none
Windows Installer Module has stopped working...

Question

• I have been getting this error for about 2 weeks now and it is stopping me from downloading/installing any updates.  Every time I let the computer try to download the updates on its own, or whenever I try to install an update manually this message pops up and the download/install just stops wherever it is and gets no further.

I also seem to get a similar error about something called SuperFetch but I have no idea what that is or what it has to do with the installer module...

Please help???

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:47 PM

Answers

• I had an issue wherein SP 1.1 for .NET update wasn't downloading correctly.  So, I uninstalled the .NET framework and that problem went away... but I noticed some pretty non-stop disk activity every time I started after that.

I presumed it was McAfee or something at first.  I got curious as to what it could be, so I started shutting down apps and stopping services to see what it might've been that was causing it.

Then suddenly I crashed, and "My copy of Windows is not genuine" started showing up, and kicking me out.

I ran a restore and got back to the desktop, but started seeing that Windows Modules Installer has stopped responding" message.

I went into Services and first Started the service, then I set it to Automatic start... voila!  Problem went away.

Now- I don't know if the service is supposed to be only manual or not (I'm not an MSCE Stick out tongue ) but so far I have reset it a couple of times and the system seems to be functioning normally again.

Mebbe it's worth a shot for ya- thought I would at least share this.  G'luck!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:37 AM
  • I fixed that isue by replacing foulty ram memory and i went where i bought and it had more errors then good clusters so i got the new one now my pc is working nicely and for the NET framework I reinstalled it and it it udate it sefl the only isue is thati have to activate windows it keep giving mw 3 days left
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Hi All

I hope following combined procedure works for you.

Verify Windows Update Service Settings
    *Start>Run>services.msc  
    *Find the Automatic Updates service and double-click on it.
    *Click on the Log On Tab and make sure the "Local System Account" is selected as the logon account and the box for "allow service to interact with desktop" is UNCHECKED.
    *Under the Hardware Profile section in the Log On Tab, make sure the service is enabled.
    *On the General Tab, the Startup Type should be Automatic, if not, drop the box down and select Automatic.
    *Under "Service Status" on the General tab, the service should be Started, click the Start button enable it.
    *Repeat the steps above for the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)"
    Re-Register Windows Update DLLs
    *Click on Start, Run, and type CMD and click ok
    *In the black command window type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL and press Enter
    *Wait until you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message and click OK
    *Repeat the last two steps above for each of the following commands (I know you already did but please repeat again after above)
          REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
          REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
    *Some dlls may not exist in Vista so ignore error messages
    Remove Corrupted Windows Update Files
    *Start>Run>cmd>net stop WuAuServ  (If doesnt stop or doesnt recognize, stop Windows Update Services in services.msc)
    *Still at the command prompt,type cd %windir% and press Enter
    *In the opened folder,type the following command and press Enter to rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder
          ren SoftwareDistribution SD_OLD
    *Restart the Windows Update Service by typing the following at the command prompt
          net start WuAuServ
    *Type Exit and Press Enter to close the command prompt
    *Start>Run>regedit
    *Navigate HKLM/ Components , right-click this key and click export and take a backup of this key (you will be able to revert back to previous config by double-clicking this exported registry, in case of failure)
    *Delete the keys PendingXmIdentifier and AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving,
    *Apply the Resolution step of this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712
    *Make sure your user is in Administrators group!
    *Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall!
    *Disable UAC (Control Panel ->  User Accounts)
    *Restart your computer
    *Download Windows update agent (Save it dont run it) even if its already there on your computer
    x86:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

x64:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe

*Then go the folder you saved it, Right click and Run it as administrator.
    *After the install is complete, restart your computer.
    *You can now turn back UAC if you want and then restart your computer again

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1367041&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

Regards
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 7:22 PM

All replies

• Are you logged on to the machine as an Administrator?

If you have tried it as Administrator and still get the same error you might try:

Start > Run > cmd,

In the command prompt window type:

net user administrator /active:yes

HTH,

Tim

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Start > Run > cmd,

In the command prompt window type:

net user administrator /active:yes

The command completed successfully!

