none
Vista backup failing with "Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF"

Question

• I'm trying to backup my Vista Ultimate machine using the built-in backup program. Doing a complete PC backup works fine, but the "Back Up Files" option always fails with the following error:

Catastrophic failure 0x8000FFFF

This happens after some 10-15 seconds inhto the shadow copy.

I've been searching for a solution in this forum and all kinds of places I can think of, only finding others who have the same problem, but no solution. I have no clue what to do.

I've tried chkdsk /f on both the master disk and the backup disk. Backing up to another disk generates the same error. The Windows Event Log is just as informative as above with no more information.

System description:

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit (installed from fresh DVD with SP1 included)
    Master disk: 80 GB
    Backup disk: 250 GB (150 GB free)
    4 GB RAM

It's a newly installed system from scratch. Before the rebuild the backup worked like a charm, no issues whatsoever. I can search for and restore files from the old backups without problems.

Any ideas or solutions?

Mike

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:54 AM

Answers

• Ok folks, I now have a solution (to my problem):

While still waiting for feedback from Microsoft (see above), I ran across this post, where Christine Fok from Microsoft helped another user with a similar problem.

Even if my system was newly installed, one of the first things I did was to create a test user with a profile on a non-default location. I wanted to explore the possibility to store a user's complete profile and documents on another physical disk. After doing some testing, I disabled that user but didn't delete it.

I deleted the user as well as the related profile registry entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList after backing it up, and rebooted. After that I was able to make a successful backup.

So, to all of you who still experience the 0x8000FFFF backup error, have a look to see if there are any profile entries in the registry that are corrupt (point to non-existing locations) - and make sure to back up any entries before you delete them.

And finally, to whom it may concern within Microsoft: I'd appreciate more informative error messages from the backup system. If the problem is an inaccessible path or file, why not tell the user about it, while still backing up everything that is accessible?

Mike

Monday, May 26, 2008 1:30 PM

All replies

• SweMike,

I am having the same problem with a different system.

Dell E521
    Vista Home
    I have added more memory and a video card but otherwise it is "factory stock." (See Below)

OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
    Version    6.0.6000 Build 6000
    OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer    Dell Inc
    System Model    Dimension E521
    Processor    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2
    BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc 1.1.11, 8/2/2007
    SMBIOS Version    2.4
    Windows Directory    C:\Windows
    System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume3
    Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6000.20500"
    Total Physical Memory    3,069.88 MB
    Available Physical Memory    1.74 GB
    Total Virtual Memory    6.18 GB
    Available Virtual Memory    4.83 GB
    Page File Space    3.29 GB

I have done backups in the past. A backup and restore icon on my quick launch bar has been nagging me to do a full backup. When I launched the backup service I received the same Catastrophic failure 0x8000FFFF message you received.

I googled the message and find it showing up on many sites. Microsoft knows about the problem but I cannot find a simple answer to the backup/resrore question. It shows up on the Vista 64 sites as well as the 32bit sites.

This has to be a deep problem, probably due to one of the "upgrades" installed in the recent past.

Inky
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Thank you for your answer Inky,

Yes, I have seen plenty of others with the same issue. If anyone from Microsoft read this, I'd be more than happy to assist with any kind of information, testing or beta testing to get some kind of patch or other fix for this problem. Or at least a confirmation that Microsoft are working on a solution.

*sigh*

Mike

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Make sure that the "Volume Shadow Copy" service is enabled and running:

Right click on Computer in the start menu and choose Manage.

In the left pane, expand Services and Applications.  Click on Services.

Scroll down to find "Volume Shadow Copy".  It should have a status of Started and a startup type of Automatic.  If not, you need to enable it:

Right click on the service "Volume Shadow Copy" and click Properties.  Change statup type to Started and then click Apply.  After clicking Apply, click Start.  Now click OK and try backing up again.
    • Proposed as answer by jmitch2192 Thursday, April 02, 2009 3:10 AM
    Monday, April 21, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Thank you for your answer, elib. I tried your solution. The Volume Shadow Copy service was set to manual and disabled, but setting it to Automatic and starting it didn't fix the problem - I still get exactly the same error, see below.

I wonder if there's any command line option to sdclt.exe (the name of the Windows Vista Backup program) like the /CHECKFULL to enable some kind of debug logging? I'd really like to know what was expected by the program when it failed...  

