none
Can't open PDF files in IE 8

Question

• I recently installed some updates via Windows Update and now I cannot view PDF files in my browser window.  I get a prompt asking if I want to find a program to open the file or if I want to save it.  If I save the file I can then open it just fine using Adobe Reader 9.3 and if I click the "Find" button I'm taken to a web page giving me details on the PDF extension.  Some files don't even let me do that much.  I just get an error saying that Internet Explorer can't download the file.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks.

Click Start, click Run..., type "cmd" and hit enter, type "work /now"
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:44 PM

All replies

• 1. Check the settings in Adobe reader Edit/preferences/internet

2. Are your pdf files associated with Adobe reader (i.e. do they open in Adobe reader when you double click on the file? If not right click any pdf file, click 'open with', click choose program, select Adobe Reader and check the box at the bottom of the window ' always use...', click OK

<jkloth1> wrote in message news:11b13947-0e92-4d32-9848-426aca6d1f84@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I recently installed some updates via Windows Update and now I cannot view PDF files in my browser window. I get a prompt asking if I want to find a program to open the file or if I want to save it. If I save the file I can then open it just fine using Adobe Reader 9.3 and if I click the "Find" button I'm taken to a web page giving me details on the PDF extension. Some files don't even let me do that much. I just get an error saying that Internet Explorer can't download the file.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I checked all those things.  The checkbox for "Open PDF files in browser" was checked, and my PDF files were associated with Adobe Reader.  I ended up reinstalling Reader, which solved most of the problem.  I can view plain PDF files in the browser now, but there are a lot of PDF documents generated by PHP used where I work and some of these work, some don't.  The ones that don't work simply display a blank screen.  Although I was able to view one of them one time after reinstalling Reader.  The first time I went to the page I got a "Diagnose connection problem" screen, I clicked the troubleshoot button and then the PDF showed up so I closed the troubleshooter, thinking it was only a momentary glitch.  Only now it opens a blank screen every time, no "Diagnose connection problem" page.

EDIT: Oh, and I know it's not a problem in the PHP code because it works perfectly with FF, Chrome, Opera, and Safari.

Any other advice?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Sorry, I have no experience with pdf files created with PHP. Does that use features that require some particular Adobe Reader plugin? (you can see which plugins you have loaded in help/about Adobe plugins). Perhaps those who generated those pdf files that are causing difficulties could advise.

The current version of Adobe reader is 9.4. If you are using 9.3 you could try that.

<jkloth1> wrote in message news:567d39db-70a5-4a77-bf86-9e23c4ec6309@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I checked all those things. The checkbox for "Open PDF files in browser" was checked, and my PDF files were associated with Adobe Reader. I ended up reinstalling Reader, which solved most of the problem. I can view plain PDF files in the browser now, but there are a lot of PDF documents generated by PHP used where I work and some of these work, some don't. The ones that don't work simply display a blank screen. Although I was able to view one of them/one time/ after reinstalling Reader. The first time I went to the page I got a "Diagnose connection problem" screen, I clicked the troubleshoot button and then the PDF showed up so I closed the troubleshooter, thinking it was only a momentary glitch. Only now it opens a blank screen every time, no "Diagnose connection problem" page.

EDIT: Oh, and I know it's not a problem in the PHP code because it works perfectly with FF, Chrome, Opera, and Safari.

Any other advice?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:29 PM
  • You could also try some alternative to Adobe Reader. Although I have never tried it, many people recommend foxit pdf reader

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

<jkloth1> wrote in message news:567d39db-70a5-4a77-bf86-9e23c4ec6309@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I checked all those things. The checkbox for "Open PDF files in browser" was checked, and my PDF files were associated with Adobe Reader. I ended up reinstalling Reader, which solved most of the problem. I can view plain PDF files in the browser now, but there are a lot of PDF documents generated by PHP used where I work and some of these work, some don't. The ones that don't work simply display a blank screen. Although I was able to view one of them/one time/ after reinstalling Reader. The first time I went to the page I got a "Diagnose connection problem" screen, I clicked the troubleshoot button and then the PDF showed up so I closed the troubleshooter, thinking it was only a momentary glitch. Only now it opens a blank screen every time, no "Diagnose connection problem" page.

Any other advice?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:32 PM
  • I am the one who generated the PDF. :P

There are no special plugins required for these PDF files to display.  The exact same coding techniques are used for all PDF files generated with PHP and some of them display while others do not.  Anyway, I suspected a plugin problem (IE plugins that is) before I reinstalled Reader since my plugin list does not match my supervisors (not exactly anyhow).  From Tools->Manage Add-ons I see a list of all the plugins that IE is using.  If I change the drop down list to show all add-ons I only see the Adobe PDF Link Helper (which also shows up under currently loaded plugins) but if I go change the drop down to "Run without permission" I see the Adobe PDF Reader add-on listed.  My supervisor has both of these listed under all add-ons and he does not have issues displaying PDF's.  After reinstalling Reader, my plugin list looks exactly the same.  Is this a possible issue, you think?

I'm running Reader 9.4 but my supervisor is running 9.1 so I don't think the version matters much.

Thanks for your help so far, BTW.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I just learned something interesting.  My guess is that one of the updates I installed broke JavaScript.  Here's why:

The way I am currently linking to the PDF document in question is through the window.open(...) function.  The other reports (the ones that do work) are submitted via standard links and form submissions.  I created a test, in which I copied the URL and pasted it into an <a> tag, and it works!

I'll get back tomorrow to list the updates I installed, but I gotta run.  Just wanted to share this info.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Well, I did a little digging on the updates I installed and the likely culprit seems to be this one:

KB2360131

Which is a security update for IE 8.  It affects script execution so I'm sure that's the cause.

The other ones I've installed are:

IE 8:

• KB2362765

Windows XP:

• KB981957
    • KB982132
    • KB2158563
    • KB2279986
    • KB2296011
    • KB2345886
    • KB2360937
    • KB2387149
    • KB2378111
    • KB979687
    Any ideas on what I can do?  Should I uninstall KB2360131 and see if it fixes it?
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:25 PM
  • No such luck.  Uninstalling KB 2360131 didn't fix it.  I even went so far as to reinstall IE 8, but that didn't help either.  Perhaps it was one of the XP updates??  Don't know, maybe I'll try it later, or wait to see if new updates come out to fix this problem...

Curses on IE!  IE 9 better be less problematic...too bad I can't use it on XP.  Oh well, guess I'll stick with my old faithful FireFox.

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:47 PM