none
Installation unsuccesful - DISK BOOT FAILURE after first restart RRS feed

• Question

• I was unsuccessfull in doing an install on a separate physical harddrive. After the first restart, I get the error DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM BOOT DISK TO CONTINUE.

Setup:
    AMD X2 5000+, ASUS M2N32N-sli Deluxe
    6GB RAM
    320G SATA II with Vista 64 Ultimate
    160 GB SATA I - no OS
    2x500 GB SATA II - no OS
    150GB SATA I Raptor - this is the one I tried to do the install on

There is only one OS in the system now, and that is the top one. I've cleaned my BCD of any remains of previous OS installs.

Anyone with similar experiences who has some advice? I didn't format the 150GB drive before trying the install, as I have some games installed on it, so that will be my next step, unless somebody out there has some advice

Cheers
    Martin Pagh Ludvigsen
    Denmark
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi everybody.

Just wanted to inform you that deleting the partition from the drive and creating a new one in the installation proces helped. I was able to install easily and am now happily running Windows 7 - and a what a nice experience it is.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:50 AM

All replies

• That happened to me also,  If you had multiple harddrives installed,  enable booting from the harddrive that had you original Vista install on it.  That is where the upgrade/install put the boot manager.  At least thats what happened on my install.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:44 PM
  • While I haven't had this issue with Win7, I did have it with Vista and XP.  The cure for me was to disconnect all hard drives except for the one I was installing the OS on.  Then install it, then reconnect the rest of the hard drives.

- John
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:48 AM
    Answerer
  • To expand on Usinkler's response, be sure to check the boot order in the BIOS as the error you are getting is indicative of it trying to boot of a disk that has not been marked as bootable.

From what you have described I'm not seeing formatting the 150Gb drive as a solution.

A couple of questions that might assist in resolving this.

1. was the 150Gb drive already in the machine before you installed Win7?
        2. did you boot from the installation media to install Win7 or did you start the installation from within your existing Win7 installation?

Regards

Gordon

www.longneckconsulting.com
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:41 AM
    Answerer
  • USinkler and usasma - Thanks for your advice, but I already tried those without any change.

Gordon_Ryan

1 - As I mentioned I have a couple of games installed on the 150GB drive so it is already in use
    2 - I booted from the installation media and did the install from there.

Cheers

Martin
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Hi everybody.

Just wanted to inform you that deleting the partition from the drive and creating a new one in the installation proces helped. I was able to install easily and am now happily running Windows 7 - and a what a nice experience it is.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:50 AM