Mike

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Backup
    Date:          2008-04-22 09:46:57
    Event ID:      4104
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      *hidden*
    Description:
    File backup failed. The error is: Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF).
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Backup" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">4104</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-22T07:46:57.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2754</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>*hidden*</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)</Data>
        <Binary>FFFF0080E0040000F10600000D070000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Well, elib, I tried your fix and received the same "catistrophic failurte" message as SweMike, at first.

I re-read your post, checked the settings (they were as I had set them from your instructions) and tried a second flie backup. This time it worked (sort of).

About 20 minutes into the process I received an error message saying I was out of space on the backup disk. I will now clean out the old files and try it again but I expect you have solved my problem.

Thanks for the information. I never would have found that shadow copy without your help.

Live long and prosper.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:46 AM
  • I'm happy that it worked for you elib. Over here on my side, I still get the same error.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:53 AM
  • Since I upgraded to Sp1 I got the same problem, error message 0x8000FFFF shortly after the back up starts. Seems a problem introduced in Vista SP1. Starting the Volume Shadow Copy services as suggested does not solve the problem.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:18 PM
  • i'm not so sure it has anything to do with SP1 as it hasnt become available for my paricular computer yet. since i double check what updates they want me to do by not allowing windows to just install without asking me first. and i havent gotten SP1 offered to me yet. the backup fails with the catastrophic error 0x8000FFFF. something in my computer is also not letting things install properly, and my anti virus, spywaremalware comes up empty, yet wont update properly when it comes time. so i am restoring the laptop to its factory condition... and starting from scratch. oh well... not a big deal. first time having to do it and have owned the laptop since 1 feb 2007. thank heavens for dual drives.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 7:57 PM
  • well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is having this problem. I checked the "Volume Shadow Copy" as well and it was Started but set to Manual. I set it to Automatic and restarted the service but I still get this Catastrophic Failure error message when I try to do a backup. =(

Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:04 PM
  • I wonder if the problem has to do with the C:\System Volume Information\Windows Backup\ folder and its contents (it's a hidden system folder) My last backup was on April 10, and this is also the modification date of some of the files in there. Don't want to poke around too much in there though...but I wonder if deleting the content may reset everything? If it was a while ago since I tried making the backup, it takes longer time for the error to show, if I force a new backup shortly after the previous attempt, I get the same error almost instantly.

Have anyone of you who are experiencing the same error as I ever been able to make a successful backup, or did it never work for you?

SweMike
    Thursday, May 01, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Hi! -  I think my information could help you.

I hightly recommend you to use Acronis True Image (Recommended)

They have the best Back-up software in the market. (The whole world

Buy the software here: http://eu.acronis.com/ 

And belive me this software works I mean it really works with no problems.

Have a great day...

I wish you the best of luck.... 

Friday, May 02, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Hi!

I don't recommend you to use Microsoft Windows Vista Back-up system.

Windows Back-up system have never worked, like I said before it's better to use 3rd party softwares.

Have a great day...

I wish you the best of luck...... 

Friday, May 02, 2008 6:48 PM
  •  Itknowledge24.com wrote:

Hi! -  I think my information could help you.

I hightly recommend you to use Acronis True Image (Recommended)

They have the best Back-up software in the market. (The whole world

Buy the software here: http://eu.acronis.com/ 

And belive me this software works I mean it really works with no problems.

Have a great day...

I wish you the best of luck.... 

Thank you for your suggestion. I am indeed looking at alternative solutions to the built-in backup in Vista Ultimate - and I'll have a serious look at Acronis too. I have many years experience from Norton Ghost too - anyone with experience (good or bad) from the latest version together with Vista?

What bothers me is that I have paid for a product (Windows Vista Ultimate) that does not work - and I don't feel like paying even more to fix it. No matter if the solution is to pay Microsoft to open a support ticket (and maybe fix the problem) or to abandon it and go for a 3rd party software.

As this seem to be a quite common problem, I wish someone from Microsoft would step forward and start collecting information/logs/etc...and actually do something. I'd be happy to help.

