Outlook 2010 Can't type in email body RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unable to type in the email body in either a new email or a reply.  I can type in the address bar and subject, but not in the email body.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The cursor doesn't move at all, so it isn't something simple like the text color being white. :)

Thank you.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try starting Outlook in safe mode and check if it helps

To start Outlook in safe mode hold the control key on the keyboard and then click on the Outlook icon.

If Outlook works fine in safe mode, try disabling the add-ins following the link below:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA100341271033.aspx

Try creating a new profile in Outlook and check if it helps.

To create a new profile refer: http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/829918      

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:11 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Jennifer,

I deleted all add ins, and created new profiles for both of my email profiles.  This seemed to work initially, but it is still actinging flaking, by sometimes not allowing me to type an email address or not allowing me to type in the email body.  Any help wopuld be appreciated.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Hi

i have had this as an ongoing issues for ages and all MS can say is turn of add - in and create a new profile. non of these make a difference at all and still experience the problem. 

from my testing it seems to be related to the rendering of the HTML message. the work around i have found is restart outlook ( not really good enough) or to change message format from HTML to PLAIN or RTF and then back to HTML. again not really a good enough solution.

even had it when a person was typing and e mail and was half way through. another e mail arrived which he went to reply to but experienced the problem where he could not click into the e mail. went back to the half written e mail which was not totally blank and could not click into the body.

• Proposed as answer by zinaptik Friday, February 26, 2016 8:52 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 10:50 AM
  • agree, this is a major issue for us as well. 

till  now no fix for that. 

anyone??????

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Have suffered this issue also for many months now.

Running repair on Outlook seems to resolve the issue for a period of time then it comes back again.

Agree with IPS Group this looks like an HTML rendering issue of sorts

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:11 AM
  • We are developing add-in for Outlook and our customer reported that he experiences this issue with keyboard from time to time. The issue is very intermittent and seems to reproduce on Outlook 2010, but not on Outlook 2013 (at least we have never run into the issue on 2013). But still customer thinks (and I cannot disprove it) that the work of add-in makes keyboard not working while composing new e-mail message.

As you could have understood turning off add-ins would not help in our case even if that worked in other cases.

Given almost no information on the issue from development point of view on the Internet I do not hope for any answer but maybe someone knows what in the code of add-in could cause Outlook to behave this way?

Monday, September 2, 2013 6:06 PM
  • I opened up hotmail in google chrome and it worked fine.  had same issues everyone else had doing it in mozilla firefox.  But I do not have outlook on my computer, so not sure if this will work for you
    Friday, September 6, 2013 1:44 AM
  • We were able to find out what was the reason of keyboard getting locked in our case. It was not correctly implemented non-modal form in our add-in. So after this form was shown and hidden for the first time we were able to reproduce the issue (it was not more intermittent). The fix was to replace hiding of form with it's closing (form.Hide()->form.Close());

As for other symptoms: not only keyboard get locked, but also toolbar menu in Outlook 2007/2010 stopped working at all (you click the item and nothing happens) and context menu in navigation tree were broken (if you right-click for the first time, but with second click you get broken context menu). Also if you try to type non-english letters (cyrillic for example) into Subject of new e-mail you would get squares instead of symbols (but copy-paste of such symbols from different place works fine).

I hope that this information will help some developers with their Outlook add-ins.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Hello,  This works for me, . . . so far.  I right-click anywhere in the message area.  Then, click "encoding".  Then click "Western European".  Hope this helps.

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:12 PM
  • I have also found this problem with 2010. I can only compose emails using Plain Text Option
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:25 AM
  • Change HTML format to Richtext or Plain and then back to HTML it works.

Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:59 AM
  • I tried this for one of my users but it didn't help.  I have noticed an issue between Excel and Outlook which could be caused by an addin.  The user had Excel open, but wasn't really doing anything with it.  I had already tried many of the options above with no luck.  I closed Excel and the body of the email immediately came up.  It's the weirdest thing.  I have also seen when I (and others) have done a Save As in Excel, the window comes up behind the main Excel window.  When I close any new emails that I have open in Outlook, the Excel Save As window suddenly comes forward. 

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:55 PM