none
Scanner for Windows 7 64 bit

Question

• Can anybody tell me if they definitely know a scanner that works on Windows 7 64 bit.

I cannot find any.

I have a Canoscan 8000F which I am now selling on ebay simply because Canon have said that they will not produce a driver that will work on Windows 7 64 bit. I have tried Vista 64 bit driver but that doesnt work.

Surely many other people must have this problem and have found a solution by now.

Can anyone help
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:48 AM

Answers

• You can find the Windows 7 compatible scanner on the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Printers%20%26%20Scanners&subcategory=Scanners&os=64-bit&v=HP

Once you decide, before purchasing, go to the manufacturer’s website and make sure the 64-bit Windows 7 driver is available for download.

In addition, you can try to install the printer driver as below:

Install built-in driver
    ==========================
    1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.
    2. Find out your scanner.
    3. Right click on it and click Update Driver Software…
    4. Select the " Browse my computer for driver software".
    5. Check "Include subfolder" box, and click Browse…
    6. Browse to C:\windows folder, and click OK.
    7. Click Next.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:24 AM
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:49 AM

All replies

• I am surprised to hear that.  I have found Windows 7 64 bit to be GREAT with all devices i and my family and friends use.  I use a Brother MFC printer and scanner all in one.  Brother is always great about drivers and makes all efforts to make drivers for everything right down to Linux based drivers.  If you want to be 100% sure find one you like but before you buy it  go the the manufactures website and check to see if they have the driver listed for that device available for download.

Good luck with it.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Thanks, I dont want a scanner/printer I just want a good quality scanner that definitely works with Windows 7 64 bit.

When I ran the Windows 7 compatibility program to check out my hardware it indicated that Canoscan 8000F would be ok but directed me to the Canon driver down load site, there was no driver there for Windows 7 64 bit. Canon have since stated that they will not be supporting it, I am therefore very reluctant to buy any more Canon equipment.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:51 PM
  • I am using an Epson Perfection V500 Photo with Windows 7 64-bit.  The Epson driver and utility give me all the same funtionality I had with XP Pro 32-bit.
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Monday, January 25, 2010 1:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Epson V100 here (cheapish). They have TWAIN drivers that work fine on Win7 X64. However, I need to use the 32 bit version of Photoshop CS4 to use them; the 64 bit version cannot.

It's not unusual for manufacturers to stop producing new drivers for old hardware. I have an Epson Perfection 610 that I haven't used for a while - no Vista drivers, even 32 bit ones.

I admit that the lack of X64 drivers for the Canoscan 8000F is disappointing. It doesn't look like it can be all that old.

Have you tried the drivers for the 8800F? It has drivers for Win7 X64. I suppose that Canon support would have steered you to them if they would have worked, but it may be worth a try.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:43 PM
  • I'm using the CanoScan 8400F without problem in Ultimate X64. I found the drivers for it on a site from Europe. Sorry, don't remember exactly where, but I kept the downloaded driver in my backup files in case I ever need it again.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Yes Canon offer a download for the 8400F for Windows 7 64 bit , but not for the 8000F, witness the large number of 8000F appearing on ebay
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:42 AM
  • hi barry,
    Your post piqued my interest as I have been considering the purchaseof a photo/negative scanner. After some research, it doesn't appear that any manufacturer has logo'd a product Certified for Win 7 64-bit yet. (Win 7 logo link here) All compatible only.The logo list is a pain because it's mixed with printers.

Then it seems that only Canon and(Seiko) Epson products receive good feedback from users. As Rick Dee posted, Epson definitely lists 64-bit drivers for the V500, where Canon is somewhat vague for the 8800F drivers. HP has a 64-bit Win 7 product with low user feedback.

Rick, bobkn and Old Hobo can attest that the scanner incompatibility (32 and 64 bit) was a common issue during the beta and RC phases of Win 7. Your choices are limited as you have discovered. Take the advice of their posts. 

Good luck!
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:00 PM
  •  I am therefore very reluctant to buy any more Canon equipment.

The same here with a Canoscan LiDE 500F

MS says it is compatible with Windows 7 (32 bits in my case).
    Canon also says it is compatible and a driver is available.

But it doesn't work well with Windows 7 because it does not comply with WIA.

No more CANON for me either !!
    Regards Picsoe
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:57 PM
  • I am using an HP 4670 Vertical scanner and it works fine with Windows 7 x64 however the full fuction HP software is not compatible.