Mike
    Friday, May 02, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Hey SweMike, mine has never worked at all. I got the computer I have now in November, and it told me then to do a backup but I didn't have the media yet and kept forgetting to buy the media until recently. I got some dvd-rw discs and the backup began failing imediately. It stops with this error (Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF) as it's making a shadow copy and the Volume Shadow Service keeps stopping itself when the backup attempts (though this appears random, I can't duplicate the results everytime which makes it hard to figure out why it's stopping). I have noticed that it copies over one folder but it doesn't copy anything into the folder (the folder has a blue down arrow on it and I have no idea what that means since I can't copy anything into it or anything else). The folder belongs to my husband, it's his name; perhapsit could be that folder causing the error? Something in there? I don't know where the backup hidden folder is though to delete the stuff in it.

BTW the computer I have is an HP Pavilion model a6200n with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+. The computer's system panel (in control panel) shows that the version of Vista I'm running is Home Premium. I haven't installed SP1 yet, it just recently showed up on my windows update (I just noticed it today. I also don't want my windows update installing things without my okay. From XP I learned quickly to check once a week or two for updates with MS Update).

I've tried a few free third party programs suggested by others because I too have been told that Microsoft Backup isn't the best but sorry Itknowledge24, I'm not going to pay for it - I don't feel I should have to. However it doesn't seem that switching to another program is much of a fix. The free ones I've tried though, I've yet to get them to work properly either, they fail returning an error as well but none explain why (it still seems to copy that same empty folder which is my husband's name). I read on another site that Backup works just fine and if given the right amount of information a solution might be found (but the original poster didn't follow up and it won't allow me to respond to the forum bit or find the person asking for more data. I'm also not extremely knowledgable on Vista to know how to get the error data you spit out a few posts ago, SweMike). Here's where I found that post:

http://www.tutorials-win.com/WindowsXP/backup-failure-1861009/

It seems to be a tutorial site, but most of the solutions are the same as Itknowledge24's response, "Don't use Vista Backup, use something else" which doesn't really help me a lot, especially since it's not working either . So for now I'm content just to backup my stuff by placing the folders onto a CD. Though I'd rather have this automated; it makes it easier, and cost effective to use the program that comes with Vista rather than buying something that Vista offers for free. Even if many don't like the Backup Vista offers; there is a solution to this and I feel that by finding it we'll help others also experiencing this.

- Leigh

Saturday, May 03, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  

Hi there,

The error 0x8000FFFF for backup represents a "generic" failure that the backup program has no specific knowledge about. This could be a problem with backup, or a problem with other components in the OS that backup works with. Therefore the different cases of 0x8000FFFF mentioned here may or may not be caused by the same problem.

If you could send me the etl files under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup, I'll be happy to look at them and try to figure out the cause.

Regards,

Christine

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 05, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Hello Christine,

Thank you for your reply! I tried e-mailing you at the address you have listed in your profile, but the message bounced back (550 5.7.1 unable to relay for ***your address hidden in this post***)

I'd be happy to supply you with my log files - just tell me where to send them!

Best regards,

Mike

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Oh sorry I forgot to mention. Please remove "online" from my email address.

Regards,

Christine

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:54 PM
  • The built in Vista CHKDSK utility fixed the problem for me.  This is how I got it to run.

1. From the Start Menu, click on Backup Status and Configuration 

2. Select Change Backup Settings

3. Select Hard Disk, CD, or DVD

4. Click Next

5. I highlighted the C drive in blue which was already checked.

6. When I tried to continue I was prompted with a "This drive has errors"  message and I selected "Schedule CHKDSK to run on startup"

7. I closed all the windows, logged out, and selected Restart from the bottom right corner.

8. I then selected Backup Now from Backup Status and Configuration

9. On the first attempt I got an "Access is denied (0X80070005)" error message.

10. After I closed that error window, THE BACKUP STARTED AGAIN BY ITSELF and it completed successfully.

I have my Vista Home Premium set for Automatic File Backup.

Good Luck

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:12 PM
  •  

Hi -

I am having this same error with Vista Home while trying to do back ups.  I've tried the earlier listed "fixes" with the exception of the 3rd party back ups.  I still cannot get a back up completed. 

Has there been a "fix" yet for this problem?

