none
Windows 10 will not boot after update, endless loop of trying to boot RRS feed

• Question

• As the title says, I cannot boot up my Alienware 15 Laptop (Windows 10) since I tried to install the new security update. When I power the laptop on, the boot process becomes an endless loop: trying to boot windows, attempting to repair windows, attempting to restore my previous version of windows, then a black screen, then back to trying to boot windows. I want to avoid reinstalling windows if I can as most of the data on that laptop is not backed up.
    Monday, January 22, 2018 8:18 AM

All replies

• 1)Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or + 8 GB)

2) Create a bootable windows 10 iso

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) Find the applicable keyboard key to boot to the BIOS boot menu:

http://www.disk-image.com/faq-bootmenu.htm

4) Insert the windows 10 iso flash drive into any USB port

5) Power on the computer and repetitively click the applicable keyboard key so that it boots to the BIOS boot menu

6) Select USB external hard drive

7) During the loading of the Windows 10 iso it may take 5 - 10 minutes while viewing the Windows icon

8) Select language, time, currency, and keyboard or click next

9) Click troubleshoot

10) Open the Windows 10 iso advanced troubleshooting menu

11) Start with system restore > oldest restore point > newest restore point.  Try every restore point until there is success.  If this fails or if there are no valid restore points move to the next step

12) Click startup repair.  If startup repair fails move to the next step

13) Click command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

14) type:  DISM /image:X:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

(there is a space between \ /)

15) exit

16) reboot

17) If the above fails there are more troubleshooting steps.

18) Use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures so that you can post images into the thread.

When posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

Try starting the notebook in safe mode with deactivated network drivers.

1. deactivate all network drivers in hardware device manager

2. now booting in standard mode should work again

3. enable all network drivers except Wireless

4. booting should still work

5. revert WLAN driver back to prior version

If the issue persists, then try startup repair.

1.  On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website and create Windows 10 installation media.

2.  Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.

3.  On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer. (If you’re not seeing this screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to boot from media, and then try again.)

4.  On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select Advanced Options > Startup Repair.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:53 AM
  • THIS is an absolutely ridiculous FIX suggestion !

Microsoft chose to do the "latest" update during the night.

When I looked at it this morning, there was a new wallpaper screen with a very nice picture and some verbiage

asking if I wanted to sign up to get "points" by purchasing stuff via Microsoft . Nope, don't want to do that.

When I clicked on the screen to continue, the screen went black and remained that way for several minutes; no keyboard  / mouse response, nor any HDD indicator flashes.

Powered down the computer, waited about 2 minutes, pressed the power on button .......

Screen came up to the basic HP option screen,I did not touch anything, screen went black again and has been sitting there for at least 10 minutes ; no keyboard  / mouse response, some HDD indicator flashes. 

Now I noticed that the HDD indicator is longer flashing .

Sunday, May 20, 2018 4:56 PM
  • Now I noticed that the HDD indicator is longer flashing .

See/hear if Narrator can do anything for you.  Press Win+Ctrl+Enter.  Then try Alt+Tab (since Narrator adds a task to the list it would then show/tell something).  Then try Ctrl+Alt+Delete.  Get into Task Manager and see/hear if explorer.exe is running.  Etc.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 20, 2018 6:36 PM
  • Perform the following steps:

1) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or =  8 GB )

2) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) Insert the bootable Windows 10 iso flash drive into any USB port

4) Power on the computer and repetitively click the applicable key to boot to the BIOS boot menu

http://www.disk-image.com/faq-bootmenu.htm

5) Click the external USB HD

6) If it is a custom computer then temporarily modify the BIOS boot order so that the external USB HD is on top

7) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Microsoft Windows icon

8) In the left lower corner click repair your computer (do not click install)

9) Select language, time, currency, and keyboard, or click next

10) Click troubleshoot

11) Click system restore (start with the oldest restore point and keep repeating as necessary up to the most recent restore point)  (if system restore fails or if there are no restore point then move to the next step)

12) Click command prompt > this should open a black box with title bar:  Administrator: X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe and prompt:  X:\Sources>

13) Type these commands:  (comments will be in parenthesis)

(Use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.  Use 7zip to organize the files and use one drive or drop box to post share links)

14) C:

15) dir

16) D:

17) dir

18) E:

19) dir

20) bcdedit /enum

21) bcdedit | find "osdevice"

22) diskpart

23) list disk

24) list volume

25) select disk 0

26) list partition

27) select partition 1

28) detail partition

29) select partition 2

30) detail partition

31) select partition 3

32) detail partition

33) select partition 4

34) detail partition

35) select disk 1

36) list partition

37) exit

39) dism /Image:W:\ /Get-Packages

(change the letter W to the partition letter displayed in step #21) 

(there is a space between \ and /)

40) (look for KB#:  KB4103721)

41) dism.exe /image:W:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB4014329~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0

(change the letter W to the partition letter displayed in step #21) 

(Replace KB4014329~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0 with the information displayed for KB4103721)

(reboot)

42) If this successful report the success into the thread.

43) It the command is not successful then the images will be viewed for additional troubleshooting steps)

Monday, May 21, 2018 4:40 AM