none
Force Boot Performance Monitoring events to always log

Question

• In Windows 7 Event ID 100 events under Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Diagnostics-Performance/Operational only show up if windows thinks there is a problem, i.e. Warning, Error or Critical events, no Information events at all. Events for every boot regardless of severity would be nice. We currenly use an inhouse app to collect boot and login times across our Environment. Using Windows events to record this data would be a big help for us.

Here's an example of the event we're interested in.
    Windows has started up:
    Boot Duration : 52366ms
    IsDegradation : false
    Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2009‎-‎08‎-‎19T04:47:31.578000100Z

What we need is for these events to be recorded on every boot, not just those windows thinks have some kind of problem.

Fiddling around with reg entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot goes some way to acheiving this. e.g. changing BootMinorThreshold_Sec from 60 to 1 will cause every boot to be recorded as an "Error" (but at least you've then got the boot time). Would this cause windows to eventually think something bad was happening and take some action? Who knows.

Does anyone know how to force Windows 7 to record boot times for every boot regardless of error level?
    Also, does anyone know what the reg entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot actually do?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:10 AM

All replies

• could not find the key information everywhere. and i don't think you could customize it to be an Information...Perhaps you will need someone from MSFT to look into this.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Hi, I am trying to do exactly the same as you for the same reasons. However I am having problems enabling any events Have pretty much set everything to 1 but it still isn't logging....

Don't suppose you could list all you reg keys so I can compare ?

ManyThanks

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:14 PM