Wendy

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:17 AM
  • I use the vista backup. It worked fine at first. Then for some reason it would get to the very end and fail. After applying SP1 for Vista, it works great. I'm not sure if installing other software would make it fail or me turning off too many services. One advantage to using the built in backup is that it creates VHD files. Those can be used/mounted in Vitual PC as a regular drive. (Vitual PC is a freebe used by MANY folks.)

Acronis is also a great product. Very dependable.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:59 AM
  •  wendy227 wrote:

Hi -

I am having this same error with Vista Home while trying to do back ups.  I've tried the earlier listed "fixes" with the exception of the 3rd party back ups.  I still cannot get a back up completed. 

Has there been a "fix" yet for this problem?

Wendy

I have sent my logs to Christine according to her instructions, but haven't heard anything since.

Mike - still without a backup...
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Hi - people!

Please listen to me my suggestion is best and works.

You all have heard about Acronis  please go and buy Acronis True Image it's the best back-up system on the market plus it's recommended by many IT-experts and IT-technical teams.

Visit: http://www.acronis.com I'm using acronis and it works fine the latest version works great on Windows Vista.

You know people Acronis Compute with confidence.  

Have a great day people.....

Best regards,

Fisnik   

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:16 PM
  •  Itknowledge24.com wrote:

You all have heard about Acronis  please go and buy Acronis True Image it's the best back-up system on the market plus it's recommended by many IT-experts and IT-technical teams.

Dear Fisnik,

Thank you for your feedback and for recommending an alternative product. Your solution have already been recommended in this thread and many other threads related to the same error, so please stick to the subject and only post to this thread if you have something new to come with, to make it a useful for everyone who's watching it.

I'm still waiting for feedback from Microsoft and I will indeed ditch the Vista backup solution in favor of a 3rd party solution if this is not resolved soon - but I thought I'd give Microsoft a chance to do something about the problem first.

Mike
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Ok folks, I now have a solution (to my problem):

While still waiting for feedback from Microsoft (see above), I ran across this post, where Christine Fok from Microsoft helped another user with a similar problem.

Even if my system was newly installed, one of the first things I did was to create a test user with a profile on a non-default location. I wanted to explore the possibility to store a user's complete profile and documents on another physical disk. After doing some testing, I disabled that user but didn't delete it.

I deleted the user as well as the related profile registry entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList after backing it up, and rebooted. After that I was able to make a successful backup.

So, to all of you who still experience the 0x8000FFFF backup error, have a look to see if there are any profile entries in the registry that are corrupt (point to non-existing locations) - and make sure to back up any entries before you delete them.

And finally, to whom it may concern within Microsoft: I'd appreciate more informative error messages from the backup system. If the problem is an inaccessible path or file, why not tell the user about it, while still backing up everything that is accessible?

Mike

Monday, May 26, 2008 1:30 PM
  • I tried Acronis True Image. Didn't work for me. Luckily they sent me my money. I wonder if this guy works for Acronis

Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Hi elib,

I'm having the same problem backing up, I also cannot install Service pack 1, I get the same message.

I'm using VISTA Business. My backup used to work, for no reason that I can think of I get the 0x8000FFFF.

I'm trying to backup on an external drive with plenty of space.

I' ve tried what you recommend about having the "Volume Shadow Copy" status started and startup type Automatic.

It didn't work.  My backup seems to work for a short while then a red streak appears in the window and it says

"a shadow copy could not be created for the following reasons 0x8000FFF"

It seems that MANY users are having this problem. Can Microsoft solve this problem? Do you recommend any other solution?

Some vendors recommend that something is wrong with my register and they sell software to correct the problem.

Should I buy their software?

Anyway please do what you can to help us,

Gabe1

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Hi Christine:

I'm having the same problem, I've tried everything I know, which is not much, but nothing seems to work.

I think you work for Microsoft. If I'm correct can you tell me if Microsoft is looking into this problem.

I know that backup is very inportant. I have been using Microsoft's Back up and restore and it has been working. This problem just popped up and I think it occured after I downloaded updates from Microsoft.

I can't save my entire system, or data, or load service pack 1.

I can get to the etl file but can't print it or do anything with it.

Can you please help us?

