ATI Catalyst Driver Problem with SP3 RC2

• Installed XP with SP3 RC2 slipstreamed then downloaded all windows updates.  Installed the ATI 8.3 driver with Catalyst Control Center next.  The display rotation feature now fails to work. The video card is the HD 3870. This configuration works with SP2 installations.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 3:36 AM

• This is a known issue with the ATI driver.

The driver looks for the system configuration and in case it finds a non-SP2 system, the driver misbehaves, breaking the screen rotation feature of the catalyst control system.

ATI has been informed about the same and they would be issuing an updated driver soon.

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:04 AM

All replies

• This is a known issue with the ATI driver.

The driver looks for the system configuration and in case it finds a non-SP2 system, the driver misbehaves, breaking the screen rotation feature of the catalyst control system.

ATI has been informed about the same and they would be issuing an updated driver soon.

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:04 AM

When can we expect to see a compatable ATI control center for SP3?
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:14 PM

Before ATI driver update for XP SP3. You can try Pivot Pro ( to rotate screen.

Friday, May 09, 2008 7:16 PM

Thanks for your response.  I may try it.  Unfortunatley I am on a secure network and all new software and Apps have to be tested and approved first.  By the time that is complete the update may be out.
    Friday, May 09, 2008 7:58 PM
  • There is version 8.4 (4/16/08) available for your graphic card.  Please let me know if this solve the problem?

Just download 8.4 for my card (X1650) and it works.

Friday, May 09, 2008 8:48 PM
  • I had to reformat my pc today and re-install XP, and am currently trying to trick my PC into writing this post (really, it's a hassle to even get here).

The misery started when Microsoft update failed to install dotnet 2.0, which is required for my ATI Catalyst Control Center to work.

I tried to download and install dotnet manually, and that workaround solved the problem.

Next came Live Messenger, which failed to install as well.  Haven't found a solution for that one yet.  I would like to revert to SP2 to get it working, but can't find a way to get the old SP2 updates.  Live Messenger won't install without those updates.

To top it off, every few pages I open in IE 7, I get an error message saying it couldn't complete the process, after which I get a blank page. 

When I try to close IE 7, I get an error telling me the page is busy and asking me to confirm that I really want to close the application.  

I use my pc for private and professional use, and it's completely crippled right now.  I could install Vista, but that would only solve the private part as most of the tools I use professionally won't work with Vista, even in XP compatability mode.

Needless to say I'm less than pleased with this situation. 

Windows XP - Professional Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 (Service Pack 3) (dutch version)

IE 7 version 7.0.5730.13

ECS 760GX-M2 motherboard

AMD Sempron Processor 3000+ @ 1806 MHz

ATI Radeon Sapphire X1300 graphics card with latest drivers (downloaded today)

close to 900 GB of free hard disk space

Friday, May 09, 2008 9:40 PM

Success the Update to 8.4 Control center worked,  I can rotate my screen again.  Thank you all for your feed back.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Evening

if you look over in there is a new version of Ati Catalyst 8.5 that improves reliablity and is WHQL certified for Sp3. And many other fixes. So please. Report back your results. (I do not have the hardware to test these)

Cheers Keith

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:25 AM
  • I can't setup the Ati catalyst 8.5.

I got the message as follow:

"Setup did net find a driver compatible with your current hardwaer or operation system. Setup will now exit."

My display card is ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600.

Operation system is Windows XP SP3

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:50 PM

After noon Alex

I have to ask the easy obvious questions first. Did you have dot net 1.1and 2.0 and its service pack installed? Necessary for Catalyst operation. What about VS2005 from microsoft? *going to need this later

You can check to see if these are install by the add/remove program listing in your control panel.

Also on the servies.msc panel did you have the following  at least manual

Plug and play

UPnp host. at least set to manual

RPC. (Not the locator one unless you need t

The RPC depends on a lot of things.  If you wish you can view the dependencys right clicking on the RPC, the propertrys then dependencys. There are a lot. So I will leave it to you to check these out.

Clipboad does not copy these. *a pain I know*

I Have to ask did you upgrade all your sound,chipset, cardbus drivers prior to sp3? here is an excellent resources

To make things easy for you this tool was developed. *Not a microsoft tool. * But seems to be the thing you are after.

