none
Plugging in iPhone generates "device driver software was not installed successfully" message

Question

• Windows 7 Ultimate/32bit. iTunes 9.0

Each time I dock my iPhone, I get a pop-up message "device driver software was not installed successfully". I want to stop this message appearing.

In fact, Windows 7 *is* locating the correct USBAAPL driver (which is seen to load in Device Manager) and iTunes works fine.

However, since the detail on the error message relates to "MTP USB device" it seems that Windows is triggering the error too soon.

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch and latest iTunes etc (for other reasons) but this problem remains.

If I delete the driver then the default that Windows looks for is the MTP driver (which fails) and then I manually point it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers and it reinstalls the USBAAPL driver it had before.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:34 AM

Answers

• Try go to Device Manager, if there is any “Unknown MTP device”, uninstall it,  then plug in your iPhone and scan for hardware changes to let Windows Update automatically find and install the correct driver.  

BTW, I found the following similar issue for your reference:

iPhone and Windows 7 RC don't work - DELL USB Chipset Issue

Topic : iTunes 9 on Windows 7 x64 Has Problems with iPhone

Please note: we provide the third party link for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Best Regards

Dale

Friday, April 02, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi to all,
    Thank u for your input, unfortunately all these things didnt work for me.

I’m using a dell studio XPS 435MT with W7 ultimate 64, latest Itunes and 3G, 3GS and 4G Iphones. The problem was the same an all phones !!
    I tried the camera roll stuff, deleting drivers, scan hardware change and all those ideas and nothing worked.
    I FINALLY found what to do.

The MTB USB problem is due to the fact that Windows chooses that driver instead of usb iphne driver.

BEFORE DOING THIS MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR REGESTRY. (in regedit, File >> export)

To “tell” windows not to chose MTB USB driver do the following :
    - run regedit
    - find “{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}” under hkeylocalmachine > system>current control set>control>class
    - click on the “{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}” on the left side of the window.
    - appears on the right side differnt things. Right click on “upper something” and click delete.
    - unplug iphone (have at least 1 photo on your iphone)
    - restart computer
    - plug in Iphone and the camera roll apears !

Hope this helps !!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:12 PM
  •  

Jadem, same thing here.  Toshiba Satellite A665, running Windows 7 64-bit...  and cannot for the life of me install the drivers for my Zune or my iPhone 4.  Just keep getting error message.

I have scoured the internet, and have tried countless suggestions.  Nothing.

I've installed these two things onto an older (slower) machine which runs XP with no problems.  But I don't use that machine any more. I use this one.

Anyone?  A little help?

***UPDATE!***

Problem solved!!!   Per "The Undertaker", here, just follow these instructions carefully.  It worked for me!

1. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator
    2. If connected, disconnect your (device) from the PC
    3. Open your command prompt, click Start select Run
    4. Type cmd  then press Enter
    5. Type the following after the prompt: Net localgroup Administrators local service /add then press Enter

NOTE: A "The command completed successfully" message should appear.

6. Close the command prompt and reconnect (device).
    • Edited by Buck1962 Monday, April 25, 2011 1:15 AM Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:22 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Thin,

It seems that Windows is trying to find and install a newer version of driver for iPhone while it is connected to computer. To ignore this notification, you can take the following steps:

1.        Click Start and type: device in the Search box.

2.        Find the item “Change device installation settings” and click to open it.

3.        Check “No. let me choose what to do”, and select “Never install driver software from Windows Update”.

4.        Click Save Changes.

Then plug in iPhone to see if the notification still appears.

Best Regards

Dale

• Proposed as answer by realtygirl Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Thin Ice Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:28 PM
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:24 AM
  • I also had an issue similar with my Blackberry.. went to Verizon my carrier and they told me to un-install my desktop manager (Blackberry) and reinstall in, although the New Blackberry was able to use the same... once I did this.. my new phone was recognized by Windows7.. strange but it worked.  Also Instead of using the disc to download the Desktop manager I downloaded it from the net..

Never know it might work for you..

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:07 PM
  • I don't have a Blackberry to reinstall ;-)

As I noted in my original post, reinstalling the entire operating system and iTunes software didn't make a difference...

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:25 PM
  • No, it doesn't seem to make a difference, but thanks for the interesting suggestion!
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Try go to Device Manager, if there is any “Unknown MTP device”, uninstall it,  then plug in your iPhone and scan for hardware changes to let Windows Update automatically find and install the correct driver.  

BTW, I found the following similar issue for your reference:

iPhone and Windows 7 RC don't work - DELL USB Chipset Issue

Topic : iTunes 9 on Windows 7 x64 Has Problems with iPhone

Please note: we provide the third party link for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Best Regards

Dale

Friday, April 02, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi to all,

I’m using a dell studio XPS 435MT with W7 ultimate 64, latest Itunes and 3G, 3GS and 4G Iphones. The problem was the same an all phones !!
    I tried the camera roll stuff, deleting drivers, scan hardware change and all those ideas and nothing worked.

The MTB USB problem is due to the fact that Windows chooses that driver instead of usb iphne driver.

