"Window to Go" Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A while back, I created a Windows to Go SSD drive using Windows 10 windows to go creation tool and Windows 10 Enterprise. The SSD is activated and is working fine.  I tried a number of ways to upgrade the SSD to Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 to no avail:

- I tried an in-place upgrade using the latest copy of Window 10 Enterprise but the process fails and reverses itself.

- Windows update does not update to 1611

- I tried to use the Cab files to upgrade but there is a version inconsistency.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this?  Is Microsoft ever going to allow upgrade via /windows update?

Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:50 PM

Answers

• Pretty sure in place upgrades are not supported for Windows to Go.

You would need to re provision the OS onto the drive.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/windows-10-deployment-scenarios?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

From that article:

There are some situations where you cannot use in-place upgrade; in these situations, you can use traditional deployment (wipe-and-load) instead. Examples of these situations include:

Windows To Go and Boot from VHD installations. The upgrade process is unable to upgrade these installations. Instead, new installations would need to be performed.

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Friday, October 14, 2016 5:42 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hello Kopoly,

You could also upgrade windows 10 to windows 10 1607, and then create a windows to Go SSD drive using windows 10 Enterprise 1607 windows to go creation tool.

Best Regards

George

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:42 AM
  • Pretty sure in place upgrades are not supported for Windows to Go.

You would need to re provision the OS onto the drive.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/windows-10-deployment-scenarios?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

From that article:

There are some situations where you cannot use in-place upgrade; in these situations, you can use traditional deployment (wipe-and-load) instead. Examples of these situations include:

Windows To Go and Boot from VHD installations. The upgrade process is unable to upgrade these installations. Instead, new installations would need to be performed.

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Friday, October 14, 2016 5:42 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:14 AM