But the same problem! Sad
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:12 PM
  • I think the problem may just lie with the updates for Vista itself.  I decided to experiment and manually downloaded all the updates that Vista said I needed, then started installing them all manually too...

The first half-dozen went on without any problems, and I thought the maybe it had fixed itself as mysteriously as it had started, but the very next update caused the Windows Installer Module error again! Sad

When I checked on the installed updates, all the ones that had gone on properly were all actually to do with Office and when I checked the KB numbers of the remaining ones they were all Vista updates - therefore it seems that the problem just lies with the OS and not the updater program as such...

Although I am still no closer to a solution than when I started this Sad
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:44 PM
  • same problem here... :-(

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:55 PM
  • I am now also getting the same error after a fresh install of Vista Home Premium x64.  It finds the updates, and starts downloading them but stalls at 0% untill 5-10minutes later the windows installer moduled has stopped working error comes up.  Even after I close that it still tries to download with the bar constantly moving to show its active, but it never goes above 0% or 0KB downloaded.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks,

Michael

Sunday, September 02, 2007 11:33 PM
  • i also have this problem now.   someone must know how to fix it...
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:20 AM
  • I have had some small success with installing the updates manually now, but it is still a pain in the a$$!  And appears to be completely random too now - tried installing one update last week and it gave the error... tried again the next day and it installed with no problems!!  It's an error that just makes no sense!

I'm kinda glad that it's not just me having the problem, but then none of us should be getting it in the first place anyway!

I hope someone can work out a solution soon.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 9:18 AM
  •  

Same issue.  Windows Vista Enterprise x86, fresh install with Office 2003.  First time I've seen this happen, and it seems that I can install them 1 at a time, and reboot, then another, but with 32 updates to date, and PGP envryption, that's a lot of passwords and waiting that I don't like to do.

On a side note, I don't know why Microsoft had to go back in time and bring back the problems that Windows 95 had...

Friday, September 07, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Me too. Had this problem for over 2 weeks now. Tried reinstalling Vista onto a formatted drive thinking something was wrong with the contents of the drive. Tried a standalone installer and still got the same results. After searching a few different forums it seems a very common problem and it must be a system issue although Microsoft dont seem to be addressing it.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 1:07 PM
  • my superfetch is not working to....it started just after i installed some updates and norton internet security 2007....cant tell if the norton or the updates of vista is causing the problem.....its a new issue...and problem is my internet disconnects everyhing the fukn superfetch pops up......
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Microsoft is obviously very active on trying to fix this problem /sarcasim. Seriously, where is the support for this issue, i've had it for about 4 days now, and I just bought 2 copies of vista ultimate for my laptop and desktop machines. Both have the installer problem. Did I just blow a grand on nothing?

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:23 AM
  • I've run this command "net user administrator /active:yes" , and still can't fix the problem.

I looked for downloading windows intaller 4.5 thinking it may fix the problem. But no chance.

Any direct link for downloading windows installer 4.5 ?

I continue searching and expecting Microsoft find permanent issue abt this problem as soon as possible.

He has to....

Thanks.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:52 PM
  • The only thing that worked for me was to wipe out the whole hard drive and do a clean install.  Now I don't let my computer do automatic updating and I check every update first for problems.  My problem was caused by one of the updates that was automatically installed, way back in June.  I tried just reinstalling my copy of Windows Vista Premium, but the problem became worse because I had no drivers installed now on my computer.  So nothing I plugged in worked properly, and of course I couldn't get any windows updates because the F***ing computer kept saying "Windows Installer Module has stopped working and was closed."  In conclusion I did how ever update my BIOS in the process so at least I did something new to my computer.  

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:42 PM
  • I would agree that it has to do with the OS, I look up every update now for bugs.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:45 PM
  • i got my vista goin with any error after i left 1 gig of ddr2 or ram on it and took the 512ddr2 off after i reinstall windows activated by phone it took all 42 update like nothing then i install everything like xp with no errors then i tested the ram the 512ddr2 windows dfender stopped working sideba stopped working i took it off again is now good to go

Monday, October 22, 2007 6:19 AM
  • I had an issue wherein SP 1.1 for .NET update wasn't downloading correctly.  So, I uninstalled the .NET framework and that problem went away... but I noticed some pretty non-stop disk activity every time I started after that.

