none
Windows Media Center can't see my video files

Question

• OS = Windows 7: In Windows Media Center, it will not see the video files in the folder.  I have removed the path and re-entered it, but to no avail, media center will not find the files.  I can see them via windows explorer, play them through media player, but cant be seen in media center.  However, if you look at them using the "Date Taken" option, they are there, but under the "Folder" option, they are not.

Any help out there on this issue?

Friday, August 13, 2010 1:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would also like add: I have two MCE that cant see the files at all.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:47 AM
  • I have found and solved my issue
    • Marked as answer by Marc McK Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:37 PM
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:37 PM
  • How?  I'm having the same problem
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Meee tooooo

and Ive already checked the registry and all the values in root for every video extension are as they should be...

ah hunting we will go... when i find the answer I will report back here...

Sunday, October 24, 2010 1:16 PM
  • SenseMSDOS3.0, what's the file type of these videos? Do they get added to Windows Media Player's library?

Does Media Center pick up normal AVI and WMV videos?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, October 25, 2010 12:27 PM
  • I have the same problem - I dont see any video files in Media Center at all... Can someone give me a hint what could be wrong?  Thanks!

P.S. Can microsoft get anything right?  

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:11 AM
  • 1, where did these files come from?
    2. what is the file extension?
    3. do they play in Windows Media PLAYER?
    4. where on your computer are they located?
    5. did you add them to the video library in Windows Media PLAYER?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 05:11:57 +0000, Alex3330333 wrote:

>
    >
    >I have the same problem - I dont see any video files in Media Center at all... Can someone give me a hint what could be wrong?  Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
    >P.S. Can microsoft get anything right?  

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:55 AM
  • This seems to be a common problem with no common solution going back to vista.

It is all over the place and the problem is pretty broad.

Common threads:

Files types = Video (mp4,avi,mkv, etc etc etc...) and Pictures (jpeg, bmp etc.)

File location = Local Storage or network storage.

Behavior - When attempting to browse ,in folder view, video, picture, movie folders. Windows Media Center (seen it in Vista x32, Windows 7 x32 and x64) will not show folder art or contents of the folder. Seems to work if you browse by date (option at the top). Files play in windows media player correctly on the same computer that media center is on. Media files play correctly on other computers also. Xbox 360 extenders still seem to fuction. In every case so far the folders are shared.

Solutions tried (worked for some)-

Removing the Media library databases under C:\Users\<account>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player. restarting the computer.

recreating or reassociating the file types in windows via registry script or manually.

Changing the ntfs permissions and owner of the folders. Stopping the share and resharing it.

I am currently having the same issue. none of what I have listed has worked so far. So I am still exploring options. and hoping to solve this before I reinstall or move to a different product.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:35 AM
  • can we talk about YOUR particular issues as opposed to generalities? you should
    not have to change NTFS permissions. are the folders all shared and added to
    libraries using Windows Media Player? or Windows Media Center? are these files
    in the default locations under the Users hierarchy or ?

can we start with the file types natively supported by Windows Media
    Center/Player? To play mkv, third party codecs must be installed. Probably you
    are using DivX and ?

this thread was about video files. you also mention jpegs and bmps.

what kind of network storage? (computers/OS? or NAS?)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:35:59 +0000, Jeff Saylor wrote:

>It is all over the place and the problem is pretty broad.
    >
    >
    >
    >Common threads:
    >
    >Files types = Video (mp4,avi,mkv, etc etc etc...) and Pictures (jpeg, bmp etc.)
    >
    >File location = Local Storage or network storage.

Barb Bowman

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:38 AM
  • can we talk about YOUR particular issues as opposed to generalities? you should
    not have to change NTFS permissions. are the folders all shared and added to
    libraries using Windows Media Player? or Windows Media Center? are these files
    in the default locations under the Users hierarchy or ?
    can we start with the file types natively supported by Windows Media
    Center/Player? To play mkv, third party codecs must be installed. Probably you
    are using DivX and ?
    this thread was about video files. you also mention jpegs and bmps.
    what kind of network storage? (computers/OS? or NAS?)
    On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:35:59 +0000, Jeff Saylor wrote:
    >It is all over the place and the problem is pretty broad.
    >
    >
    >
    >Common threads:
    >
    >Files types = Video (mp4,avi,mkv, etc etc etc...) and Pictures (jpeg, bmp etc.)
    >
    >File location = Local Storage or network storage.

Barb Bowman

My setup is Different from most I guess.

Files are stored on a 2008 r2 standard core server. The files are located on shares on this server.

The media center computer has the shares add thru the media center library. NO media files show up in folders when browsing media center video's in folder view. The file types don't matter. The behavior is there no matter the file type. AVI, MP4, MKV. DivX and CCCP codecs are installed.

From what I can tell it really seems to be a library issue. Media Center and Media Player use the same database for media locations. If you go into media player or media center and add a library location they show up in both places. Same if you remove them in either media center or media player.

With my problem I can go into media player and see all my video files and play them. When I open up Media center and go to video's the folder art do not show up when I open the folder where the video should be it sits with the blue spinning circle and the file never shows up.

Not sure what other information is needed. but doing a quick search on the internet shows this problem happening a lot.

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:51 AM
  • this almost sounds like a corrupt file. to rule this out, temporarily move all
    the files to a different folder. then move them back a few at a time to test if
    one of them produces the "hung" behavior.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 02:51:22 +0000, Jeff Saylor wrote:

>When I open up Media center and go to video's the folder art do not show up when I open the folder where the video should be it sits with the blue spinning circle and the file never shows up.
    >
    >Not sure what other information is needed. but doing a quick search on the internet shows this problem happening a lot.

Barb Bowman

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:32 AM