none
Pre-cache Content for Windows IPU RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows IPU in 2 stages. 1 to verify compatibility and 2 running the actual upgrade.

After the stage one I can see the content on the OS in the c:\windows\ccmcache folder.

However when I try to run stage 2 I can see it is downloading the same content in the c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages folder:

I would like not to download same content again.

Not sure what I missed here. Maybe something on the deployment settings?

Thank you for the help.

Monday, January 27, 2020 8:33 PM

All replies

• This is my deployment settings:

Monday, January 27, 2020 8:40 PM
  • I think you might just need to add steps to the beginning of your precache task sequence that set the SMSTSPersistContent and SMSTSPreserveContent variables to True.

Reference: https://garytown.com/waas-post-1-precache-compat-scan-ts

https://ccmcache.wordpress.com/ | @kevmjohnston

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 12:22 AM
  • Those are set. And the content is on the client. So its not an issue with content being deleted....

I think the issue is that second part is not seeing it and downloads again....I do see packages "at least the OS" in the CCMCache... in the first screenshot.

• Edited by Ogeccut Tuesday, January 28, 2020 1:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 1:30 AM
  • Make sure that you've spelled SMSTSPreserveContent correctly in the Set Task Sequence variable step. It's spelled incorrectly in your screenshot (It's also wrong in the screenshot from Gary's blog that I linked to, but he added a note above it with the correct spelling.)

https://ccmcache.wordpress.com/ | @kevmjohnston

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

Based as I know, when we set the Deployment Options as 'Download all content locally before starting task sequence'. the task sequence will see the content is already cached and will not download the content again. If it is set to 'Download content locally when needed by the running task sequence', it will keep downloading. So please change the setting and see if it is working.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.
    Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:11 AM
  • Thanks, but that is just the name of the step. The Variable name is correct "just checked" and the content is there.

So that part working as expected....

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:37 PM
  • Thanks but I cant use "'Download all content locally before starting task sequence'." As I have multiple driver packages and don't want to download all of those on every client.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

From the picture you provided, I find the “Pre-download content for this task sequence.” on General tab is not selected. Please select it and see if it will be different.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/osd/deploy-use/configure-precache-content

Hope it can help.

Best regards.
    Crystal

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 7:55 AM
  • I think my issue is that packages are not cached. I created a small TS just to test the download step.

And missing files. Am I correct expecting files in c:\programdata\TEST\1909DriversIPU folder/

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 5:49 PM
  • Hi, 

For the task sequence you create, the download will occurs when the TS is running. For pre-cache, it will download when the client receive the policy. So please ensure “Pre-download content for this task sequence.” is selected to see if the result will be different.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards.

Crystal

Friday, January 31, 2020 9:16 AM
  • Hi,

How's everything going? Is there any update on our issue? If yes, feel free to let us know.

best regrds.

Crystal

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 7:00 AM