I presumed it was McAfee or something at first.  I got curious as to what it could be, so I started shutting down apps and stopping services to see what it might've been that was causing it.

Then suddenly I crashed, and "My copy of Windows is not genuine" started showing up, and kicking me out.

I ran a restore and got back to the desktop, but started seeing that Windows Modules Installer has stopped responding" message.

I went into Services and first Started the service, then I set it to Automatic start... voila!  Problem went away.

Now- I don't know if the service is supposed to be only manual or not (I'm not an MSCE Stick out tongue ) but so far I have reset it a couple of times and the system seems to be functioning normally again.

Mebbe it's worth a shot for ya- thought I would at least share this.  G'luck!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:37 AM
  • I fixed that isue by replacing foulty ram memory and i went where i bought and it had more errors then good clusters so i got the new one now my pc is working nicely and for the NET framework I reinstalled it and it it udate it sefl the only isue is thati have to activate windows it keep giving mw 3 days left
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:39 AM
  • A HP technician told me to go to cmd or maybe it was run and type something in (i forgot) and then a folder comes up and you delete the files in it and everything works fine.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 3:51 AM
  • Make sure the "Windows installer" service is not disabled.

Log on as an Administrator -

Start > Run > Key in "services.msc"

(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)

Right-click the "Windows Installer" service, and select Properties.

Select General tab - make sure that Startup type is Manual.
    You may have to restart the service.

Regards

Syed

Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:51 AM
  • Hi All

I hope following combined procedure works for you.

Verify Windows Update Service Settings
    *Start>Run>services.msc  
    *Find the Automatic Updates service and double-click on it.
    *Click on the Log On Tab and make sure the "Local System Account" is selected as the logon account and the box for "allow service to interact with desktop" is UNCHECKED.
    *Under the Hardware Profile section in the Log On Tab, make sure the service is enabled.
    *On the General Tab, the Startup Type should be Automatic, if not, drop the box down and select Automatic.
    *Under "Service Status" on the General tab, the service should be Started, click the Start button enable it.
    *Repeat the steps above for the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)"
    Re-Register Windows Update DLLs
    *Click on Start, Run, and type CMD and click ok
    *In the black command window type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL and press Enter
    *Wait until you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message and click OK
    *Repeat the last two steps above for each of the following commands (I know you already did but please repeat again after above)
          REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
          REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
    *Some dlls may not exist in Vista so ignore error messages
    Remove Corrupted Windows Update Files
    *Start>Run>cmd>net stop WuAuServ  (If doesnt stop or doesnt recognize, stop Windows Update Services in services.msc)
    *Still at the command prompt,type cd %windir% and press Enter
    *In the opened folder,type the following command and press Enter to rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder
          ren SoftwareDistribution SD_OLD
    *Restart the Windows Update Service by typing the following at the command prompt
          net start WuAuServ
    *Type Exit and Press Enter to close the command prompt
    *Start>Run>regedit
    *Navigate HKLM/ Components , right-click this key and click export and take a backup of this key (you will be able to revert back to previous config by double-clicking this exported registry, in case of failure)
    *Delete the keys PendingXmIdentifier and AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving,
    *Apply the Resolution step of this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712
    *Make sure your user is in Administrators group!
    *Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall!
    *Disable UAC (Control Panel ->  User Accounts)
    *Restart your computer
    *Download Windows update agent (Save it dont run it) even if its already there on your computer
    x86:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

x64:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe

*Then go the folder you saved it, Right click and Run it as administrator.
    *After the install is complete, restart your computer.
    *You can now turn back UAC if you want and then restart your computer again

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1367041&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

Regards
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Do you happen to know which update in June was the culprit?  Perhaps if we removed that one we could get the other updates to frickin' work.  I too have had this issue for about two weeks now and am getting pretty frustrated...enough so that I'm about to trade this POS in for a MacBook.  I know I'll be happier but half my business apps aren't written for Mac...yet.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:38 PM
  • same problem here on my gf's new computer. any solutions in the year or so people have been having this problem?

Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:17 PM
  • No matter whatever information to correct error 1719 WINDOW INSTALLER including downloading 4.5 resetting properties does not work!!! Can't download ANY PROGRAMS/SOFTWARE nor delelte any existing programs on the computer through CONTROL uninstall. Help!!! Thnxs.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:33 PM
  • I've had this same problem. It first popped up while trying to install Service Pack 1 (still unsuccessful, I might add). It royally screwed up my Norton Internet Security suite I had installed. I ended up having to reinstall Norton, which fixed Norton but didn't fix the problem. So I tried uninstalling Norton, running the updates and reinstalled Norton. That worked, but I'm still not able to install SP1, even with the NIS uninstalled.

Now for the above fix, I don't blame Norton. You can't blame the Software companies for Microsoft breaks. I did, however, learn later that I needed to uninstall NIS or any other third party security software before installing SP1. Seems the boys in Redmond have proved, once again, that you don't have to be stupid to be an idiot.

Now, I've tried everything but setting the Windows Module Installer to automatic when trying to install SP1. I'm wondering if there's a way I can reinstall that service, as I think it's faulty or has some problems created by the failed SP1 installs. So I'm going to try that and see if it doesn't fix it. Once I install (wishful thinking) I'm going to set that service back to Manual since it's not failing on anything but SP1.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes...

Nope, still no luck...
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:28 PM
  • Okay, I have had this same problem forever and thank you whoever mentioned JUNE...

Well this seems to be working for the moment....I have been trying to install VB Express and same thing windows modules blah blah blah, so leave the installation frozen, go to start , type services, windows modules blah blah bla, change to manual, go to windows update, show installed updates, remove one by one, updates from sept 11th and from all of june, do not restart , instead click restart later each time, whatever you are working on will magically start to install again ....I am in the middle of doing this so cannot tell you if the problem will reappear but at least it is a work around in the moment. Hope it helps Good Luck! Oh and make sure security software is off ...anti virus etc.........
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:17 PM
  • after some try, I have solve this by myself, simply open services.msc, go to Windows Modules Installer, double-click, change to Log on tab, select Local System account. OK
    Hope this will help you. May I work for you too.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:25 AM
  •  

Hello all,

It appears that I am not the only who has this problem, its very obivious, and it also seems as though a majority of us had this problem start around june, mine actually begun around April 17, 2008; that was when I started getting error messages of "installer module stopped working and was closed". Not only have I gotten that but some updates were succesful to download and all I have to do is restart the computer, however when I restart, I get a message saying "Windows did not succesfully startup" or something like that, and the windows startup repair runs to repair what ever caused it not to startup correctly. It obviously had something to do with the updates.

The first faulty updates I had were KB943078(Security), KB941649, KB943899, KB941693(Security) and KB936181. Then more updates failed to install. I was instructed to install the windows Anytime upgrade, I had the disk for that, I popped it in put in the product key and about half way throught the installation I get that dredded message again "installer module has stopped working and was closed". So this problem of ours has been going on for 8 months and during that time I've requested over and over for Tech support over email. All my cases were closed, and of course my problem still not resolved, all were getting are simple solutions that do not work, obvioulsy because the problem still exist. I know my problem is not simply just a "oh I forgot to enable my update service" or " dang I forgot to manually start the installer module service", no its not that simple its a more complexed problem than that.

Not to long ago I've been getting more error messages such as "superfetch has stopped working and was closed" after I was uploading some videos and pictures, what gives "superfetch" thats a crital service, why did that stop working? It needs an update perhaps, "I can't get an update to succesfully install and work for me, why?"

What is to be done about this escolating problem, I and everyone else that posted here needs the absolute solution, please.

Friday, November 28, 2008 5:16 PM

• PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Guys,

I just installed Ultimate x64 and after installing lots of software within two hours window, I kept getting this annoying message. I tried a few things, but nothing helped.

