HRESULT: 0x800706BE


  • I'm trying to launch an application on an XP machine that's not going out to the Internet or trying to talk to a server, and I receive this error:

    The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE). Please contact support with the return code.

    Keep in mind this is on a standard XP workstation, and I need to determine what is causing this error.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app numerous times, and even rebuild the registry keys for this app from scratch.  This app works on all other workstations besides this one, and disabling the AV did not fix the issue.

    I've installed my working application profile on that laptop, and it still gave me the same error.  I also gave the User full admin rights, and the issue remains.

    Any ideas?

    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:46 PM

All replies

  • Is this service pack 1? 

    Sp1 contained this error. Sp2 or 3 might eliminate this problem.

    Process monitor available from here might help you figure out which program is trying to do a remote procedure call. There are blog entries describing how to use process monitor and eliminate this error.

      One educated guess is there is a file referenced in Microsoft Office, or which ever application attempting to cache information about a network file. Clearing most recently used filed list may stop this from happening. This may include Media Center or Windows Media player. Or an installed program development.


    If find something here helpful, then please mark this as answered! 




    Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:48 AM
  • immediately it occurs,check event viewer to find the source of the error,then we can go from there. you can also check i the Remote procedure call service is started or not also check all depended and dependent services.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:33 AM