none
Virtual PC freezes when accessed with Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a virtual PC with Hyper-V and use Remote Desktop to access it.

The Hyper-V host is running Server 2012 R2, and the virtual PC is running Windows 10 Enterprise.

Recently I have a problem where the PC will freeze when logging in and have to hard reset the virtual PC.

Using the Hyper-V remote access manager seems to work OK though.

I find I can access the virtual PC with RPD once, but then freezes the PC if I access a second time.

I haven't been able to find any specific errors or causes. In the event viewer, I can only find errors which are due to the hard reset, but nothing leading up to it.

Tried a few guesses with resetting user profile, network devices, but still have this issue.

I know this is being a bit general, but I am hoping someone may have some suggestions on what I could do to diagnose further for this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

On Windows 10, try to run System File Checker scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

If issue still persists, perform clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Let us know if this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Sunday, September 8, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Have you do any changed for your HOST and VM? such as install update.

A few days ago, I met a post similar to your question. I hope it will be helpful to you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/731b5ca2-7df1-4ab9-b1bb-168763a19535/cant-connect-to-hyperv-vm-more-than-once?forum=win10itprovirt

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 6:13 AM
  • Thanks for the post.

I had already been trying other things, including suggestions by Kapil.

Because I have already cleared all the Windows Update data, it doesn't appear I am unable to perform the suggestions to remove the update from my system, as I can't seem to find an option to uninstall them.

Wish I had seen that one sooner.

Monday, September 9, 2019 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

I hope others in this forum can offer more suggestions.

In the meanwhile, i will continue to research this post, i will come back as soon as i have any progress.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:57 AM
  • Hi.
    Upon further testing, I have now found that if I delete the saved username and password for the remote Virtual PC, then this problem does not seem to occur.
    I deleted the saved credentials using Windows Credential Manager UI.
    I tested multiple re-logons from 2 PCs, one from remote network, and one on the local one.
    I then tried to re-save the credentials, and I thought it was all working, but Virtual PC froze, I think, when I switched from access local to remote network PC, without logging off desktop on Virtual PC.
    I believe this same problem has been happening at another implementation, and advising them to use manual logon seems to be working for the moment.
    Just to note, the Hyper-V systems I am referring to are not part of a Domain, but are setup in a Workgroup environment.
    I was surprised this is working just not saving the passwords.
    Hoping someone may see some further clues in this information, and have some further ideas.
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 11:17 PM