This is better then communicating back and forth and trying to modify your .inf yourself.

Since you seem to be comfortable with microsoft products. If you have not done so create a restore point. Or create a back up using ASR or Neo or what ever back up orgram you have on your laptop.

Especially all your important "My documents" and favorite settings for IE Firefix, etc.

Hopefully this gets your radeon mobility video card up to date.

I wish some manufactor had created a more recent card to keep things easier for you laptop users.

*Going to get a "Notebook" my self this summer*

Laptop/notebook hardware tends to get old or stale after awhile.

Please post back your results. Hopefully this was helpful to you.

Expect the best results, prepare for the worst.

*Not English or Indian" Native American.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:35 PM
  • While I was wondering and checking out the builds today for ati catalyst 8.5 Is this the link you used to download the driver?

In the supported build section it clearly states your video card was supported? If not then please try this first. If you did then I would complian to ATI and have them fix the .inf. for this download or at least answer why yours did not find any compatible hardware.

If you could download the setupapi log from %windir%\system32 and the section from the windowsupdate log for them. Setupapi is suppost to be the target for windows install soon. And may be enabled in Sp3. Still learning about this

* I have a beta version of the winstaller instead of the normal version*

Cheers again

Friday, May 23, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I too had a major problem after installing SP3. The display on my screen deteriorated badly, with a message saying "Update ATI graphics driver or enable ATI adapter using Display Manager".

Following ATI recommended procedure, uninstalled Catalyst Control Center 8.1 and associated driver. Downloaded 8.5 version and tried to install it and got a message saying "Error no.: 0x80040707" and could not install it.

In frustratation, restored my system to a previous restore point and everything returned to normal. Of course, this means I no longer have SP3 installed.

I am using Windows XP Home and have an ATI Radeon X600SE video card.

Suggestions would be welcome.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:57 PM

Greetings Kumar

Strange error. But possible solvible.

Things to begin with

By chance you do not have any norton anti virus? spy ware protection on do you? currupted keys may result if these are on. Completely removing all traces of NIS2005, 2008. or Trend microware will help prevent this sort of thing. for further information please look for the xp solution center things to do before install Sp3.

And please use the "Adminstrator" account to log into windows when installing Sp3.

Before begining make sure and clear your c:\windows\softwareDitrubution\download folder.

This is to ensure your computer does not slow down any.

1) To begin with you can leave your ATI catalyst driver installed.

a) Lets start, run, type the letters regedit" then press enter key

b) Navigate to the folowing registery keys

c) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Each item should at least have something like this

registey entry      Value

Common Desktop
    %SystemRoot%\Profiles\All Users\Desktop
    Common Programs
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
    %SystemRoot%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    Common Startup
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    %SystemRoot%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    CommonStart Menu
    %SystemRoot%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu

If these are pesent then there is some sort of windows installer error.

Search microsoft downloads. (in your language of choice) Eng englih. Etc. (no offense intended to any one)

Windows installer

Download and reinstall it.

Then attempt your Windows update. Hopefully these sugguestions will help you out.

If you follow these suggestions and things do not work out. Please grab your %windiw%\svcpack.log file and your %windir%\system32\Windows update log file and post back your result either way great or bad. And also your computers configuration information Oem, Dell, alienware,Asus mb if you have it. Any Sata drivers. Amd Intel.

Are your driver else where up and current chipset, inf?,  Processor? Directx?

Cheers Keith

Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Does this mean that   Uninstalling the Windows XP  SP3 update
    might be a workaround to the 0x80040707 error, when attempting install of  ATI All In Wonder 9600 ?
    [ATI Software]
    <!> Setup failed to run installation (0x80040707)

The newer All In Wonder software from ATI is useless ____, so telling people to wait for a "newer" ATI software update is a sick joke.
    I need to be able to install and use the drivers and software which originally came with the card, which might be as much as 4 years old.

I have had a plain ATI video card (ATI/Sapphire HD 3850) working in the same system recently so I do not doubt that recent software can be installed on this Windows XP SP3 Q6600 AGP system.
    I went to the Add/Remove_Programs and performed a full driver and software Remove of the 3850 configuration before attempting the 9600 install.
    Embedded Eng
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:35 PM