none
System Image Recovery from Windows 7 disk fails with volume shadow copy error

Question

• Recently, I tried to install Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration and it destroyed the partition table of my drive that also contains Windows 7.  I know this because I used recovery software to see the NTFS partition still contains all of my data.  However, now I cannot boot at all.  I tried the startup repair and the Windows installation is not listed, which I guess is expected since it looks like an uninitialized disk.

Since I have a backup image on a network drive, I proceeded with System Image Recovery from the Windows 7 disk.  I went to advanced options and logged onto my server and selected the appropriate drive with no problems.  Immediately after starting the recovery, it fails telling me that the Volume Shadow Copy component has encountered an error with code 0x80042302.  I have tried another disk to make sure it wasn't a bad burn.

I cannot get this to work and am wondering if anyone has tried the image recovery from a network drive yet.  Is there a bug in build 7000?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:58 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi,

I did a search in our bug database and confirmed it is a known bug. It should be fixed in future version.

Thanks.

Friday, March 27, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Can you tell me which component is affected by the bug?  Basically, does the bug create bad backups and/or system images, or is it something with the restore process, or both?  It would be nice to know since now I have yet another issue, which is more serious.

Since I could not re-image my drive, I reinstalled Windows 7 and tried to restore files from the network backup and got many error messages like this on a number of the files:

"The backup file is corrupted or missing.  Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup.  (0x81000011)"

I have gotten this error when trying to restore files from backups created on two different machines.  This would imply that this is related to a bug, but not necessarily the one preventing re-imaging.

I was able to recover some of the files using an archive repair utility I found on the web.  However, I am not sure how to restore files that are spanned across multiple archives within the backup folders.  Is there any documentation on how the files are split?  I didn't lose anything too serious but it would be nice to be able to recover more of the files.

• Proposed as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:50 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, I cannot offer more information about this bug. Regarding the data recovery, you can try to mount backup .VHD file in Disk Manager and coping files from the mounted disk.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any news about this bug?.

(also trying to restore a backup form an other Windows 7 installation, the bigger files won't restore. error 0x81000011).

Big files like ISO's and VMDK's seem to be the problem.

I am Running Windows 7 RC now, backup was made on Windows 7 beta 2

Greetings,
    Rob
    • Edited by Rob Aarts Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:53 AM
    Monday, May 04, 2009 1:51 PM
  • I don't know of any news other than restoring your computer from a Windows 7 beta 2 image could be a problem.  I doubt the problem exists in RC as I have not be able to find anyone with backup problems in the newer builds.  I am not sure exactly how to do this, but you might want to try mounting the VHD in the backup using the Disk Management utility and then copying the file over.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:52 PM
  • I have defnitely been unable to do BACKUP OR IMAGE COPY, runnins windows 7 RC.  Going to external Seagate usb 500 gb.  Not only fails, but also blocks out the external drive and I have to reboot in order to recoup drive.  Also had backup failures to flash drives with same result.  I have since been able to make SYNCTOY function for external backup.  Normally, badckup or image seems to be failing when it finds a large file to backup. 
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:14 PM
  • As a follow-up to this issue, I wanted to make it clear that my original problems with backup have more to do with a failing piece of hardware on the machine with the network backup share.  More than just backups were becoming corrupted.  I ran system file checker and found 20 or so corrupted system files.  Once I removed the offending hardware and reinstalled the OS, my problems went away.

It's hard to say whether backup bugs in any previous builds were the cause of my issues.  However, in the RC build, I have had no issues with backups to a network location.  I have tested the archives using WinRAR and they are problem-free.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I just experienced something similar testing Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop. The backup fails with
    "A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" logs for more information (0x807800A1)

Additional Information:
    The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup procss is retried, the error is likely to reoccur (0x900423F4)."

This occurred trying to backup to two different drives.

I've saved the VSS log (I bing'ed for the how-to)--can't find a clue as to the other one. 
    Is this also a backup bug?
    It's not the drives; I've backed up to both of them using Acronis.

