none
Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog - Unknown Error (0xc1420127)

Question

• I am running Windows 7 x64 and have downloaded and installed the Windows AIK for Windows 7/Windows 2008 R2 (release version).  I have copy all the contents of the Windows 7 x64 Enterprise DVD to a folder called C:\Win7x64.  When I open the image in Windows SIM and go to Tools, Create Catalog file, the process starts (more specifically, it indicates "Mounting Windows Image: C:\Win7x64\sources\install.wim. This might take a few minutes.") and then I get the following message:

Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog.  For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference' in the WIndows OPK or Windows AIK User's Guide.  Detail: Unknown error (0xc1420127).  Click here to open the log file (which is included below).

I have completely uninstalled the Windows AIK (final release version) and the MDT 2010 and reinstalled just Windows AIK again.  I have also added the following paths to PATH: C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\Image Manager\;C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\Servicing\;C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\; just to be safe.  Checking previous threads, I also see wimgapi.dll in C:\Windows\System32.  Initially, I was trying to mount the install.wim and update with Windows Updates and then unmount and create the new catalog file.  When this failed, I just removed everything and attempted with all new files straight from the DVD and without doing anything to install.wim, just going to Tools, Create Catalog File and I still get the same error.

Nothing in the previous posts indicates any solution and this is driving me nuts.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

9:07 AM :
    9:07 AM : Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference' in the Windows OPK or Windows AIK User's Guide.
    9:07 AM :
    9:07 AM : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Unknown error (0xc1420127)

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PreCreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.CatalogCreatorImpl.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.ICatalogCreator.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.CatalogGenerator.CreateCat(ProgressDialog pd, Object o)

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 3:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, this error might be happen if you use an outdated Windows AIK. Please make sure that you download the latest version of Windows AIK. As a work around, please not select the install.wim to generate the catalog, try directly selecting .clg file which is included in your original DVD.

Best Regards

Dale

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:28 AM
  • Dale, as indicated, I downloaded the release version of the AIK from the download site.  It is dated 8/6/2009 and is the Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7.  It is a non-beta version.  I also did a complete uninstall and reinstall of this download. 

I am using everything that is included in the DVD.  Using the clg file that is in the sources folder that comes natively with the DVD works fine.  If I try to create a new one (even without making any changes to install.wim), I get the message right away.

I am not using any other language packs at all, just English. 

From what I can see and indicated above, it can't mount the install.wim when it is trying to create the new catalog file and this is where it is failing.

Any other suggestions?

If I want to load updates/driver paths into my install.wim and get it up to date, this is preventing me from doing so.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Hi Fritzy05,

Please check the permission on the install.wim file, and take ownership of it. Then re-load it to generate new catalog.

1)    Right click on install.wim.

2)    Click Properties and click Security.

3)    Click Edit and click Add.

4)    Type your current username and click OK.

5)    Allow Full control and click OK.

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Monday, June 07, 2010 1:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Fritzy05 Monday, June 07, 2010 11:25 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:14 AM
  • Dale,

This didn't work either.  I can open/mount the install.wim file using the DISM commands but when Windows Systems Image Manager is trying to open it to create the catalog, it errors out.  As I have indicated, I am just going to Tools, Create Catalog File and as soon as it tries to mount the image internally to Windows System Image Manager, I get the error and it fails.  I have full access to the machine and UAC is disabled. 

As soon as I follow the steps outlined above, it fails.  It is a x64 wim file on x64 Windows 7.

I think the error occurs because its internal mounting mechanism is failing.

Thanks

Monday, June 07, 2010 11:30 AM
  • Please read the following similar issue:

SIM Unknown error 0xc1420127

Windows 7 AIK Catalog generation fails

Best Regards

Dale

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:42 AM
  • SIM catalog creation worked with AIK running on Win XP x32 reference computer.  Catalog creation failed running AIK from Win 7.

Known issues for SIM cross architecture:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349350(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_Introduction

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:48 AM
  • I understand the cross catalog issues.  I was running Windows AIK on Windows 7 x64 and trying to work with the Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Install media.  Please see my original description above.

I have since moved back to a 32-bit platform since this is the direction the company I work for is going with.  The Create New Catalog file option on SIM on x86  Windows 7 works with no problems.  Looks like it is a bug on x64.

Thanks

Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Maybe for your purposes "dism /cleanup-wim" is usefull.

I am using this command and it work fine

• Proposed as answer by YPae Monday, October 31, 2011 4:48 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:01 AM
  • It fixed my problem. Thanks!
    YPae
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Maybe for your purposes "dism /cleanup-wim" is usefull.

I am using this command and it work fine

Thanks Felix, this fix worked for me too!!!
    Monday, August 20, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I have similar problems, but my system (with Windows 7 SP1 AIK) says:

"No help topic could be found for the cleanup-wim option."

when I try "DISM /cleanup-wim /?"

If I just try "DISM /cleanup-wim /image:install.wim" from the directory where install.wim is located, I get:

"Error: 267

Unable to access the image."

any hints?

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Had the same problem. Running Win 7 Enterprize 64 bit. Did a windows update & ran WAIK in XP Mode. Works Flawless now.

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

I had such problem ,too

My solution.

I export win 7 64 bit Enterprise with windows deployment service to TEST_Image folder. After that I choose this new wim file, catalog file generated.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:42 AM
  • I have similar problems, but my system (with Windows 7 SP1 AIK) says:

"No help topic could be found for the cleanup-wim option."

when I try "DISM /cleanup-wim /?"

If I just try "DISM /cleanup-wim /image:install.wim" from the directory where install.wim is located, I get:

"Error: 267

Unable to access the image."

any hints?

I believe you may be trying this using the standard Command Prompt. Try going to the Microsoft Windows AIK folder > Deployment Tools Command Prompt. You should be able to run the DISM commands with this tool.

And here is another source for you about this:

http://www.msigeek.com/2635/unmount-and-clean-up-a-wim-image-using-deployment-image-servicing-and-management-dism

Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44 PM
  • I had this problem.  I either received the unknown error, or an error saying the file was already in use.

When I copied the .wim file to another location it worked fine.  So, I went back to the original and tried to mount it with imagex.  Imagex warned me that it was already mounted in my appdata\temp folder.  For some reason the .wim had been mounted and left open.  So I issued the imagex /unmount command and released the .wim file.  I was then able to work with it freely again.

To clarify, I ran the following commands:

imagex /mount <imagename.wim> <image #> <mount location>

i.e. imagex /mount install.wim 0 D:\mounted

I received an error the file was already mounted:

[ WARN ] The image you are mounting has already been mounted at C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_Vista64Home_Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit_jy1be2tt.pwm.  You should not commit both images.

So, I copied and pasted that path into the following command:

imagex /unmount <mounted path>

i.e. imagex /unmount "C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_Vista64Home_Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit_jy1be2tt.pwm"

The command ran successfully and unmounted and cleaned up the image.  I had no problems working with the image after this.

Note: You probably want to enclose your paths in quotes if they contain spaces. 

• Edited by Appleoddity Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:08 PM
  • Tried several solutions on several pages, none worked except for this one. This one worked perfectly and quick. I thank you for this solution! 
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:22 AM
  • i have this problem on win 7,,, i have a windows deplyoment kit on win 7 pro 64Bit and am traying to add 8.1 install.wim
    Friday, August 26, 2016 2:15 PM
  • This fixed it for me too. WIM was already mounted from previous work. 
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:59 PM