none
Windows Explorer error: "class not registered"

Question

• Hi, I appreciate any assistance you can give:

I receive an error message that Windows Explorer stopped working and then Vista shut down Explorer.  Now every time I bring up a folder or even Computer or Control Panel, I get the error message "Class not Registered" and the explorer window doesn't open.

Problem Reports and Solutions has the following data:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Explorer.EXE

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b091

Fault Module Name: ExplorerFrame.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bd00

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00002f80

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 440446976

Dell suggests I restore Windows Vista to the factory image, but I think if someone could show me how to re-register Explorer I could avoid all that.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:23 PM

All replies

• i have the same problem. i haven't created any system restore points either. i don't want to reformat!

*edit* i'm also dual-booting, viewing vista folders from xp & vice-versa.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:14 AM
  • I have been receiving the same error.  There's no information from Vista as to *what* class is not registered.  Explorer just can't be run. Period.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:14 PM
  • try start > run > regsvr32 ExplorerFrame.dll  > ok . reboot. not sure but hope it helps. Smile
    Friday, July 20, 2007 5:00 PM
  •  anandkay wrote:
    try start > run > regsvr32 ExplorerFrame.dll  > ok . reboot. not sure but hope it helps.

sorry that didn't work for me.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 4:23 AM
  • I have the same problem, exlporer.exe stopped working, class not registered

Any solution to this so far.

tnx.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:19 AM
  • This just started happening to me, too (first detected Nov 28 2007).  I refuse to totally reinstall Windows Vista (for the third time) and lose all my data!  Windows Update won't function (an ongoing intermittent problem with my PC (Dell XPS410) with Windows Vista Home Premium), and the Windows Repair feature on my CD will not come up.  The problem is evident while in Safe Mode as well, and the repair options there don't help.  Dell diagnostics are no help either.  I can navigate my folders only if I use the Run command, then Browse, then select the folder I need.  Everything else is running fine. 

• Proposed as answer by jaeyeo Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:34 AM
    Saturday, December 01, 2007 2:16 PM
  • All:

I had the exact same issue and installed this patch:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935855

After installing it, my problem went away, which I'm assuming was because Explorerframe.dll was corrupted on my Dell Latitude D630 laptop.

Are all of these problems relating to Dell computers by chance?  I have had corruption after corruption issue on these laptops...

- Scott

Friday, February 08, 2008 7:34 PM
  •  

Im also having this problem on my Dell Inspiron 1720.  I cant pinpoint exactly when it started.  At first, I blamed the 11 updates that came down last Tuesday. However, I restored to a point before then and am still having the problem. Also,  I see that folks were having this issue long before this set of updates came out, so I think that fact exonerates them. 

Symptoms:

1.  Cannot open any program that needs windows explorer.  This includes:

a.  My computer

b.  Going to Start...run and typing any path such as  c:\

c.  Opening control panel

d.  Opening windows update.

2. Most everything else is still working.

Im going to try the support article you reference above and keep my fingers crossed. 

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:28 AM
  • Whoo hoo!   Installing the afore-mentioned hotfix did the trick.   

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:39 AM
  •  Scott Frappier wrote:

All:

After installing it, my problem went away, which I'm assuming was because Explorerframe.dll was corrupted on my Dell Latitude D630 laptop.

Are all of these problems relating to Dell computers by chance?  I have had corruption after corruption issue on these laptops...

- Scott

How do you find fixes like this when your having problems, I search but never find quite the right fix.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Jevon:

To be honest...I just get lucky.  My progression on this issue was:

1. Couldn't do anything (as documented above).
    2. Searched online for the same issue.  Found other users that had it.
    3. Found a key word stating that it was a DLL file, verified that this was the case by going to IE and reproducing an error.
    4. As I didn't want to disable UAC, take ownership of files, and change system settings, I though that there may be a patch out there that includes an updated ExplorerFrame.DLL.  So I decided to put in that file name and also a "windows update" after it and the results came back with that KB article.
    5. Installed and it worked.
    6. Shared information so other people can get past this pesky issue.

9 times out of 10, I just stumble upon something by clicking around Smile.