Incidentally, backup ran without incident backing up to one of the same drives from my old laptop running Windows 7 32-bit.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:41 AM
  • i have exactly the same problem, using Seagate Go USB 500 MB and in addtion, no way to backup the .pst outlook file without failure, suppose due to size.  Seagate site has nothing on windows 7 and I suspect more of a problem with WIndows 7 than with Seagate.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 7:20 PM
  • I had error 0x80042302 when trying run VMware Converter (both 3 & 4) as well as Microsoft disk2vhd (1.2) . It seems, gleamed from some forums that it may be related to the size of the source disk being greater than 127GB, even if the data is much less than that (Windows 7 is runing on a Raid 1 with 2x 1.5TB drives). I am using offically released and licensed Windows 7 .

An inofficial ETA for a fix would be nice
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 4:20 AM
  • If Windows Backup has to image the whole disk this may indeed be the case. My Windows 7 RC partition was only 100GB, but the disk it was on was 500GB.
    It would be nice if Windows Backup had the option to image only the system partition.

Friday, November 20, 2009 3:36 PM
  • I had the same problem in WIndows 7 Professioonal 64 bit "A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" logs for more information" when trying to make a system image. And also recieved this message the first time "The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup procss is retried, the error is likely to reoccur (0x900423F4)." I am trying to back up to a freecom tough drive (120GB external 2.5")

So I tried two reformats of my drive - no joy - then I went to disk manager and deleted the entire drive/partition and made a new one. I enabled compression on the drive (little tick box) and now creating the system image works fine.....so far (1/3 status bar)!

Windows 7 64 Bit Pro
    E6750 @3.2 GHz
    4GB RAM
    Umptien HDD's
    Asus DK 4870 & NVIDIA 8600GT

PS at time of edit status bar is 3/8ths
    • Proposed as answer by bermylizaard Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:02 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:01 AM
  • If Windows Backup has to image the whole disk this may indeed be the case. My Windows 7 RC partition was only 100GB, but the disk it was on was 500GB.
    It would be nice if Windows Backup had the option to image only the system partition.

It is a system partition (120GB of 500GB) in my case - I'll give updates once I purposely recover from the image.

For me this is an attempt to convert to raid 0 without the pain of reinstalling all my programs - simply set up the raid and then run a system restore.

On a completely different note I threw my old Nvidia card (8600gt) back in the case alongside my ATI Asus DK4870 - reinstalled both drivers and now have three monitor display - two of the Ati and one of the nvidia - SWEET!!!
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:14 AM
  • This is just another forum with the same topic. No solution! Maybe investing 1 billion of those 50 billions back in Windows research would solve the problem!!!
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:11 AM
  • It is interesting how nobody can't even say anything about this problem. I also addressed Microsoft directly with this issue but there is nothing coming back. I just wish I could (which I am not allowed to with my two Acer slimline computers) switch back to Windows XP and I would happily abandon this another Microsoft great achivement called Windows 7. You can't even set your Windows Live Mail to open into your Inbox. It opens in the folder where you've left your e-mail, "deleted" or "sent", etc. Any other e-mail has that settings available. The XP had it. Yes, I haven't saved the initial Windows 7 when I bought the computer. That was my mistake, but that should be possible later. I even don't know whether it was possible then.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:22 AM
  • I got the same error message but didn't find any solutions on any online forums.

"A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" logs for more information" when trying to make a system image. And also recieved this message the first time "The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup procss is retried, the error is likely to reoccur (0x900423F4)"

I tried the following and it worked.

- Start command line as admin

- DISKPART

- SELECT DRIVE X (The drive you want to backup)

- SELECT PARTITION Y (The partition you want to backup)

- ACTIVE

- EXIT

Hope it helps

• Proposed as answer by daviangel Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:57 AM
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:20 AM
  • This fixed the error for me on my mac mini.

Since I'm using a 3rd party bootloader and multiple partitions I guess the primary Windows one never got marked active but you'd think Windows backup would get a better error message. I guess I got lucky I stumbled into this post when I googled the resulting error message since I rarely get cryptic error messages like that fixed on the first try :)

If you prefer not to use the command line you can do the following instead and works the same:

Warning

• Don't mark a partition as active if it doesn't contain the loader for an operating system. Doing so will cause your computer to stop working.

1. Click to open Computer Management.Administrator permission required  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. On the left, under Storage , click Disk Management .

3. Right-click the primary partition that you want to make active, click Mark Partition as Active , and then click Yes .

Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:58 AM