No file overwrite prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Either drag - or right-click|COPY a file to a folder where
    a file with the same name already exists and there is
    no "overwrite?" dialog - showing dates and sizes of the
    existing file and the one being copied.

The file is simply saved as a "copy" to the target folder,
    which necessitates extra deletion and renaming steps,
    and does not provide useful comparative information.

How can this behavior be reverted to the Vista style?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Borate

Default Drag and Drop in Windows 7.

In Windows 7 if you drag and drop a file from one folder to another folder, in the same location (for instance on the same hard drive) the file is moved, by default.

If you drag and drop a file from from one folder and drop it into another folder in a different location (for instance another hard drive, network location, or CD) the file will be copied by default.

Default Cut or Copy and Paste in Windows 7.

If you cut or copy a file, from any location, and then paste it to any other location, where a file with the same name exists, then you should see the popup with the 3 options to either Copy and Replace, Don't copy, or Copy but keep both files.

There has been a random bug reported where the Cut/Paste or Copy/Paste does not initiate the popup options window.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, February 8, 2009 11:06 AM

All replies

• No, copy behavior for the GUI cannot be changed. the Copy and Xcopy utilities have the "CopyCmd" environmental variable available for default changes. RoboCopy is another built in utility for that.

I would experiment with Ctrl-drag, and Shift-drag for some filetypes.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Thanks Mark,

This strikes me as a regression that should be rethought for the RTM.

What purpose does it serve to remove that drag/drop functionality?

I see though that COPY|PASTE (either via the EDIT menu or <ctrl-c/v>

uses the old behavior.  Extra unnecessary steps, IMO.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Our Forum has absolutely no problem with anyone expressing dissatisfaction with the beta. You may have few ways to input your opinion, so I wouyld recomend that if you do not have any other feedback channels that you wait for the 'Satisfaction Survey' that will sooner or later show up in your passport email account.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi Borate

Default Drag and Drop in Windows 7.

In Windows 7 if you drag and drop a file from one folder to another folder, in the same location (for instance on the same hard drive) the file is moved, by default.

If you drag and drop a file from from one folder and drop it into another folder in a different location (for instance another hard drive, network location, or CD) the file will be copied by default.

Default Cut or Copy and Paste in Windows 7.

If you cut or copy a file, from any location, and then paste it to any other location, where a file with the same name exists, then you should see the popup with the 3 options to either Copy and Replace, Don't copy, or Copy but keep both files.

There has been a random bug reported where the Cut/Paste or Copy/Paste does not initiate the popup options window.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, February 8, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Hey Ronnie,

I believe this 'bug' occurs only when dragging across from the main folder window to the file tree on the left hand side.

I have tried multiple times from my end, and It appears as though the dialogue box always opens when copying within the file tree, from 1 open folder to another, and from the file tree into a the main folder window, but whenever I move a file/folder (with the intention to merge folders/files), into to the file tree (including from other programs to the file tree, i.e. winrar), it does not prompt me for a replace/move/do not move option, but makes 'a - copy' of the file instead.

For everyone else reading this, I found it best to use 2 open windows, and drag from 1 to the other. The good thing with Windows 7 is the 'drag to the side of the screen' resize option that comes in extremely handy for this type of operation.

Regards,
    Shaun.
    • Edited by ShaunRules Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:28 AM grammar
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:27 AM
  • This would be a very nice feature or option for Windows, i would like, perhaps, to see this in a future service pack, that would be quite nice :) accessible as a checkbox (i was thinking) in the Tools->Folder Options...->View tab

I was just considering this feature myself, as i am currently writing a php script and simply copying the file from local hard disk folder to remote network folder, so each little change i make to the file and upload, i am asked these questions, which is decreasing productivity, efficiency and performance of my work load.

I am or will be, after completion of writing this very post... be installing PHP to run on top of Microsoft's Internet Information Services (accessible on Windows 7 by opening "Control Panel" and selecting "Programs and Features", when this dialog loads with all of your installed applications turn your focus to the 3 (three) options located on the very right of the window and select the "Turn Windows features on and off" link note : Administrator rights might need to be enforced to access this feature...) by following the hyperlink on http://www.microsoft.com/web/platform/phponwindows.aspx

This too i am afraid will require further time, reducing my performance for the overall outcome at the end of the day...

So a service pack update that would enable the above feature to be implemented, due to the described efficiency concerns detailed in this response, would be a pleasing topic to be able to boast about among friends and associates :)

Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:53 AM
  • And on a another concern, i will now also have to configure the local server to have the same PHP variables to be enabled or not... otherwise i will end up writing code that will run locally fine but could be problematic on the remote machine... :(

so with that... i am actually now.. going to revert the installing of PHP and deactivate ISS :(

• Edited by Psycho Merlin Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:06 AM the letter a in "And on a another "
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:05 AM