none
Windows 7 Keeps Rebooting

Question

• Windows 7 reboots in all safe modes and anyhow I try to boot up the system. I tried the repair it, it failed to repair (8 times) and the system restore doesn't work. I can use the command prompt with the installation CD but don't know how to enable the system to boot. The last file loaded during the boot is mrxsmb20.sys

Can someone help

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:24 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm when the issue began to occur. Did it occur after installing certain application or hardware?

At this stage, I suggest we perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1. Unplug all external hard device and then reboot the system to Safe Mode again. If the system can boot in Safe Mode, please proceed the following steps. Otherwise, please skip to the step 1 and move on step 2.

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click “Allow” if the User Account Control window is prompted.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"
    4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK
    5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still crash now?

If the system is stable, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

If the issue still persists, the motherboard or CPU may have problems. If that is the case, I recommend asking the computer vendor to examine it. Meanwhile, you can do a Parallel Installation to get a clean system for a test.

Step 2. Parallel Install of Windows 7

=========================

Note: A Parallel Install is a new installation for Windows 7, which is similar to a Clean Install. However, when performing a Parallel Install, the current system will not be affected. To perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 7, we just need to select another disk drive or partition when performing the installation. This will install a new system and we can then recover all personal data after performing the installation.

1. Start the computer by using the Windows 7 DVD. To do this, insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.

3. Follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to type in the product key and accept the Licensing Agreement.

4. Click Next and choose the Custom (Advanced) option.

5. Select another disk drive and click Next.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.

What's the result?

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zeepak Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:36 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm when the issue began to occur. Did it occur after installing certain application or hardware?

At this stage, I suggest we perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1. Unplug all external hard device and then reboot the system to Safe Mode again. If the system can boot in Safe Mode, please proceed the following steps. Otherwise, please skip to the step 1 and move on step 2.

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click “Allow” if the User Account Control window is prompted.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"
    4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK
    5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still crash now?

If the system is stable, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

If the issue still persists, the motherboard or CPU may have problems. If that is the case, I recommend asking the computer vendor to examine it. Meanwhile, you can do a Parallel Installation to get a clean system for a test.

Step 2. Parallel Install of Windows 7

=========================

Note: A Parallel Install is a new installation for Windows 7, which is similar to a Clean Install. However, when performing a Parallel Install, the current system will not be affected. To perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 7, we just need to select another disk drive or partition when performing the installation. This will install a new system and we can then recover all personal data after performing the installation.

1. Start the computer by using the Windows 7 DVD. To do this, insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.

3. Follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to type in the product key and accept the Licensing Agreement.

4. Click Next and choose the Custom (Advanced) option.

5. Select another disk drive and click Next.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.

What's the result?

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zeepak Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:06 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Novak.

I unplugged everything and tried to reboot. I would get the boot selection screen
    1. Windows 7
    2. Windows Vista

I would pick Windows 7. The system will show me the Windows 7 logo and reboot again. I tried to log in the Safe Mode but the system will re-boot half way. I can recover my data from Windows Vista version. I can log in Safe Mode as well as regular Windows Vista installation.

I am just having problems with Windows 7.

Regarding the issue, it occured after I installed Avast Antivirus and did a scan on reboot. After that the computer keeps re-booting.

- Deepak
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Hi,

Did you perform a Parallel Install for Windows 7? This issue can occur by corrupted system files or conflict hardware driver.

At this stage, please perform an In-Place upgrade for a test.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Thanks,

Novak

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Ok.. I will do a parallel install - Upgrade. Would it upgrade my Windows 7 install or would it be an install on the other drive?. After I do the install - what should I do?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:46 PM
  • In-Place upgrade only repair the system files and it will not be installed on other drive. Please just complete the In-Place upgrade and then you need not anything else. After the installation complete, please check whether the system still kept rebooting.
    • Unmarked as answer by Zeepak Monday, November 02, 2009 3:28 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Novak,

It doesn't allow me to do a parallel upgrade. It says to boot up in windows and then do an upgrade. I can't do a parallel upgrade on the same drive unless I am logged in that drive of windows.

- D
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Since you cannot do an upgrade, I suggest you do a clean installation instead. After completing the clean installation, please login and test whether the system still kept rebooting. If persists, this issue may be caused by conflicted hardware.
    • Proposed as answer by tg1000 Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:26 PM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 8:28 AM