none
Windows Server 2012 RDS per user CAL license - exceeded

Question

• Hi,

Today we have installed RDS license in terminal server (windows server 2012 r2) over telephone. We purchased 5 licenses for windows server 2012 RDS per User CAL. We have tested the RD licenses with 3 domain accounts and we were able to do RDP of this license server. 3 licenses are issued and 2 more available now. There are 4 more domain users are logged in to this server and the RDS licenses exceeded the limit what we have purchased, which means that total 7 licenses are issued and no available licenses to be issue. PFA the screenshot for your ref.

But i couldn't revoke certificate for that 3 domain user where we used for testing purpose because the option is grayed out. I am wondering that we have purchased 5 quantity but licenses issued count is 7. Should we need to pay extra if the issued licenses exceeded the limits. Can you briefly explain how the RDS license works and my requirement is that the project team wants 5 (RDP) concurrent sessions of the server, hence we have purchased 5 CAL per User licenses. does it make sense? or should we need to purchase CAL per device licenses. 

In future we may need more concurrent RDP sessions to the different server. In this case what kind of license we need to procure either per User or per device.

Thanks,

Vijay

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Vijay,

If a total of 7 unique humans used the server then you need to own 7 RDS and Windows Server CALs to comply with the license agreement.  Generally licenses may be re-assigned from one person to another person once very 90 days, except for in special circumstances such as employee being terminated or temporarily to cover an employee's absence.  Please see applicable Product Terms and license documents for specific details.

Please note that unique people doesn't necessarily equal the logons.  For example, say your primary user account is Vijay and you created two test accounts, testuser1 and testuser2, and used all three to connect to the server yourself.  In this case you would only need 1 RDS CAL since only one unique person connected (you), even though RD Licensing Manager would show 3 licenses issued.

The reverse is true as well.  For example, say you had 100 people connecting, but all of them used the same account, genericuser1.  In this case RD Licensing Manager would only show 1 license issued, but you would need 100 licenses.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Vijay,

RDS licensing is not concurrent.  It is either per unique human (Per User) or per unique device (Per Device).

As long as you have a Per User RDS CAL and Per User Windows Server CAL for each unique person that is connecting you should be fine.  Assuming each person only uses one AD account to connect the counts you see in RD Licensing Manager should correct themselves within 60 days.

If you add an additional RDSH server in the future you need to make sure the people connecting have an RDS Per User CAL and Windows Server Per User CAL.  If the people connecting to the new server already have licenses (because they were needed for the first server) then there is no need to purchase them again.  A Per User CAL allows the user to connect to as many different servers in your environment as required.

-TP

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Hi TP,

Thanks for your comments. We have purchased 5 quantity CAL per user license though the license is issued 7 and 0 available which means that we have used 2 additional CAL per user license. My question is do we need to pay the additional 2 licenses and more in future?

How to revoke license for unwanted user so that we can utilize those license to the people who need it. Still confusing on concurrent sessions for windows server 2012. It allows 2 concurrent sessions by default and how to increase the concurrent sessions for a server that is running windows server 2012.

Thanks,

Vijay

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:07 PM
  • Hi Vijay,

How many unique humans need to access the server for something other than purely administrative tasks?  This is the number of Per User RDS CALs that you must own.  What you see in RD Licensing Manager is not the most important thing.

The 2 concurrent sessions you refer to are for administrative purposes only.  You may access these without needing a license using the /admin command line switch, like this:

mstsc /admin

As I said above, RDS licensing is not concurrent (except for the 2 admin sessions).  For example, say you have 100 different people that will be using your server to run applications via Remote Desktop, but only 10 will ever be connected at one time.  In this case you would need to own 100 Per User RDS CALs.

-TP

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi TP,

Got your points. sorry to ask you the same question again and again.

For example, i have 5 unique user and they want to use our server via RD but 5 will ever be connected at same time. In this case i need 5 per User RDS CALs right.

But the license issued count is 7 because 7 unique people have logged in and per User CALs license exceeded the limit what i purchased (5 quantity) as shown in the screenshot. In this case should i pay the additional 2 license cost?

Thanks,

Vijay

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:31 PM
  • Hi Vijay,

If a total of 7 unique humans used the server then you need to own 7 RDS and Windows Server CALs to comply with the license agreement.  Generally licenses may be re-assigned from one person to another person once very 90 days, except for in special circumstances such as employee being terminated or temporarily to cover an employee's absence.  Please see applicable Product Terms and license documents for specific details.

Please note that unique people doesn't necessarily equal the logons.  For example, say your primary user account is Vijay and you created two test accounts, testuser1 and testuser2, and used all three to connect to the server yourself.  In this case you would only need 1 RDS CAL since only one unique person connected (you), even though RD Licensing Manager would show 3 licenses issued.

The reverse is true as well.  For example, say you had 100 people connecting, but all of them used the same account, genericuser1.  In this case RD Licensing Manager would only show 1 license issued, but you would need 100 licenses.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:07 PM
  • i have a small query, one of our client activated the RDP license with Per Device and now they are getting error while connecting to the RDP Server "The remote session was disconnected because the Remote Desktop client access license stored on this computer has been modified."

is it be possible to change my the RDP server licensing from Per Device to Per User, by de-activating and re-activating method or any other alternative solutions for this error.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Srini

Thursday, December 08, 2016 7:33 AM
  • i have a small query, one of our client activated the RDP license with Per Device and now they are getting error while connecting to the RDP Server "The remote session was disconnected because the Remote Desktop client access license stored on this computer has been modified."

is it be possible to change my the RDP server licensing from Per Device to Per User, by de-activating and re-activating method or any other alternative solutions for this error.

Srini

Hi Srini,

Please contact me via email.  If possible, I would like to have you gather some specific information to help me reproduce this issue.  Other people have reported this problem.  I can resolve the error as well, but I would like to gather details first.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, December 08, 2016 7:56 AM

Srini

Hi Srini,

Please contact me via email.  If possible, I would like to have you gather some specific information to help me reproduce this issue.  Other people have reported this problem.  I can resolve the error as well, but I would like to gather details first.

Thanks.

-TP

Dear Sir

Iam facing the same above issue .Kindly give me the solution for the same

• Proposed as answer by Hallmark Honda Friday, December 01, 2017 5:07 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hallmark Honda Friday, December 01, 2017 5:07 AM
    Friday, December 01, 2017 5:01 AM