none
After upgrading to 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate from 32bit Windows Ultimate i can't get Virtual PC XP Mode working

Question

• I have upgraded from 32bit Windows Ultimate to 64bit windows ultimate, previously i had Virtual PC and XP Mode working without problems

Under start menu i have Windows Virtual PC and the Windows XP Mode as i did under 32bit

When i try and open a virtual machine vpc.exe (Virtual PC Host Process) is spawned under my username but i don't get the virtual pc window, guesing that vmwindow should also start up.

I'm running true colour 32bit, no firewall.

Motherboard Model: Giga-Byte GA-M57SLI-S4 (Latest bios installed with Virtualisation Support)
    I have run AMD-V Tech and Micorosoft Hyper V System Compatiblity Check and System is compatible

I have tried creating a new vmcx file which creates fine but again i don't get the virtual pc window
    I have run logman traces against vpc and vmwindow but don't know how to read the output now

Any help would be appreciated

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:42 AM

Answers

• Hello Mazza,

According to the problem description, please be assured that you've downloaded and installed 64bit application of Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC. For more details, please refer to the following webpage.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC

Good Luck!

Andy

• Proposed as answer by Nicholas Steel Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, October 12, 2009 3:05 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hello Mazza,

According to the problem description, please be assured that you've downloaded and installed 64bit application of Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC. For more details, please refer to the following webpage.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC

Good Luck!

Andy

• Proposed as answer by Nicholas Steel Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, October 12, 2009 3:05 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Hi Andy

XP Mode and VPC are both 64bit i went down that avenue yesterday the 32bit version actually give you a prompt that you can't get past if you try to install the 32bit XP Mode and VPC on 64

The only thing i can think of that might be throwing things is that i used easy transfer to copy my profile settings and documents from 32bit. It might be a red herring as all of that installed fine with no problems.

I tried creating a new user and re-ran creating a new virtual machine when i started it CPU and the vpc process continue to run at 50%
    I have no errors raised in the eventlog and still no vm window

I'm working around it at the moment as i have ported the vhd onto a win 2008 rig hosting hyper V :) and rdp'ed into that whilst i work out why it doesn't work under win 7

Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:01 PM