manually having to start explorer.exe after vista upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I can not find this specific problem anywhere on the net, so I am making a new post.

I upgraded from XP Home Edition to Vista Business.  Upgrade went smoothly.  Logged in and all I got was 'My Documents' folder to open, and a blank desktop screen.  No start menu, Windows Side bar, quick launch.. couldn't even right click on desktop.  Could run anything I wanted to from inside the folder that opens on default but once I closed that only ctrl+alt+delete gets you anywhere.

Fastest way to get my desktop back .. log in, wait, wait, ctrl+alt+delete.  Run the task manager, run new program, run explorer.exe ..and everything starts up like a charm.

I see that explorer.exe is already running however until i re-run the program I don't get a desktop interface to interact with.  I consider myself to be an advanced computer user .. how will regular computer users solve this problem .. or am I the only one?

Sorry to be long winded just want to find a solution..  thanks for any real guru's out there who could possibly help.

lono

Monday, May 14, 2007 4:05 PM

Answers

•  

Start > Run , type in   'regedit'    (without the quotes of course) in the search box .

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

In Winlogon, on the right side, there should be a value called "Shell".
    Double click this value.  Make sure only 'Explorer.exe' is the value of Shell, if anything else is there , simply delete it and leave 'Explorer.exe' . Close out the window and restart....

See if that works..

• Proposed as answer by Silo45 Friday, March 13, 2009 12:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander SklarEditor Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:12 AM

All replies

• bump.

would love to get this solved ... am i really the only one out there that has this problem after an upgrade?

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:05 PM
  • I am having the same problem I believe. My system was running Vista Ultimate for about 2 weeks fine and then this. Before I manually start explorer in Task Manager there doesn't seem to be an explorer.exe  process running.
    If anyone one can help out it would be much appreciated.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:09 PM
  •  

Start > Run , type in   'regedit'    (without the quotes of course) in the search box .

Double click this value.  Make sure only 'Explorer.exe' is the value of Shell, if anything else is there , simply delete it and leave 'Explorer.exe' . Close out the window and restart....

See if that works..

• Proposed as answer by Silo45 Friday, March 13, 2009 12:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander SklarEditor Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:12 AM
  • I beleive he said that explorer.exe was already running.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:41 AM
  • Start > Run , type in   'regedit'    (without the quotes of course) in the search box .

See if that works..

this worked for me but value of shell was "explorer.exe C:\windows\explorer.exe"

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I have the same problem.

my shell says

"explorer.exe c:\windows\config\lsass.exe"

should i delete the lsass.exe part? Isn't that neccessary?

David

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:34 PM
  • In my experience, lsass.exe should NOT be in C:\Windows\Config ... it's proper home is in C:\Windows\System32

The only time I have found it in C:\Windows\Config is when it was not really lsass.exe but Trojan.Win32.VB.bdo in disguise.

Suggestion:-   DELETE IT ASAP

Saturday, October 6, 2007 1:57 PM
  • Works like a charm!!!  been looking all over the place for a solution and was just about to give up and go back to Windows XP =D
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 2:30 PM
  • Glad that I could help.

When you have doubts about a file, it's always worth checking for it's correct location.  Nine-times-out-of-ten, if it's not in the 'windows' or 'system32' directories then it's probably a trojan or virus.  A web search should reveal all.''I

t's also worth checking the Symantec site to see what they have to say.

Live long and .............

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:54 AM
  • camilop said:

See if that works..

Thank you, this worked.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I am having the same issue, but THe SHell Value is explorer.exe.

Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Great, thanks for the solution worked a charm......
    you are a star
    regards
    Styl3r
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Also worked for me - thank you very much :) - do we know what is causing 'this'?
    • Proposed as answer by Pankaj42 Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:54 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Also worked for me - thank you very much :) - do we know what is causing 'this'?

No doubt, such modifications are made to windows registry settings by viruses and malwares. Even after they are removed, the ill settings are left behind.
    But In my case the settings are perfect, as noted by some of us above, still desktop doesnot come up by itself it has to be manually started. THis is not the 1st time that i have come across such a problem with client machines, in most of the cases this was resolved by modifying these settings. But today in one of the vista premium laptop, it has not resolved, there has to be something more than this, if someone can throw some light.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:00 AM