Finally, I went in to Services ( control panel -> admin tools -> services ) and Stopped and Disabled Error Reporting Service and what do you know... .Problem Solved Smile

Try this guys.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:12 AM
  • I have been experiencing this issue for about 4 weeks now.  It installs some updates and other it does not.  I am not able to install files using the .msi extension either.  I also checked and am not able to remove programs from the 'programs' option in 'control panel'.

My machine has a factory installed version of Vista x86 and is robust enough to handle most anything, with plenty of empty drive space.

HELP!
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:19 PM
  • I finally got fed up with VISTA and all the errors and tried to go back to XP.  Problem is the laptop is "designed" for Vista and now it is just an expensive paperweight.  I can't even get the required drivers from the HW manufacturer.  My only action now is to do a complete Vista reinstall.

The answer I received from Microsoft when I called (yes they charged me) regarding this issue (Installer Module not working) was to either perform a recovery (from the cd's prior to the error occuring) or upgrade to a higher/more advanced version of Vista.  Neither option was guaranteed to fix the issue.  And those are their words!!!

Time for a Mac!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Windows Vista Ultimate 64 also has the problem.

Disabling the Windows Error Reporting Service doesn't work.

Stopping and/or Restarting the Windows Installer and Windows Module Installer services does not work either.

This is a pretty new clean install.

MS needs to give away Windows 7 to VISTA users (when it comes out), for all the aggravation that they have suffered and they had better be pretty confident that they have ironed out all the bugs too.

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Microsofts fixes for the windows installer stopping (or not being assessible for the installation) has NOTHING to do with the problem.

THE PROBLEM is that some of the security updates that they send out are improperly written and are in fact making windows installer view legitimate installations as secutity threats. Hence if you get windows installer running (start --run--services.msc-scroll to Windows Installer- and enable run in the upper lect hand corner of the screen) you will find it stopped after the failed installation. 

THE SOLUTION is to delete all of the security updates after the last known installation and you programs will install just fine.

I cannot tell you how many hours I lost with the "tech" people at Microsoft (who really couldn't care less despite the big money going for salaries)) and the amount of money I lost because I couldn't install programs that I needed to have for the job.

I am shocked that this is such a long standing problem (with countless numbers of people unable to install programs because the Windows Installer could not be accessed and that even at this late date they are still as clueless and unconcerned as they could be. 

Now that the work has been done for them, how about some compensation. At the VERY kease a free version of Windows 7 I would think. Microsoft is just too big and has too much of monopoly. Yesterday I went down to the Apple Store (Very helpful and friendly) and, after 20 years,  am seriously thinking of swtiching 
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:46 PM
  • After reading many replies, i tried one and it worked!

search for services, and then find windows error reporting services. once found, double click and change to disabled.

the problem still persisted so i temporarily paused it (on the left hand side) and finally my blackberry desktop manager downloaded!

hope it helps :)

Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:52 PM
  • I have the same problem, I have tried everything I still cant install anything. I tried to reinstall windows Installer 4 but it runs and right when its about to finish it says there was an error. My computer has been useless to me I have wasted over two week trying to fix this and I just bought it about a month ago. There is no fix when you cant install or upgrade tried to restore and went on for 4 hours then stoped with some error relating to Windows installer. I cant even get to my files they have started randomly moving from folder to folder after every attempt at an install. I cant change anything in the registry it wont save the settings SP1 totally screwed me Tried to return this comp but the warranty doesnt cover software. any one figure anything else out?
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Tried this 3 times I cant install windows update wont let me make changes to reg even as an admin any thing else I tried to do a factory restore but tells me files are older than current installation.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:40 AM
  • dude its not the memory Its software I tried running a factory reset and it wont even try tells me Its an older version than the current one

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried performing a Clean Boot?

Make sure that windows installer is running on the services.

Do system file checker on an elevated mode of command prompt.

After performing a clean boot follow the steps on the link : http://<cite>support.microsoft.com/kb/971058</cite>

<cite></cite>You can then do the command msiexec /unregister then hit Enter and after the command msiexec /regserver. After doing both commands, restart computer then try to perform windows update.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:48 PM