none
Stop windows calculating file sizes when copy/cut/paste. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi peeps,

This is a some what noobish question I know.... There must be a way to stop windows calculating the sizes when doing copies etc. When copying large file trees (with thousands of small files) it renders the process of calculating the file size pointless because in many cases it takes longer to calculate than it does to action the copy.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

This calculating feature is by design. While the progress dialog is being displayed, Windows is supposedly still calculating the required time to complete the task. In fact, the actual operation of file copying, moving, deletion unzipping is already started.

Thanks for your advice, I will report your feedback to Microsoft Feedback Team to let them know it.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 1, 2010 2:14 AM

All replies

• Use other Copy engines like this here:

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:26 PM
  • I dont need to use 3rd party copy apps when there is RoboCopy built into windows. The question still remains though, is there a way to change windows "default" behaviour as in many cases this feature is infact just an extra waste of time.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

This calculating feature is by design. While the progress dialog is being displayed, Windows is supposedly still calculating the required time to complete the task. In fact, the actual operation of file copying, moving, deletion unzipping is already started.

Thanks for your advice, I will report your feedback to Microsoft Feedback Team to let them know it.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 1, 2010 2:14 AM
  • I know this was 10 years ago but still you never answered the question.

" is there a way to change windows "default" behavior as in many cases this feature is in fact just an extra waste of time."

• Proposed as answer by Bade Mihai Friday, March 8, 2019 11:21 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Hi,
    I don't think that the copy/delete/etc action begins until the time calculation is finished.
    Due to this reason I need to delete files using command prompt which is 100x faster.
    The bottle neck here is count of files rather than size.

• Edited by Anshul Vij Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:43 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:42 PM