none
Windows 8.1 x64 Smart Search Outlook and OneNote 2013(x32) not returning results RRS feed

• Question

• Is the 8.1 Smart Search([windows-key]-type)  supposed to return results from Outlook and/or OneNote?

I am using Exchange Cached mode for Outlook if that matters.

I have done the following to try and get results to show up:

• control panel...Indexing Options...Advanced...File Types...Index Properties and File Contents
    • used indexing troubleshooter which found no problems
    • control panel...Indexing Options...Advanced...Rebuild...
    • used scanpst to scan my ost and make repairs.
    • checked and unchecked Outlook and OneNote within index properties
    • tried to go to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\username.ost properties...advanced...checked allow this file to have contents indexed. Except the next time i start outlook the check mark goes away.
    • verified .pst , .ost and .pst files are all in the index service...file types... list
    • Search within Outlook itself works just fine and quickly, but i would like to be able to search from the "Smart Search".  File name search is flawless. 

If it isn't supported, why is it in the indexing options that clearly work for smart search settings because I also added a location for searching where file names search works just fine(although it does seem the contents of excel/word files are not being indexed, but the index might still be rebuilding)

Any help would keep some hair on my head. 

Thanks

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the smart search can't search the content in outlook and OneNote.

blogs.technet.com/b/daanish/archive/2014/03/19/windows-8-101-smart-search.aspx

The reason why Outlook and OneNote appears in the Index option tab is that Outlook and OneNote need the Windows search to help index the content in Outlook and OneNote, if we remote the outlook and onenote from Index Option tab, the search function in the Outlook and OneNote may not works.

Also, smart search main focus on Settings , files, web Images, web Videos which we can select above the search box.  Another reason we suspect the design for this is the consideration for security, if we can search the emails in the smart search, that maybe some programs can access the content in Outlook and OneNote without authentication .

Hope the information above help.

Best Regards,

Jason Zeng

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the smart search can't search the content in outlook and OneNote.

blogs.technet.com/b/daanish/archive/2014/03/19/windows-8-101-smart-search.aspx

The reason why Outlook and OneNote appears in the Index option tab is that Outlook and OneNote need the Windows search to help index the content in Outlook and OneNote, if we remote the outlook and onenote from Index Option tab, the search function in the Outlook and OneNote may not works.

Also, smart search main focus on Settings , files, web Images, web Videos which we can select above the search box.  Another reason we suspect the design for this is the consideration for security, if we can search the emails in the smart search, that maybe some programs can access the content in Outlook and OneNote without authentication .

Hope the information above help.

Best Regards,

Jason Zeng

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Best Regards,

Jason Zeng

Friday, April 25, 2014 7:09 AM