- run regedit
    - find “{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}” under hkeylocalmachine > system>current control set>control>class
    - click on the “{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}” on the left side of the window.
    - appears on the right side differnt things. Right click on “upper something” and click delete.
    - restart computer

Hope this helps !!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Hi there,

I'm trying to follow the above advice but got stuck on the "upper something" step. I don't have anything like that to click and delete??? Help! This driver thing is driving me nuts! I've done everything I can possibly think of other than throw my laptop out the window.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Hi to all,

- run regedit
    - restart computer

Hope this helps !!

This has been the ONLY solution I have found for this problem.  I've been looking for three days, and it's surprising how little mention there is of this problem.  Thanks for posting this, and I'm saving it for future use. :)

Just for info to those who may find this in the future, my system is Windows Vista 32 bit.  The solution is not 64 bit exclusive.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:12 PM
  • I too can seem to find the "upper something" entry. I have searched the whole registry.  Please help, this is really bothersome I have been looking for a week or so now. Everything I have tired has failed unfortunately.  
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:50 AM
  • I am having the problem as well on Windows 2008 Server (32-bit), my iphone also not able to charge. So I try my luck to download the iTunes10 and see whether they able to detect my iPhone4.... guess what after installing the iTunes, my iPhone4 is detected and installed. 

Maybe those having similar issues can try installing iTunes10.... 

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:38 PM
  • I have what sounds to be the exact same issue.  And I still haven't found an answer!

less than a week ago I did a fresh install of Windows 7.  Installed the latest itunes.  When I plug in my iphone 4, it starts installing device software, but fails. 

Now...

I can still use itunes.. it recognises my phone even though the pc does not.

My phone connects and tethers the internet via the cable... that driver software installed successfully.

What I have tried...

I have tried uninstalling driver and reinstalling - and i have tried manually getting the pc to point to the correct device folder in doing so. The apple mobile device is coming up under USB controllers and says it is installed and working properly.

I have an unknown device in device manager, however even if I disable or delete it and try then to install the iphone driver, it still pops up as device driver was not installed successfully.

I have look in the registry for “{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}”  that was mentioned in this thread, however it doesn't even exist in my registry.

I have tried stopping/starting and restarting  the Apple mobile device service and made sure it is on 'automatic'. 

I have updated to the most recent windows update/and itunes.

Here's what i'm running...

Toshiba Satellite P200, windows 7 enterprise N 64bit & itunes 10.2.1.1 and Apple Mobile device support 3.4.0.25.

ANY new advice or fresh ideas would be great.  I'm not a complete moron when it comes to computers and I have a lot of geeky friends who know what they're doing, but this one has us all stumped.

Thanks!...

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:27 AM
  •  

Jadem, same thing here.  Toshiba Satellite A665, running Windows 7 64-bit...  and cannot for the life of me install the drivers for my Zune or my iPhone 4.  Just keep getting error message.

I have scoured the internet, and have tried countless suggestions.  Nothing.

I've installed these two things onto an older (slower) machine which runs XP with no problems.  But I don't use that machine any more. I use this one.

Anyone?  A little help?

***UPDATE!***

Problem solved!!!   Per "The Undertaker", here, just follow these instructions carefully.  It worked for me!

5. Type the following after the prompt: Net localgroup Administrators local service /add then press Enter

6. Close the command prompt and reconnect (device).
    • Edited by Buck1962 Monday, April 25, 2011 1:15 AM Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:22 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 7:04 PM
  • @Buck1962

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but this command didn't fix the problem for me.  I still get the "...device driver installation failed..." message and I can't browse my iPhone.  :-(

Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:26 AM
  • @Buck1962 

Great job on the the repost from Undertakers fix.

Had my iPhone 3GS detected and downloading pictures within 30 seconds of doing the fix.

Once again this will fix the MTP Device error under Windows device manager when you plug

in your iPhone. You do NOT need to reinstall iTunes nor do a regedit !!!!

"1. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator
     5. Type the following after the prompt: Net localgroup Administrators local service /add then press Enter 

6. Close the command prompt and reconnect (device)."

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:41 AM
  • and if you dont get "The command completed successfull" message ?

Instead I get:

"System error 5 has occured.

Access is denied."

Thinking of giving up the rat-race, working for yourself, check out universalwealthsystem.com. Dave
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:03 AM
  • The reason you get the error is beacuse you need to run the command prompt as an administrator. Easiest way to do so is hit start, begin typing command until you see command prompt listed in the start menu, then right click and run as administrator. That will allow you to make the changes :D
    Friday, September 02, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Thanks UnderTaker!!! Your fixed worked like a champ....who would of thought....some old school command line does the trick!!!

5. Type the following after the prompt: Net localgroup Administrators local service /add then press Enter 

• Proposed as answer by Aspen_Jeff Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:30 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:34 PM
  • I did the same and it worked for me ;) But I love iphone. And anxiously waiting for the iphone 5. And i guess these pics of iphone look fake to me..

http://entertainment-lobby.blogspot.com/2011/08/iphone-5-concept-leaked-expected-design.html

• Edited by maz1987 Friday, September 16, 2011 12:14 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:09 PM
  • I tried uninstalling everything and that worked one time and then it was back to driver device not installing again.   I tried the above and it seemed like it was going to work, but then it gave the same error message.