- Scott

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:58 PM
  • I'm glad your problem went away, my problem however can't it seems...
    Since when I try to download the KB935855 patch, I get to the lovely Genuine Windoh!s Validation Tool (which unfortunately is an .EXE file) and that's as far as I get since that Class is not registered...

I guess it's just yet another reinstall here... Woohoo.
    - Not Happy
    Monday, April 07, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Hi Owyeahgreat, Vista SP1 has the latest version of ExplorerFrame.dll, so I hope it includes the fix for this problem. Have you applied SP1 yet?

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Hey hey, thanks for the reply,

I've just found a solution to my problem, it appears that Panda Anti Virus launched a defective virus-update messed up my system, the error messages were similar to those up here so I thought it was the same problem...

http://www.pandasecurity.com/netherlands/ has a fix that can be downloaded...
    Worked in 5 minutes for me. With apologies from Panda Software.

Basically the scanner saw Windows Vista as a virus ^^ Which I found rather amusing.
    Anyway, thanks for the help and ohpe this helps some of you.

- Happy again, but still slightly annoyed.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Hey hey, thanks for the reply,

I've just found a solution to my problem, it appears that Panda Anti Virus launched a defective virus-update messed up my system, the error messages were similar to those up here so I thought it was the same problem...

http://www.pandasecurity.com/netherlands/ has a fix that can be downloaded...
    Worked in 5 minutes for me. With apologies from Panda Software.

Basically the scanner saw (some files of) Windows Vista as a virus ^^ Which I found rather amusing.
    Anyway, thanks for the help and ohpe this helps some of you.

- Happy again, but still slightly annoyed.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  

I have Panda Antivirus here too... And the same ExplorerFrame.dll error :"|

I can't find the fix on that (terrible not-easy-to-use) site! (It hasnt got a searchfunction!!!)

Were did you find it?

Please help, im still sitting here with this **** problem.

- Grtz YoYo (NL!)

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Hmm indeed the site isn't the greatest, here a link that should help:
    http://claus.nu/blog/?p=16

The site has 2 ways howto and a link to get the solution.exe file.

System works like a charm again.
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:03 AM
  •  

Thnx for the reply...

Well, I did something else. Please don't ask what xD Stick out tongue But now its working again!

It wasnt Panda. It had to do something with wininet.dll...

ok thnx a;;!

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 4:20 PM
  •  Scott Frappier wrote:

All:

- Scott

Scott,

Thank you for this!!  It worked like a charm!  I have an ASUS G1Sn-X1 gaming laptop (that I just formatted a few days ago) and I started having this problem just an hour ago.  I installed the kb patch, and rebooted, and it was fine.  I am not sure what caused this still, but I just installed AVG 8.0 a few days ago, and with the talk about Panda causing issues, I am curious if that caused my problem.  I will probably check out AVG's website, but I wanted people to know that this solution worked for me as well!!  Cheers!!

James
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:09 PM
  • hi Owyeahgreat plz help me i am having the same problem i cant even donwload anything my desktop is all blacked and when i go to taskMANAGER and try to browse it also dont works and when i try to create a new task it dont works aswell it says class not registered plz help me plz!! and 1 thing do u know how to reboot in this condition plz help me reply me here or at crockyoz@hotmail.co.uk
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:47 PM
  • i have a lenovo and all of a sudden its saying class not registerd when i go to start and try to click on control panel thats watt come up when i go to skype and try to video chat its affecting that all so i cant video chat any more immmm sad does any one have any solution at alll please i need ti to fix now remember its a lenovo 3000 n200
    Saturday, July 03, 2010 11:48 AM
  • I downloaded the file but when I tried to install the update Vista answered me with error code 0x80080005. I use the 32bit version.

Any solution available for the problem, considering that I can not deal with explorer.exe?

Best regards.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Thanks for the help everyone! This patch does infact work, but i couldn't download it and didn't feel like pulling out a usb drive and transferring it over. When i ran in safe mode a help menu came up, there was an option for system restore, opened that up and viola! I restored my system to 12 last night. I was trying to get a custom them for vista, but the .dll was for windows 7. How do you think that went. So yes it is a problem with the .dll like stated. Thanks for the help!
    • Edited by Drew Ski Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Thanks Cackie - none of any of the other solutions I tried work except your suggestion Run > Browse.
    Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:37 AM