none
Windows kills P2P Networking Need Fix! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small business with 4 computers and each one runs hard wire through CAT6 cable to a Netgear Switch for access to files on each others computers and internet access through an external router. Every system is open and all drives are shared for everyone on the network.

Every time Windows does an update, they kill the networks and I have to go through a long process of confirming workgroup name, turning off and on sharing multiple times and rebooting computers multiple times. Does anyone have a better solution for this other than Windows Server?

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:10 PM

All replies

• The actual reason this happens, is not particularly the fault of Windows, rather your network is being saturated. You will get to decide whether you should fix it by using a workaround on the software or building out your network to meet the demands of the software you have elected to use.

So, there are multiple ways to handle this. I can only post in generalities as your network configuration is unknown.

On the software side of things, one is within the settings of Windows and setting the connection to metered. Or you can set a schedule for Windows Update. For my Windows 10 system I have it set to do updates at 2:00 AM. There are also third-party programs out there that you can use to set bandwidth limits per process (or perhaps per service) so to not cause a problem.

On the hardware side, you can make sure that your network hardware is matching. So that all interfaces are using gigabit (or whatever). You can see if there are any QoS options available in your hardware to set bandwidth limits.

Also you can increase your network speed from your ISP. As I would expect you are likely hitting the ~65% (or less, this figure is taking in account for overhead) of your total bandwidth available from the ISP. I do not know what the speed from WU is at, so I cannot give a minimum download speed recommendation.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:31 PM