If I want to use the full function software, I use it in XP mode.

However the scanner works with the basic Windows included software.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Can anybody tell me if they definitely know a scanner that works on Windows 7 64 bit.

I cannot find any.

I have a Canoscan 8000F which I am now selling on ebay simply because Canon have said that they will not produce a driver that will work on Windows 7 64 bit. I have tried Vista 64 bit driver but that doesnt work.

Surely many other people must have this problem and have found a solution by now.

Can anyone help

I have a HP flatbed scanner and it works fine. Drivers seem to be built-in. I do not use it much unless I need to scan some hard copy pics etc.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Try vuescan with the scanner you have. I have a cheapie scanned (canon lide20) that I have had for ages. No drivers for win 7 and I needed to scan something, so I googled and found vuescan. Downloaded the trial and tried it and it works a treat. Better than the crappy canon software too, so I lashed out and spend the USD40 for it.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:35 AM
  • You can find the Windows 7 compatible scanner on the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Printers%20%26%20Scanners&subcategory=Scanners&os=64-bit&v=HP

Once you decide, before purchasing, go to the manufacturer’s website and make sure the 64-bit Windows 7 driver is available for download.

In addition, you can try to install the printer driver as below:

Install built-in driver
    ==========================
    1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.
    2. Find out your scanner.
    3. Right click on it and click Update Driver Software…
    4. Select the " Browse my computer for driver software".
    5. Check "Include subfolder" box, and click Browse…
    6. Browse to C:\windows folder, and click OK.
    7. Click Next.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:24 AM
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:49 AM
  • My HP 3570C is not very recent and works fine. Its a standard flatbed with a slid adapter on top.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:43 PM
  • My HP 3570C is not very recent and works fine. Its a standard flatbed with a slid adapter on top.

Hi Vegan Fanatic,
    I have a HP scanjet 3570c and am trying to install it I have windows 7. I am not very computer smart so simple instructions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 2:56 PM
  • exchefspd wrote:

Hi Vegan Fanatic,
    I have a HP scanjet 3570c and am trying to install it I have windows 7. I am not very computer smart so simple instructions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.
    It is not acceptable to hijack someone elses thread.  If you want your question addressed properly start your own thread!

According to HP @ http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=74771& there are no Windows 7 drivers for your scanner.

You can try the Vist drivers, but if they don't work you will need to contact HP Support. 
    Monday, February 08, 2010 3:13 PM
  • exchefspd wrote:

Hi Vegan Fanatic,
    It is not acceptable to hijack someone elses thread.  If you want your question addressed properly start your own thread!

According to HP @ http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=74771& there are no Windows 7 drivers for your scanner.

You can try the Vist drivers, but if they don't work you will need to contact HP Support. 
    I had a question about a scanner that Vegan Fanatic had listed did not realize that is was not acceptable. Sorry
    Monday, February 08, 2010 4:19 PM
  • The problem with The Canon Scanners is the software. After a recent atercation with them and Harvey Norman after purchasing a Canon 5600f, it seems that Canon is very aware that their software is uncompatable  but stated that they will do nothing about it until their new models next year. It seems to me that they are frightened that they will be swamped by unsatisfied customers demanding the proper software.
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:20 AM
  • I have a HP scanner and drivers are on Windows update.

Cannon should have some drivers for their printers too, but you might have to dig around their web site for them.

I suggest using the Windows Scan & Fax software as its OK with scanners, as the bundled software packages are not so good in my opinion.

I use the Windows Scan & Fan all the time.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:36 AM
  • I had a Canon scanner 5200f and bought a new computer with windows 7 64 bit and the trouble started. Couldn't fix it so I approached a Harvey Norman store wanted a quarantee that the scanner they recommended would work. It didnt. After a lot of research I found that the problem is the software supplied by Canon, Arcsoft Photo Studio 5.5. This will not work with Win 7 64 bit, but if you buy a new version for $80 it may. Right now I am packing up the scanner to return it to Harvey Norman. It seems Canon are well aware of this problem but wont supply the right software till next year.  Someone should sue them for unfair practices. This has cost me a lot of time and inconvienence. Don't buy Canon.
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Well only 2 months left in this year.

I use HP as they do look after you for equipment, even old stuff works.

I have 2 Canon cameras and hey are both excellent.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:50 AM