none
Question about install on 32gb partition RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of downloading windows 7 beta. I have about 235 gb hd with Vista taking about 115, Ubuntu Lniux about 85gb and about 35 of unallocated space. Will the Windows 7 beta install give me the option of installing on this unallocated space? Will that be enough space? If so, is this considered a clean install, where I can just delete the partition while in Vista and then just extend the vista partition when I am done with Win 7 beta? If not I already have hp recovery discs.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:57 PM

Answers

•  

Since you have Vista and Ubuntu, I take it you have a dual boot system.  Yes, you can easily install Win7 on the 35GB unallocated partition, but you will lose your multi-boot capability once you do so.  Download and use EasyBCD to enable a triple boot configuration after you install Win7.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:29 AM

All replies

• Hello Bigcitycat, you certainly can set up another partition and install the Windows 7 Beta and you can remove the Beta and then shrink or remove the partition when you are done with the Beta. I would like to suggest a great guide on how to uninstall your Windows 7 and delete the drive partition. Click this link and Follow the instructions and you should be able to resolve your issue: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2668-partition-volume-delete.html .  In addition to that guide, there are a couple of other user guides focused on partitioning, installing, and removing various OS’s. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Rick, Windows Outreach Team
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Bigcitycat said:

I am in the process of downloading windows 7 beta. I have about 235 gb hd with Vista taking about 115, Ubuntu Lniux about 85gb and about 35 of unallocated space. Will the Windows 7 beta install give me the option of installing on this unallocated space? Will that be enough space? If so, is this considered a clean install, where I can just delete the partition while in Vista and then just extend the vista partition when I am done with Win 7 beta? If not I already have hp recovery discs.

Thanks

Hi

Windows 7 setup will allow you to create partition as you want and this will be clean install, but according to your current system configuration, it is possible windows 7 to overwrite your linux boot manager.
    Also I think you need primary partition to install windows 7 on.
    If your drive is connected to raid ot ahci controller you may need additional drivers, that you will need to supply to windows7 setup in order to recognize hdd with partition you want to install it on

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:40 PM
  •  

Since you have Vista and Ubuntu, I take it you have a dual boot system.  Yes, you can easily install Win7 on the 35GB unallocated partition, but you will lose your multi-boot capability once you do so.  Download and use EasyBCD to enable a triple boot configuration after you install Win7.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Thank you all. I have easy bcd but I know trying to set up a boot loader for ubuntu has not worked for me in the past with easy bcd, but I think after I am done installing 7 that I can insert my ubuntu set up cd and initiate the grub boot loader that way. 
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Bigcitycat said:

Thank you all. I have easy bcd but I know trying to set up a boot loader for ubuntu has not worked for me in the past with easy bcd, but I think after I am done installing 7 that I can insert my ubuntu set up cd and initiate the grub boot loader that way. 

You will save a lot of problems if you install grub on linux partition as you probably are not did :) Then and easybcd will works for you I suppose :)

If win 7 and linux are on different physical drives, grub will not be overwritten

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:16 AM
  • I was on the Ubuntu forum and I know how to reinstall grub via ubuntu installation cd but we think I may have to edit grub in order to add windows 7 into grub. So my question is..... Does Windows 7 use Vista longhorn boot loader when you do this type of install or does it have it's own boot loader?

My ubuntu grub bootloader does have it's own partition on the disc. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:19 AM
  • This is the answer to my question from ubuntu forum. They say I will have to use the ubuntu installation disk to mount the ubuntu install and edit grub by adding this to the end of Grub.

at the end (after end automagic list blahblah):

Code:
    title Windows 7 Beta 1
    root (hd0,x)
    chainloader +1
    where x is the partition windows 7 is on (counting from 0) so if it's on the 1st partition on your disk, x would be 0.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Bigcitycat said:

This is the answer to my question from ubuntu forum. They say I will have to use the ubuntu installation disk to mount the ubuntu install and edit grub by adding this to the end of Grub.

at the end (after end automagic list blahblah):

Code:
    title Windows 7 Beta 1
    root (hd0,x)
    chainloader +1
    where x is the partition windows 7 is on (counting from 0) so if it's on the 1st partition on your disk, x would be 0.

Ok but this is if windows 7 does not overwrite grub and you want to add new menu entry, if grub is overwritten, then you will need to reinstall grub stage 1.

I think if you have problems easiest way is to use easybsd and if it cannot help, then to type grub commands :)

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:57 PM