none
DNS configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have a problem with dns configuration in windows 10. I'm not able to put the configuration of the network interface (ethernet) in "automatically obtain dns" it seems something block it on a preset configuration. So I change in auto, restart the pc and the configuration back to the preset 212.xxx.xxx.xxx. I really don't know how to unblock it. 

I already try:

1) remove the network interface and restart the pc

2) set a different dns and restart the pc (using the flag apply before exit)

Do you have some suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Please try to configure DNS server from Command Line to do a test.

You can find the names of all network interfaces by running the following command:

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

For how to configure primary DNS server, please run the following command:

netsh interface ip set dns name="NIC1" static XXX.XXX.XXX.X

"NIC1" is the name of the adapter you want to modify.

XXX.XXX.XXX.X is the the DNS server IP address you want to set.

Like the following picture, check if you could modify the DNS.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

• Marked as answer by ArmandoIan75 Monday, December 16, 2019 9:38 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi ,

>>I noticed that it works until reboot, after that the DNS back to original conf. 

Did you join this computer to the domain? If you join the computer to the domain, did you configure any group policies apply to the clients?

How about other computers? Did all the domain clients occur the same problem?

I want to know more details in order to narrow down the issue.

In addition ,I would still suggest you disable any third-party softwares to do a test.  

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

• Marked as answer by ArmandoIan75 Friday, December 20, 2019 9:47 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2019 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Since you're using Windows 10 client operating system, I suggest that you reach out to the experts in the dedicated Windows 10 forum.

Windows 10 IT Pro > Windows 10 Networking

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:36 PM
  • Thanks for suggestion, It's the first time a post a question on this portal ;-) I pressed "change type" I hope it's enough
    Monday, December 9, 2019 4:25 PM
  • Hi ,

>>I'm not able to put the configuration of the network interface (ethernet) in "automatically obtain dns" it seems something block it on a preset configuration.

I am a bit confused about what your mean. Could you please clarify more details ? Did you mean that you cannot manually specify a DNS server address in the option of use the following DNS server addresses? Please feel free to let me know, if my understanding is wrong.

If possible, I would suggest you post a screenshot to help us understand your issue better.

If you cannot upload the picture, your account just needs to be verified. You can expedite verification by replying to this thread with your request.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc4002e4-e3de-4b1e-9a97-3702387886cc/verify-account-42?forum=reportabug

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:16 AM
  • Hi ,

Based on my understanding, you cannot manually modify the DNS server, after restart the PC then the configuration always back to the previous DNS IP. Is that right?

Please feel free to let me know, if my understanding is wrong.

Did you have any third-party applications on your PC? Like anti-virus? Please disable these third-party software to do a test. Sometimes, anti-virus will block DNS changes.

Note: since this is a public forum, everyone could view your information, please remove private information that might leak your privacy.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:51 AM
  • Hi Candy,

you understand exactly which is my problem. The dns settings back to the original conf in real time, simply I close and reopen the configuration and I see again the previous settings. It seems the ok button does not affect changes.

As Antivirus I use windows defender and I have no other software who could affect dns.

Really strange problem 

Thursday, December 12, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Hi ,

Please try to configure DNS server from Command Line to do a test.

You can find the names of all network interfaces by running the following command:

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

For how to configure primary DNS server, please run the following command:

netsh interface ip set dns name="NIC1" static XXX.XXX.XXX.X

"NIC1" is the name of the adapter you want to modify.

XXX.XXX.XXX.X is the the DNS server IP address you want to set.

Like the following picture, check if you could modify the DNS.

Best Regards,

Candy

• Marked as answer by ArmandoIan75 Monday, December 16, 2019 9:38 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                  

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, December 16, 2019 2:00 AM
  • Hi Candy,

thanks a lot for your help. changing the DNS from command line in "administration mode" it works! 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ip set dns name="Ethernet" static 192.168.0.1

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I noticed that it works until reboot, after that the DNS back to original conf. How can I set this permanently?

Thanks in advance

Armando

Monday, December 16, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi ,

>>I noticed that it works until reboot, after that the DNS back to original conf. 

Did you join this computer to the domain? If you join the computer to the domain, did you configure any group policies apply to the clients?

How about other computers? Did all the domain clients occur the same problem?

I want to know more details in order to narrow down the issue.

In addition ,I would still suggest you disable any third-party softwares to do a test.  

Best Regards,

Candy

• Marked as answer by ArmandoIan75 Friday, December 20, 2019 9:47 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2019 10:00 AM
  • Hi Candy,

this is an home computer, without a domain and it's the only windows computer in the LAN. 

In this computer is installed a linux machine trough VirtualBOX, so I have a Virtual box virtual network adapter, I don't think this can affect dns. I have no other software that could change DNS. Of course it's my opinion, could you suggest to me a way to verify that DNS is not modified by some software? 

Thanks in advance

Armando

Monday, December 16, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Hi Candy,

looking every software installed o the pc I found a software able to change DNS "DNS Jumper" I think this is the problem. As you told me, I need to do some test removing/disabling this software. The strange think is the software is not installed and stay in the Download folder. I'll keep you informed after tests.

Thanks a lot for your help in troubleshooting 

Monday, December 16, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi Armando,

You are welcome. 

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 1:18 AM