"We couldn't install Windows 8 Consumer Preview" after first start-up's BSOD

Question

• I performed an upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit using the Setup installer. Nothing hinted at any problems (I did have to uninstall MSE during the install).

After configuring the devices and a few restarts, I was at the "Preparing" phase with the cartoon fish logo. Then, BSOD: I didn't catch the error (only there for a 1/2 second), but I think it was about an unexpected handle, I think? Then it shutdown and restored my Windows 7 install.

Logs:

C:\Windows\setupact.log

C:\Windows\setuperr.log = empty

C:\Windows\Panther\setuperr.log = empty

C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther

I will try running the setup again...

~Ibrahim~

Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• I tried the installation from scratch again (re-downloaded; also uninstalled LogonStudio, Adobe Air, and MSE this time), same error. Unfortunately, the BSOD screen is very pixelated and short-lived.

Is there a way to determine what that error is? The file for the BSOD is something RxRxRx.sys (I can't read what the other x's are because of the pixelation); the error is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I checked Windows 7's Event Viewer, but no BSOD logs there. :(

~Ibrahim~

Saturday, March 03, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Test out the installation on a VM and see if you get the same results.  I just installed the x64 bit edition on Virtualbox.  Installed without any issues.  

How to Install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1270-install-windows-8-consumer-preview/

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Hi, Jorge! :D

Well, I did you one better. :D I installed it onto a 60GB VHD file I made; it's working perfectly! :)

~Ibrahim~

Sunday, March 04, 2012 1:42 AM
  • Very good to hear.  Take care...

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:43 AM