Thanks,

Gabe1

Friday, June 27, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I have the same problem backing up a HP slimline pavilion, and have hunted forums high and low, i came across a possible solution, and its a microsoft solution so why is there no reference to this here, it dates from last year and 6 months later its looks to have been forgotten

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2464956&SiteID=17

and where are Microsoft with a solution for this backup problem, it is quite a common problem and reported on systems high and low spec, if its a simple process clash, then when backup is run, why cant vista re-boot to a clean boot as laid out in the above thread, run backup, then re-start as normal, it would not take the worlds biggest software company long to write that code.

Can anyone advise if they have tried this?

Thanks

Rob

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:49 AM
  • Hi Gabe1 & Rob,

As mentioned in a previous post, the error 0x8000FFFF for represents a "generic" failure that the backup program has no specific knowledge about. This could be a problem with backup, or a problem with other components in the OS that backup works with. Therefore the different cases of 0x8000FFFF mentioned here may or may not be caused by the same problem.

If you could send me (remove "online" from my email address) the etl files under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup, I'll be happy to work with the development team to figure out what the cause for your specific failure might be.

Regards,

Christine

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:05 PM
  • Christine,

I get the 0x8000FFFF error trying to create a restore point on Vista Home Premium. I tried to get the files from C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup but I get this message: "Can't open access control editor. Class not registered." How do I get past this message?

Thanks . . . John

PS I figured out how to open the directory and it was empty.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:17 AM
  • Hi Christine,

thanks for the reply. Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, between school and a new job I've been extremely busy =). I'll happily send those files to you!

And to the person suggesting to buy another product, sorry but NO, NO, NO. I've already said this before but I'm not going to buy another product when I'm already on a very tight budget and the computer I have has a the same software for free. That's insane and silly. Especially when if I really have to back something up I can just copy it to a CD or DVD or flash drive.

anyways thanks again Christine, I'll send those out right away =).

- Leigh

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:21 AM
  •  SweMike wrote:

I have sent my logs to Christine according to her instructions, but haven't heard anything since.

Mike - still without a backup...

give them time =) It can take a while to track down a generic error. Especially if it's different third party software that folks have installed on their computer that is causing the problem =).

- Leigh

Video Game Programming student & Journalist

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:28 AM
  •  jdjmilford wrote:

PS I figured out how to open the directory and it was empty.

you might need to make sure that hidden files are viewable? I forget how to do this, sorry. =(

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:38 AM
  •  Christine [MSFT] wrote:

Hi Gabe1 & Rob,

As mentioned in a previous post, the error 0x8000FFFF for represents a "generic" failure that the backup program has no specific knowledge about. This could be a problem with backup, or a problem with other components in the OS that backup works with. Therefore the different cases of 0x8000FFFF mentioned here may or may not be caused by the same problem.

If you could send me (remove "online" from my email address) the etl files under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup, I'll be happy to work with the development team to figure out what the cause for your specific failure might be.

Regards,

Christine

Dear Christine,

I am also getting the same error message: Vista64-SP1, after a long backup process (perhaps 30 minutes) the dreaded error message comes up saying a "catastrophic error" has occurred along with the error code.

Even if the error is "generic" as you say, Vista should say *something* about what is going on, what is it that allowed vista to detect the error, was it a file read, an access denied message, a disk failure, or what? What software module came back with the error. It is surprising that even Vista has not yet gotten to the point where it can in all cases give reasonable error messages.

As to why my particular error is occurring, I don' t know, the above solutions that people have mentioned have not yet worked for me. Is there no patch or something that can diagnose what the problem might be?

thank you.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:13 AM
  • elib 

Follow these instructions that elib posted, reboot your pc, put in a cd-r (recordable) disk, and then choose to back up your files to the disk. It worked for me and now my windows onelive care is back to green instead of yellow.

Make sure that the "Volume Shadow Copy" service is enabled and running:

Scroll down to find "Volume Shadow Copy".  It should have a status of Started and a startup type of Automatic.  If not, you need to enable it:

Right click on the service "Volume Shadow Copy" and click Properties.  Change statup type to Started and then click Apply.  After clicking Apply, click Start.  Now click OK and try backing up again.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:31 PM
  • This is a litte off topic as this thread has moved along, but I just wanted to step back a few posts and balance the enthusiasm some have for Acronis.

