none
Backup problem

Question

• When I try to backup to another internal hard drive, it always fails, saying it cannot access the drive.  When I check what drives are available for backup, the only drive it registers is the DVD drive.  Windows 7 itself recognizes the drive, I can access programs on it.  Why would the backup not recognize it?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How many internal hard drives you have? It seems that if any operation system was installed on the hard drive, it can not be used as backup driver.

Plug in an external drive as backup location or save on a network location.
    • Proposed as answer by Lord_of_Fire Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lord_of_Fire Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:53 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:08 AM
  • I have 2 hard drives, the one I back up to has XP installed on it.  It worked fine with all the Window 7 betas, and worked for awhile with Ultimate.  When it started to not work, I went on the drive and deleted the backup folders and it worked fine for a short time.  The drive is set for the backup drive, but windows backup does not even recognize the drive, the only thing it recognizes as a backup site is the DVD drive.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:28 PM
  • You mean the Windows XP was parallel installed on another hard drive D: while you have install Windows 7 (different versions each time) on the first drive C:? However, all the other Win7 versions including Windows 7 betas can backup to the D: drive until this windows 7, is it true?

Like I said before, When choosing a Target as backup drive, windows drive will not show up.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:21 AM

• The drive XP is installed on shows up in the backup as the target for the backup, however Windows 7 backup does not recognize the drive at all, altho Windows 7 itself recognizes the drive.  Windows 7 ultimate did when first installed backup to that drive successfully.  Each operating system is installed on its own drive.  From other posts I have read, could Media Center be affecting it?

when I go to the Backup troubling shooting box, it gives the backup location as the disc I am trying to back up to, and the error code 0x81000002.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Do you mean when trying to select the drive, Windows 7 just has no response?

0X81000002 error in the Windows operating system is associated with a certain application. Errors like 0X81000002 could occur because of incorrect records in Windows Registry which is a crucial part of your Windows operating system. If it is not functioning correctly certain file extensions won't be recognized and Windows will report an error.

I suggest backup in Safe mode to provide a stable environment for backup:

How to log on Safe Mode
    ==========================
    1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:27 AM
  • thanks for the suggestion, but backup is not supported in safe mode.  I think I read somewhere at one time that Windows Media Center can cause this kind of problem, and there was a way to change the registry to eliminate the problem.  It seems to me that the problem started occuring after I started using media center.  Have you heard anything about this?

Thanks for all the trouble you are going thru.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Hi rpeter,

Can you give us more details on what you mean when you say that backup does not recognize this drive of yours? Are you using the "Set up backup" option or the "Create a system image" option for setting up backup? Can you see this drive listed as one of the target drives for backup in the backup wizard? Screenshots will help.

Please go through article http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Where-should-I-save-my-backup to know details on why a volume may not be suitable as target.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Sneha:

A friend suggested I remove iTunes from my system.  After I removed Qick Tine Backup worked fine.

Thank yo,   wjherrmann

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Hello.

I know this has been dead for a while but I've had the same problem. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) and get the same error code and symptoms that you're getting. I don't have iTunes or Quick Time installed. I have an SSD for the Operating system and have 4 HDDs with various files on. One of these HDDs I use only for backups.

Windows Backup had been working fine for months as I have an automatic backup set to run every week. But now it fails every time. When I go into the settings It lists all my HDDs (not the SSD with the operating system on) except the one I use for backups. It's as if it's not connected. However, Windows can still access the drive as I can open files from it using Windows Explorer.

Does anybody have any ideas about what's wrong or how to fix it? If you need any more information about my setup then please ask.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:27 AM