none
win7 sharing folder limit RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all, 

Can we adjust the limit when we share folder in win7 professional operating system, such as the max connection can adjust or not ? 

Sunday, July 14, 2019 1:07 PM

All replies

• The default number of concurrent connections allowed to a share is 20.  That is the maximum permitted. You can reduce the number.  Right click on the shared folder and select properties.  Then on the Sharing tab click the Advanced button.  On the Windows that pops up you can change the number in the 'Limit the number of simultaneous users to:" field.
    Sunday, July 14, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Can we setup if user connect more than 30 minutes, the connection will be auto disconnect ? Thanks a lot.
    Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:05 PM
  • No, Windows doesn’t have this feature or setting, you need to consider script or task scheduler to intentionally disconnect shred folder.

Look at this case below.

How do I set the Windows network timeout for physically disconnected mapped drive?

https://superuser.com/questions/453741/how-do-i-set-the-windows-network-timeout-for-physically-disconnected-mapped-driv

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 1:46 AM
  • There's no native way to do that. 

As another commented, it may be possible to write a program or script to do so, but it would be quite complicated.  You would have to somehow monitor the connections in real time, set a timer for each individual connection when it starts, and then terminate it for the specific user only when the desired time is reached.

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:34 AM
  • Does win10 professonal have improve the limit ? We would like to update operating system if win10 professional tcp connection limit is more than 20 connection. Thanks a lot.
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:58 AM
  • >Does win10 professonal have improve the limit ? We would like to update operating system if win10 >professional tcp connection limit is more than 20 connection. Thanks a lot.

No.  It's still 20.

• Edited by GTS-NJ Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:49 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Is there suggestion to prevent client computer long time keep tcp connection? Thanks a lot.
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:41 PM
  • Although I try 3 method to connect sharing folder , but the tcp connection is still work when I close explore

1. Network drive

2. Fast access

3. short cut

Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:56 AM
  • No, current situation is a normal phenomenon, Windows doesn't have built-in method or tool to prevent client computer long time keep tcp connection

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 9, 2019 7:10 AM
  • No, I mean when the connection is idle, would it be possible to auto disconnect connection? Thanks a lot.
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:07 AM