhd file). Then the system has access to all the hardware without going through a virtual layer. If you keep a copy of the .vhd file, when you need to refresh the machine ( revert to snapshot) all you need to do is just copying that file. It can be done by booting to the real hard disk or to another .vhd file.

MS supports booting Win7 in this way and I use it for testing. It is really great. There were posts in the web saying you can boot Vista with that too, but have never tried.

Krish

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:46 AM