none
Resolving Suspect tapes RRS feed

  • Question

  • We've been backing up to tape with a PowerVault 124T tape library.  I enabled barcode reading on the device which properly indicated the barcode labels in DPM. However, the tapes had expired data on them. Now the tapes are listed as suspect.  The only option allowed in the console is "Identify Unknown tape"  When that is activated, the DPM shoots out an alert such as the following:

    Tape Library : Dell (tm) PowerVault (tm) 124T Autoloader

    Tape: Database Backups nas02 E:\-00000020

    Description: Detailed tape inventory failed Failed to perform the operation since the tape Database Backups nas02 E:\-00000020 is not available in Tape Library Dell (tm) PowerVault (tm) 124T Autoloader

     

    It doesn't offer any other option.  After disabling barcode reading, the behavior is the same.  So how can I erase the tapes and mark them as free?

     


    The Computer Shogun
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:04 PM

Answers

  • I found the steps to handle this shortly after I posted the question.  The DPM operations guide, p 16-17, gives the steps on handling the different suspect tape scenarios.  The steps were to remove the suspect tapes and run a "ResolveSuspectMedia.cmd" script which is just an OSQL command:

    osql -E -S localhost\MS$DPM2007$ -d DPMDB -Q "UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect =  0"

    I performed an inventory between the steps since all of the tapes were removed from the library. Thus DPM would need to know that there were no tapes present.  After replacing the tapes back to the library, I had a fit getting the DPM to perform a detailed inventory.  It would give the same alert as listed above but it also listed the library to be empty. Eventually, I tried performing a fast inventory (although the bar code reader was disabled.)  This worked in telling DPM that the library was populated.  Then a detailed inventory recognized the tapes as imported.  So the procedure fixed the problem with some additional headaches.


    The Computer Shogun
    • Marked as answer by jaxdagger Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:55 PM

All replies

  • hello, i resolved suspect tape by formating tape in brut force. Search on "Control P " DPM blog site,  the powerhell script to help you to do that.

    I find no way.

     


    Spice IT
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:50 PM
  • I found the steps to handle this shortly after I posted the question.  The DPM operations guide, p 16-17, gives the steps on handling the different suspect tape scenarios.  The steps were to remove the suspect tapes and run a "ResolveSuspectMedia.cmd" script which is just an OSQL command:

    osql -E -S localhost\MS$DPM2007$ -d DPMDB -Q "UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect =  0"

    I performed an inventory between the steps since all of the tapes were removed from the library. Thus DPM would need to know that there were no tapes present.  After replacing the tapes back to the library, I had a fit getting the DPM to perform a detailed inventory.  It would give the same alert as listed above but it also listed the library to be empty. Eventually, I tried performing a fast inventory (although the bar code reader was disabled.)  This worked in telling DPM that the library was populated.  Then a detailed inventory recognized the tapes as imported.  So the procedure fixed the problem with some additional headaches.


    The Computer Shogun
    • Marked as answer by jaxdagger Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Step by step, this is how I fixed mine...
    Shutdown your DPM software
    Dump all your tapes out of your library
    Run
    osql -E -S localhost\MSDPM2010 -d DPMDB -Q "UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect = 0"
    as a script
    By pasting it into a text file and changing the extension to .cmd
    Run the script on your DPM server
    Start DPM 2010 and do a "rescan" under the Library Tab.
    That's it.  Ed.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I found the steps to handle this shortly after I posted the question.  The DPM operations guide, p 16-17, gives the steps on handling the different suspect tape scenarios.  The steps were to remove the suspect tapes and run a "ResolveSuspectMedia.cmd" script which is just an OSQL command:

    osql -E -S localhost\MS$DPM2007$ -d DPMDB -Q "UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect =  0"

    I performed an inventory between the steps since all of the tapes were removed from the library. Thus DPM would need to know that there were no tapes present.  After replacing the tapes back to the library, I had a fit getting the DPM to perform a detailed inventory.  It would give the same alert as listed above but it also listed the library to be empty. Eventually, I tried performing a fast inventory (although the bar code reader was disabled.)  This worked in telling DPM that the library was populated.  Then a detailed inventory recognized the tapes as imported.  So the procedure fixed the problem with some additional headaches.


    The Computer Shogun

    I know this is an old post, but I always find myself coming back here every couple years.  To do this in SSMS on the DPM server, I use the following SQL script to query first:

    USE DPMDB_SERVERNAME; SELECT * from tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia WHERE IsSuspect=1

    I then compare the results to what I see in the DPM GUI.  Then I run the following to resolve the suspect tapes:

    USE DPMDB_SERVERNAME; UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect=0 WHERE IsSuspect=1

    Back in the DPM GUI, do an Inventory > Fast Inventory to see the Tape Labels update from Suspect.   I then do my usual (Quick) Erase on each.  No need to unload the tapes from the tape library.

    This works fine with DPM 1807 and I hope this helps anybody that comes across this again.



    • Edited by Tech FA Friday, September 6, 2019 3:03 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 3:01 PM