USB Midi Class Compliant Devices Do Not Work in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• There seems to be a tremendous bug in Windows 10 whereby class compliant USB Midi devices are not recognized properly (read as composite devices instead of USB Audio devices, and with an error flag in Device Manager) or are recognized but cannot communicate to DAW programs that are supposed to use them.

I have searched for hours, and found nothing but many, many threads of frustrated users. Help options seem to be limited to useless generic posts about contacting the device manufacturer (even though this issue occurs on TONS of devices and again, these are class compliant devices) or trying Windows troubleshooting or repair (but this is an inherent bug, so there's nothing to fix).

Is there any hero out there who has solved this problem? Or anyone with some kind of access to a higher level of tech support? I don't imagine the fix would really be that difficult for dedicated high-level MS engineers, but it's clear that no one has solved this yet and it's a major Windows 10 shortcoming.

Thanks!

Monday, December 5, 2016 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After reading your post I think you have done enough, on system or machine level, what we can do is limited, just remove device and redetect it in device manager, change another USB port and contact manufacturer support.

Device’s driver is built-in by manufacturer, Windows just detects it rather than configure it, if Windows doesn’t detect it properly, we can download driver from manufacturer website, this is the only way.

I search online for a long times, just general troubleshooting thread, hope other forum users have some solution for you.

Troubleshooting Class Compliant USB Computer Peripherals

http://www.akaipro.com/kb/article/1602

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:30 AM
  • This is not an acceptable answer! Every computer for the last 10 years or more has been able to recognize a basic class compliant midi keyboard. Windows 7 had no problems doing this. Why would windows 10 not be able to do that anymore? There are many many people with many different makes of keyboards that expect the basic functionality out of windows.
    Friday, December 23, 2016 1:32 PM
  • Agreed. This is an issue with Windows Drivers. NOT a lack of manufacturer drivers.

Looks like I'm going back to Windows 7.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Teemo Tang, sorry but you are 100% incorrect on this matter.

People do not need to contact the manufacturer for issues installing a Class Compliant Device. Class Compliance is exactly that, compliance to allow the immediate plug and play functionality of Class Compliant hardware agreed upon between OS developers and manufacturers of hardware in the Class Compliance USB standards.

Microsoft, Apple and Linux all share a recognised standard of Class Compliance with Manufacturers which is strictly adhered to for all USB devices marked as Class Compliant, whether they be Human Interface Devices, Video, Audio or any other USB device.

Drivers are built in to the operating systems to provide a standard set of functions that these devices can easily access via GENERIC drivers provided by the OS developer and built into the OS without the need to go hunting for a compatible driver. The functions that these generic drivers support do not change and as such should not impact the use of such devices across updates and patches.

In this case, ALL MIDI functions for these standard controller keyboards are catered for in the Class Compliance of the generic driver provided by the OS developer and as such, no driver has ever been developed by the manufactrurer of the device because it's not needed.  This leaves the user with no alternative but to use the generic driver supplied with the operating system which is bought and paid for, therefore the rights of the customer to use it unhindered as a Class Compliant OS are also tied into this.

Microsoft should not be removing this compliance by breaking the driver or it's install mechanism for these Class Compliant devices even if it's under the guise of an update of any kind.  Provisions to keep the drivers and Class Compliant installs working and the devices functional should be at the top of the list even before Microsoft start to think about publishing and distributing updates to their cutomers.

The whole reason Class Compliance exists is because manufacturers and OS developers both want an easy way for peripherals to just work with a standard set of functions out of the box.  Standardisation is the key here and Class Compliance for USB devices has been around for a very long time because of this standardisation.

This has not changed and Class Compliant devices, however old they are, remain to be Class Compliant. It is however, possible that the OS developer (Such as Microsoft and Apple) will provide additional functionality on top of the standard functions supported by Class Compliant generic drivers.

It is unheard of that an OS developer break or remove Class Compliance from their OS and then direct their paying customers to the manufacturer of the device, which are not responsible for the generic driver and Class Compliant install procedure!  This is why so many people here are quite rightfully complaining and demanding action be taken to fix this, stating that Microsoft is at fault here, not providing the basic Class Compliance required of the standard.

Be it broken device installs or incorrectly identifying peripherals, it's all WRONG and needs fixing for Microsoft to regain respect and credibility as a computer Operating System developer.  Also Microsoft are wasting time and money of customers by doing this and risking class action law suits or the equivalent in European courts as it's unfair business practice and highly irregualr.

Hopefully Microsoft will notice the errors and wrongdoing, heed the advice and they will do the required thing and fix this broken mess.

I know I still have this issue even though I have managed to get my MIDI keyboard working once with Windows 10 in July 2018 by deleting the midi device list in the registry and redetecting everything.  I was able to use the device for about two days before shutting down my computer and removing the USB cable and storing the keyboard.  Until today that it.  Microsoft have yet again forced an update which has overridden my fix.

If I can fix this with a simple redetect of Class Compliant USB MIDI devices after manually removing them from the registry, then surely Microsoft have the professionalism and decency as a software and service provider to fix this issue once and for all and to promise to patch this so that the Class Compliant installs and generic device drivers for such continue to work as they are supposed to?

I'm not happy and want this issue resolving as per your duty and responsibility to do so.

Can you provide an estimate of when this patch will be brought to your online Windows 10 mandatory update please ?

What Microsoft is also neglecting to tell users here is that their implementation has massive issues installing Class Compliant MIDI devices over USB 3 connections but USB 2 connections seem to work sometimes.  If you do have USB 2 still, try it, it may work with or without registry tweaks but this DOES NOT help people that have computing devices that lack USB 2 ports like many current notebooks and new motherboards.
    Monday, July 30, 2018 5:05 PM
  • I can't believe there is no action on this. 

Like you say it seems so basic to connect a simple midi interface - devices i've used for years on a mac, won't under any circumstance function of any of my PCs. And there is no recourse it seems.

I objected to paying apple prices but now I know why it is necessary for producers

Friday, February 1, 2019 4:05 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this?

My midi keyboard (M-Audio Keystation 32) came with a USB cable that more often than not will actually connect to my Windows 10 devices, however this is shorter than a dog's tale so is far from practical but all other USB cables and extension leads results in this 'device are not recognized properly' shenanigans.

This has been a real long time issue that now seems completely unlikely to be resolved by Microsoft, but maybe someone has found a workaround?

Saturday, March 9, 2019 2:50 PM
  • This is highly inaccurate and very disappointing. I hope you do more research before providing feedback on MIDI related issues.
    Tuesday, December 24, 2019 3:04 AM
  • Going back to Windows 7 won't solve anything here and hey we r here now the end of Windows 7 so .... I guess it si the MIDI hard drive problem
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 3:21 PM