none
my passport essential no installation on windows 7

Question

• Hi i habe a big problem

i habe a western digital my passport essential on windows 7, it is not working when i tried to plug it in it is recognized as a
    ZOHOTUV SCSI CD Rom Device i don`t know why, i uninstalled the driver and tried to install the driver of western digital.....no chance... i updated firmware of western digital and did all updates on windows seven no chance nothing is working it is always recogniced as the zohotuv SCSI CD Rom and i can`t change it to a external device

what shall i do ...how can i fix the problem

please help me.... on windows xp i have no problems with the device
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:47 PM

Answers

• You didn't say specifically which model of that you have, so I went with the what you referred it to. You did follow the instructions exactly as they had it here?

Update Instructions

Step 1: Update the Firmware 

Firmware Update: Release 1.032 (11/16/09)

IMPORTANT: The following precautions must be performed before installing the firmware update:

• All antivirus and anti-spyware software MUST be disabled.
    • ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled.
    Failure to perform these precautions may cause data corruption/loss and/or drive failure.

1. Disconnect all other external drives from the computer except for the My Book or My Passport drive you want to update.
    2. Ensure that the My Book or My Passport drive is connected to a USB port on your computer.
    3. Download the Firmware Updater for Windows.
    4. Unzip the file and double click to open the Firmware Updater.
    5. Click Continue to update the firmware.
    6. Verify the attached drive's serial number located on the back of the drive.
    7. Click Update Firmware.
    8. Click Accept the End User's License Agreement (EULA). The updater will scan the drive which may take a few minutes.
    9. Once the updater is finished, click Exit.
    10. Turn off the drive - For My Passport, disconnect the USB cable. For My Book disconnect both USB and power cables.
    11. Wait 10 seconds. Reconnect the USB/power cables.

Step 2: Update the software 

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
    1. Download the Windows WD SmartWare Software Updater to your hard drive.
    2. Locate and launch the WD SmartWare Software Updater.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.

Software located here http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartware 

They were very specific to updating the firmware first, then install the software. the SCSI CDrom may have been the virtual cdrom they were referring on that page. Let us know how it goes.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:24 PM
  • hey dossant

it solved the problem myself....
    the clue is don`t use another usb cable for elongation as i did, you have to connect the passport with the original cable to the pc and everything works fine....

in order you use an older model as i update first the firmware before you connect

hope this may help you

Thomas
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:51 PM

All replies

• You didn't say specifically which model of that you have, so I went with the what you referred it to. You did follow the instructions exactly as they had it here?

Update Instructions

Step 1: Update the Firmware 

Firmware Update: Release 1.032 (11/16/09)

IMPORTANT: The following precautions must be performed before installing the firmware update:

• All antivirus and anti-spyware software MUST be disabled.
    • ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled.
    Failure to perform these precautions may cause data corruption/loss and/or drive failure.

1. Disconnect all other external drives from the computer except for the My Book or My Passport drive you want to update.
    2. Ensure that the My Book or My Passport drive is connected to a USB port on your computer.
    3. Download the Firmware Updater for Windows.
    4. Unzip the file and double click to open the Firmware Updater.
    5. Click Continue to update the firmware.
    6. Verify the attached drive's serial number located on the back of the drive.
    7. Click Update Firmware.
    8. Click Accept the End User's License Agreement (EULA). The updater will scan the drive which may take a few minutes.
    9. Once the updater is finished, click Exit.
    10. Turn off the drive - For My Passport, disconnect the USB cable. For My Book disconnect both USB and power cables.
    11. Wait 10 seconds. Reconnect the USB/power cables.

Step 2: Update the software 

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
    1. Download the Windows WD SmartWare Software Updater to your hard drive.
    2. Locate and launch the WD SmartWare Software Updater.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.

Software located here http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartware 

They were very specific to updating the firmware first, then install the software. the SCSI CDrom may have been the virtual cdrom they were referring on that page. Let us know how it goes.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:24 PM

• i made everything exactly as they said i had to install it on windows xp first there it is working perfectly but with 7 no chance, i disabled vcd with firmware with smartware and everytime the same recogniczed as cd rom

p.s.

it is a passport elite essential 1 TB

thank for trying to help me

Tginas
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem with my passport essential 320 Go. 

It works fine on Windows XP but on Windows seven, I have a failed message when I connect it.

Any Ideas

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:55 PM
  • hey dossant

it solved the problem myself....
    the clue is don`t use another usb cable for elongation as i did, you have to connect the passport with the original cable to the pc and everything works fine....

in order you use an older model as i update first the firmware before you connect

hope this may help you

Thomas
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:51 PM