none
Windows 7 Extended Security Updates and WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• With extended support ending January 14th, 2020 for Windows 7 and MS's Extended Security Updates thru January 2023 - does anyone know how that will work if we are using a WSUS server for distributing updates? Does anyone know if we would just have to pay for the WSUS server(s) for extended security updates or how will that work? I can't seem to find any information on that. 
    Friday, November 16, 2018 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Just so I am clear on it, you want to know how to deploy windows update with WSUS, right?

If yes, we could refer to Deploy Windows Server Update Services to configure and deploy update on Windows server device. 

However, if you concern about the support ending for Windows 7, we could consider to upgrade system to a upper Windows operating system through SCCM. For more information, please refer to: Perform an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 using Configuration Manager

If I misunderstood your issue, please tell me directly.

Bests,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 19, 2018 6:06 AM
  • Hello Jody,

You had misunderstood - we already currently have a WSUS server in production. My concern or inquiry is since we have a WSUS server in production, how will Microsoft's Windows 7 Extended Security Updates come into play with the WSUS server? Assuming we were to purchase the offered extended security updates, would we only have to buy the extension for the WSUS server?

Note: We're considering upgrading all of our workstations to Windows 10 by the end of 2020 but in case we are in need of keeping some of our current Windows 7 devices we want to know if our WSUS server can still provide the updates to those machines if we have the extended security updates.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:39 PM
  • Hi Kevin, 

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

According to my know, we just need to pay for Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) to get the extended support. There is no need to pay for WSUS server when we use it at the extended period. And also as my research, Microsoft just announced that it will offer paid Windows 7 ESU through January 2023, but not any public information about paid WSUS service. 

So as my understanding, after we brought Windows 7 ESU from volume license center, we could use WSUS server to deploy update package as normal. 

For more information about Windows 7 ESU, please see: "Windows 7 Extended Security Updates" part of  Helping customers shift to a modern desktop

Bests, 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 10:04 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result.

If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

If you have any other issue, please reply to us directly.

Best regards,
    Joy

Monday, November 26, 2018 2:00 AM
  • Hello Joy,

it's been a busy week with the holiday last week so hadn't thought to check back on this. I think your response is helpful, considering I believe we do use a volume license so it would make sense that if you purchase the ESU for that volume license any devices using that license will have access to the updates - which in our case if our WSUS server is using one of our volume license keys we would be covered.

Only additional question I would have, which may not be known at this time, is if we'd have to alter our download updates source on WSUS or would we be able to leave it at the default option of getting updates from 'Microsoft Update'?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 4:51 PM
  • Hi Kevin, 

Thank you for your reply. 

For your additional question, I think there is no need to change the download update source on WSUS if you have configured it. As extended support will not affect WSUS, nor update configuration and deploy method. If you leave it at the default option of getting updates from Microsoft update, I suspect it would be make an impact on your environment, after all not all devices will update at a same time, so they should have different system build and bring troubles to management. 

Bests,

Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:35 AM
  • For further clarification, will Microsoft provide documentation soon on how to implement?

Are the steps:

1) Buy extended support

2) Extended support is associated with your licensing for a certain number of machines?

3) Those machines have to have "something" applied to it? (registry, GPO, etc)

4) WSUS or SCCM or whatever updater will continue to serve updates *only* to those machines, and any other Windows 7 machines will not receive updates after Jan 14 2020.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:35 PM
  • Hi Joy,

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Windows 7 ESU is something like an license, and need to activate on a machine using MAK or KMS first. And then, we don't have to change the configuration of WSUS to get update and patch.

Or before using the ESU, need I install an ESU program on my computer first?

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Hello,

do you have any update? How to implement ES to environment, which is managed via WSUS (SCCM).

Thank you

Thursday, October 3, 2019 11:32 AM
  • Has anybody got to the bottom of this yet? from what I have read SCCM current branch 1906 has to be used to deliver patches to ESU registered clients. I am trying to find out if WSUS can be used natively to do the same job? Upgrading to SCCM CB is not going to be an option.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:44 PM
  • Does this help? 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/127175bb-ddb2-4d97-b36c-fa93448ea793?outputAs=rss

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:01 PM