none
urlmon.dll

General discussion

• On the windows 7 x64 beta I am getting an issue when trying to run a game called CABAL from OGPlanet it is saying "Access violation at address 7582B479 in module 'urlmon.dll'. Read of address 00000000." I was wondering if anyone knew what that meant or how to solve the issue
    Monday, January 12, 2009 1:38 AM

All replies

• This is the information i just got on urlmon.dll

urlmon.dll (Microsoft OLE32 Extensions) - Details

The library file urlmon.dll, is required by windows and is used when performing OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) operations. OLE allows objects created in one application to be embedded in documents/objects created by a different applications e.g. embedding an Excel spreadsheet inside a Word document. OLE is used fairly extensively in windows applications, so if possible you should not remove this file.

urlmon.dll is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Microsoft OLE32 Extensions may adversly impact your system.

The Process Server database currently registers urlmon.dll to Microsoft.

This is part of Microsoft Windows.

It seems that the game is trying to access a part of the OS that it really has no reason to.  If OLE32 is for embedding objects by other applications i would have to ask why it is trying to access this in the first place.  From what i see it is a MMORPG for the USA and Canada.  Is there other parts to this than jsut the game like a map editor or something?

~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem with European version of the game.

I've asked the developer (support), and they told me to replace Internet Explorer 8 with some earlier version.

Exactly, they told me to replace it with latest version, but IE 8 is not official yet.

"Please uninstall the IE version you have and install the latest one available. THe one that came with Windows7 is not so good."

This is the part of the email I got from them.

Of course, I'm running the game from admin acct., but the problem seems to be in GameGuard security system, which is starting during the game inicialization.

So I've tried to turn off antivirus, firewall, etc. (really dangerou, I know), but the problem was still. So I turned it on again.

No I can see the information window with Access violation at address 7716B479 in module 'urlmon.dll'. Read of address 00000000.

After "OK" the same window appear again, and after the next "OK" the window closes.

Can you advise please?

Many thanks.

Regards

Petr H.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:02 AM