none
How to upgrade my Storage Pool after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10. RRS feed

• Question

• Help please,

I have a Storage Pool running under Windows 8.1 with 4 x4 TB & 2 x 6TB disks. It contains Mirrored and Parity spaces. I have read "After you upgrade to Windows 10, we recommend that you upgrade your existing pools". I have also read that you cannot do it for Parity Storage Spaces, but that was on an early release of Window 10.

I cannot find any documentation, (Typical Microsoft) on how you do this, especially what dangers or conditions might apply. There is no way for me to backup all of this data so I need reassurance that it will work before I will attempt it. Is there anyone who has done this and how did you get on?

There seem to be some genuinely useful improvements in Storage Space support in Windows 10 and it's the only thing in Windows 10 that I have come across so far that gives me any reason to move from 8.1 to 10. I however need some reassurance that it is safe before I do it.  

Dave

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Dave Mullard,

I didn`t know there is a command "Update-StoragePool ". A test will be more persuasive. Due to the limited working environment, it is not available for me to test this. I hope you could update this case if you have any troubleshooting experience.

As for the "Optimize-StoragePool" feature, it should work for "Parity" if you are using Windows 10.1607 version, too.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave Mullard,

As far as I know, the storage space could be used on another machine once it has been created. So it should still work well after we upgrading the system. To ensure the safety of the storage space, it is always recommended to backup the important data before we made modifications to the machine.

" "After you upgrade to Windows 10, we recommend that you upgrade your existing pools""
    I have found the similar information from the link below.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

According to my understanding, it suggests us to backup the data and re-create the storage space pool on Windows 10. According to knowledge, Windows 10 storage space adds a new feature "re-balance". It wasn`t included in previous system version. Here is a link for reference:
    Storage Spaces Optimize Pool (Applied to Windows 10)
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-spaces/storage-spaces-optimize-pool

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

Thanks for that.

Yes I have read the contents of your first link. That is where I read the "After you upgrade to Windows 10, we recommend that you upgrade your existing pools".

I was looking for some information on how you actually do upgrade a Storage Pool. All I have found so far is you use the Update-StoragePool command. I did actually come across this https://stebet.net/microsoft-finally-adds-rebalancing-to-storage-spaces/ but it warns "The rebalancing command only works on simple and mirrored spaces. It is currently not supported for parity spaces, although that functionality is being evaluated.". That however appears to apply to an early release of Windows 10 and maybe is no longer true.

Surely Microsoft has written something on the subject of upgrading and how to do it. Any thing on this subject seems to be for Windows Server 2016. Is it safe to assume that what applies to Windows Server 2016 is also true for Windows 10?

This https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn454980(v=wps.630).aspx says it applies to Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 which is odd. Maybe it has not ben updated for Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10. Am not clear what it's purpose is on Windows 8.1.

Regards,

Dave

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Hi Dave Mullard,

I didn`t know there is a command "Update-StoragePool ". A test will be more persuasive. Due to the limited working environment, it is not available for me to test this. I hope you could update this case if you have any troubleshooting experience.

As for the "Optimize-StoragePool" feature, it should work for "Parity" if you are using Windows 10.1607 version, too.

Best regards

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:32 AM