none
Trouble With Signing Into Windows 7 With LogIn / User... RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so this is my problem.  I work for a full service hotel Hilton hotel in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.  We're required to update our computers and devices every few years, called a "refresh," and we just completed ours.  We just updated with all devices, computers and moved from Windows XP to Windows 7. For security reasons when you leave your computer idle for a period of time it'll time out and the security screen saver will kick on which is nothing more than the windows login screen.  When you come back you log back in and pick up where you left it.  If a different person needs access then when they attempt to log in it'll log off the original user and everything they were doing and it'll log in the new user.

When we were running Windows XP it was pretty straight forward.  We had both blanks for User and Password, and if you weren't the original user you could fill in both blanks and wait a second while it logged off the original user and then logged on you.  But now that we've upgraded to Windows 7, there's only one blank for Password.  There's no option to change the User name so thusly the Password we're entering will never be correct cause while it might be my password, it isn't the password of the person who's logged in at that particular time.  We're being forced to cold reboot each computer each time we want to log on to someone else's computer if we're not the original person.

I run Vista on a laptop at home.  I know from the login screen I have there's a little red button in the bottom right corner that among other things offers a selection to log off whoever is logged in and gives you then the opportunity to log in.  But on the Windows 7 screen we're dealing with there is no such selection.  So I'm hoping someone can help as I'm sure it's not a great idea to be turning off and turning back on various computers several times a day...  We just need a way really to change the User name without having to reboot every time.

KB

Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It would be kind of you to capture a screenshot for further research.

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the screenshots to the public folder and share their URLs with us.

Before we go furthur, I would like to confirm if the switch user button cannot be found or PC crashes when switching?

Based on my knowledge, User Switching is advertised as a feature that Windows 7 Home Basic/Premium Editions adds over Starter Edition.

You may use Group Policy Editor to enable switch user button.

a. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start Menu Searchbox and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

b. Now go to: Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon

c. In right-side pane, double-click on "Hide entry points for Fast User Switching" option and set it to Not configured.

This issue can also occur because the User Switching option is disabled when a computer joins a domain.

To troubleshot the issue, you may do the following steps:

a. The Welcome screen for fast and easy logon must be enabled. To enable this option, open Control Panel, double-click User Accounts, and then click Change the way users log on or off.

b. The Fast User Switching to log off must be enabled. To enable this option, open Control Panel, double-click User Accounts, and then click Change the way users log on or off.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Blair,

I appreciate the response back.  I was able to inquire about my issue through a call placed to a friend and he gave me the same work around.  Turns out I'm not the only one getting hit by this as it's a corporate thing that IT has been getting inundated with and turning the function off as quickly as calls are placed to them.  But thanks all the same for the response...

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:22 AM