I have used Acronis True Image 11 and 2009 plus Disk Director 10  extensively. These products worked very well under XP and 2000 and do have quite anumber of good features. But there are snags one should be aware of, though they may not all be deal breakers.

The image backups are not entirely reliable. I find maybe 1 in 4 or 5 is damaged and unrestorable. If one backups a lot, that may not be a problem. On the other hand a full XP backup took maybe 10 minutes while a Vista backup takes more like 40.

Another consideration is that the program encourages making a "special secure zone" on the main drive for backups. This zone is actually FAT32 format with no drive letter assigned. In addition, use of FAT32 partitions is appropriately discouraged by Microsoft because just one FAT partition puts a potential crack in the entire security of NTFS.

True Image backups to an external NTFS drive are most reliable, but slow and use powerful kernel drivers which can be a theorectical risk. You can uninstall Acronis from Windows and boot from the Acronis CD (it uses Linux, BusyBox to be precise, with Fox toolkit licensed to make a GUI. That is plain to see when it crashes or an error message pops up - I am not revealing anything secret) You can also make a USB which I think is possibly FreeDOS based, looking at its structure. 

Disk Director used to be very handy with XP, but frequently fails to correctly read and manage NTFS under Vista. Interestingly, it appears to have problems with Linux Ext2 and 3 as well. I tend to wonder if it is need of a major update to work with the latest features of NTFS (and other file systems it is supposed to support.

I'm intending to follow the Microsoft suggestions regarding creating a Windows PE CD with some third party recovery utilities. There is quite a bit of MS documention on this, although it not all formally supported.

If one is in a jam I have noticed the most recent Linux Live CDs - particularly Ubuntu 8.10, seem to have better NTFS support in some ways than Acronis. In particular, Ubuntu 8.10 Live has a feature to copy itself to a bootable USB stick. This would allow recovery and backup to a DVD-R or the like.

I think NTFS and Vista have made some impressive advances and the third party utilities still have to catch up. I would personally wait to see if Acronis makes some major updates before considering it. Much of the Acronis suites is basically older Linux command line utilities, recompiled for Windows, sweetened with a Windows like GUI.

As mentioned, newer Linux distros may actually work better than Acronis. But that said, I think surely the best way to go has to be with custom software built for Windows by an MS partner.

I do a lot of cross platform work and I haven't yet found the perfect tools for Vista and Novell SUSE. Hopefully something will come along soon!
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Christine I need your email address please send it to my email address I am not sure where to find yours.
    Monday, March 02, 2009 6:26 PM
  • This fix worked to solve my issue which was failed backup in vista with the error code 0x80070002.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Make sure that the "Volume Shadow Copy" service is enabled and running:

this technique fixed my backup issue which was reporting error code 0x80070002
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Hi everyone,

There's a separate forum specific for Windows and Windows Server backup related discussions. Please direct any further questions to that forum so we can better assist you with your issues.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsbackup/threads/

Thanks!

Christine
    Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by ZaneM Sunday, December 06, 2009 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:45 PM
  • I found a fix :)
    Go to Computer from the start menu. Right click the hard drive in use. Click Properties. Go to Tools and click Check Disc and a little window should pop up and then click start, It'll tell you can't check a disc in progress. Then it'll ask you if you'd like to schedule one. Click the option that will. After that restart your computer and if should perform the disk check. It will repair whatever is wrong. Done.
    • Proposed as answer by ZaneM Sunday, December 06, 2009 6:25 PM
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Hmmm, super but unusable. What to do, if after all chdsk´s Windows Vista still started into black scree with cursor ?  Recovery from all recovery points end with

"Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF"  

How to save data from disk, that is inacessible ???  :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Thank you so much! Fixed our issue :)
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:12 AM
  • I tried many previous suggestions re: volume shadow copy, etc and nothing worked.  Then I ran the Check Disc utility.  (I haven't used this before on this computer.)  IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!  Was able to update my backup without any more problems.  Wonder if it straightened out some other problems?  Anyway, thank you very much!
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:10 AM
  • I am so frustrated! I am in the same boat as everyone. I have tried this changing the volume shadow copy thing, and actually, I have tried many things- and nothing is letting me backup my files. Im worried about loosing everything! HELP!
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Mike, remember this one thing....... VISTA IS THE WORST OPERATING SYSTEM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats why I use 8
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:02 PM