I did not get the "command completed successfully" message.

I did receive:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Owner>Net localgroup Administrators local service/add

The syntax of this command is:

NET LOCALGROUP

[groupname [/COMMENT:"text"]] [/DOMAIN]

groupname {/ADD [COMMENT:"text"] : /DELETE} [DOMAIN]

groupname name [...] {/ADD : /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]

C:\Users\Owner>

I am running windows 7 on an acer. Any ideas?

Thank you.

• Proposed as answer by DOGSNADS Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:39 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DOGSNADS Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:39 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:11 AM
  • I want to open this site it my iphone 4 and its not opening. Can anyone help in it?

http://photographya.info/wonderful-butterfly-photography/

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:16 AM
  • I was looking for the solution, and I've tried several work-arounds but in vain finally I've read Above from ThinICE and voila it works but the thing I've change along with drivers I also install Iexplorer as my Iphone 3GS 16GB still not showing in my computer my OS is Windows 7 x86 professional licensed, please feel free to ask any question. And YES I KNOW MY ENGLISH IS NOT BAD.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I get the same thing too!!!
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Do you have this fixed?  Can you write a detailed note on fixing it please?  Thank you :)
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I cant believe that Microsoft hasnt posted a fix yet. All this stuff on thes forums seems to ignore the issue I found. The problem I encountered was the same as listed here but the answer was quite simple. What's missing is the Media Features Pack. My version of Windows 7 Pro (N) didnt have it and neither does any Windows version listed as "N" or "NT". Without this, the iPhone software cant work outside of iTunes. The fix was to download and install the Media Features Pack from Microsoft, install it and BAM! I plugged in my Iphone4 and it instantly found and loaded the driver and popped up asking me what I wanted to do with this device.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 4:06 PM
  • YEAH!

This is working!!!

I have no "Upper ...." in the EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A

This "Net localgroup Administrators local service /add" is my only way to fix!

Thank you so much! 

Saturday, May 05, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Simply go to device manager> other devices> iphone> search the net for automatic update and voila you sorted. :)
    Monday, May 21, 2012 12:49 PM
  • i did same but not work for me. what would i do? i got help from this gadgets site http://pkbazar.com
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:50 AM
  • I am having the problem as well on Windows 2008 Server (32-bit)!!

http://angadgets.net/

• Edited by sam1x Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:52 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Thanks UnderTaker!!! Your fixed worked like a champ....who would of thought....some old school command line does the trick!!!

This worked for me as well. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP2 - 32 bit, in case anybody has issues with Vista.

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:04 AM
  • None of this is working for me. I just get error messages galore, and I am logged in under the only profile on my computer which is my administrative one. All I want to do is unload all these pictures I have on my phone of my daughter...this is so frustrating.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:43 PM
  • working for me :)

http://forum.gadgetgeeks.in

Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:46 AM
  • This worked for me as long as I followed Step A:

A: hit start, begin typing command until you see command prompt listed in the start menu, then right click and run as administrator

Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Thank you so much for these directions! I have been going around and around trying to get my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC to properly identify my Samsung Galaxy S3! I had the driver installed, even Samsung Kies and the set up was not working. I had went through a number of uninstalls and reinstalls to no avail. I followed your suggested instructions and when I plugged my phone back in, all was working great! I did not have this issue with my laptop running Windows 8 Release Preview.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:18 AM
  • I tried uninstalling everything and that worked one time and then it was back to driver device not installing again.   I tried the above and it seemed like it was going to work, but then it gave the same error message.

I did not get the "command completed successfully" message.

I did receive:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Owner>Net localgroup Administrators local service/add

The syntax of this command is:

NET LOCALGROUP

[groupname [/COMMENT:"text"]] [/DOMAIN]

groupname {/ADD [COMMENT:"text"] : /DELETE} [DOMAIN]

groupname name [...] {/ADD : /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]

C:\Users\Owner>

I am running windows 7 on an acer. Any ideas?

Thank you.

right i've solved the issue with you waterworldz ...........just do everything as specified above but make sure that the" N" of Net and the" A"of Administrators is capital letters and after local service put a space then /add , this sorted me out !!         

update !!

had to restart my pc , then run kies, then connect the phone, by the way i am running windows 7 ultimate and trying to connect a samsung galaxy 3. trust me this worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by DOGSNADS Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:45 PM
    • Edited by DOGSNADS Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:44 PM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:44 PM
  • It worked like a charm.

Thanks m8 

Friday, August 02, 2013 6:01 PM
  • this works Net localgroup Administrators local service /add

have windows vista ultimate 32 bit (was thinking to dump the OS and laptop after being annoyed by unability to connect to iphone, digi cam, nexus)

can't believe!!

4 things that did not work for me

endless searching on google for MTP error

MTP driver update

regedit

driver install uninstall

Thanks a lot!

Saturday, March 29, 2014 7:39 AM