none
How To check if SSD and TRIM have all windows 7 functions working?

Question

• Hi,

I have an intel 80 gb gen2 SSD and i would like to check if ALL the Functions of windows 7 SSD optimizations are working.

I have already checked the defrag schedule and the ssd is not listed - so it is recognized by wiindows 7 as SSD - also used fsutil, which returned 0, which means TRIM is turned on and functioning.
    I learned these steps from other posts here which were very helpful, but would appreciate further information about SSD's and Win 7.

From engiineering win7 SSD - Q&A doc:

Be default, Windows 7 will disable Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and appli cation launch prefetching on SSDs with good random read, random write and flush performance . These technologies were all designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where ran dom read performance could easily be a major bottleneck. See the FAQ section for more details .

How do you check if readyBoot, prefetch, super fetch etc are disabled for optimum performance of SSD?
    any help gratefully appreciated as i am curious if i'm getting the best performance from windows 7  and SSD?
    thanks
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:46 PM

Answers

• The value 3  for the PrefetchParameters which means that prefetching is enabled for application launch and boot. Now, I doubt your SSD drvie is not recongized as SSD. You can try to check if the SSD has been properly detected by looking in Disk Defragmenter.

1)Open Disk Defragmenter
    2)Click the Configure schedule button
    3)Click the Select disks button

If the disk is missing from the list, then it has been detected as an SSD and will not be automatically defragmented. In that case, you can try to modify those registry to disable the Superfetch, Prefetcher functions.

Good luck!

John
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

Generally, if you have the SSD hard drive, win7 would disable disk defragmentation, Superfetch, Prefetcher and ReadyBoost features. If you want to check their state, you can use the following steps.

Navigate to the following registry,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

If the superfetch and prefetch features are disabled, their registry value should be 0, please check if EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch are both set to 0.

I hope this would help you.

John
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:19 AM

All replies

• Try HD Tune, provides drive info and has an option to test your drive.
    http://www.hdtune.com/

JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help. And if that doesn't solve your problem then create a Windows 7 "GodMode folder" ;-)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:57 AM
  • If you got an IDE device connected (such as a CD/DVD drive or PATA HDD) and you don't have SATA to emulate PATA it may cause issues with some of your SATA drives depending on the device.  

Device may also be concidered mass storage. Certain utills will not detect all storage device. The best thing to uses while in windows is Device Manager. Right click My Computer - Manage - Device Manager. 

If you don't see it there,  reboot computer and go into BIOS usualy by pressing Del (under Insert key) or F1 
    check your SATA devices.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:42 AM
  • hi js,

thanks for the info i'll check out HD tune

thanks a lot for your reply
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:20 AM
  • I do have an ide DVD on my mobo, but it doesn't seem to interfere with my sata ports even though they are controlled by the same controller in device manager on seperate ports.

thanks
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Might find this of value: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667

JS

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help. And if that doesn't solve your problem then create a Windows 7 "GodMode folder" ;-)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

Generally, if you have the SSD hard drive, win7 would disable disk defragmentation, Superfetch, Prefetcher and ReadyBoost features. If you want to check their state, you can use the following steps.

Navigate to the following registry,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

If the superfetch and prefetch features are disabled, their registry value should be 0, please check if EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch are both set to 0.

I hope this would help you.

John
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hi JS,

thanks for the link.

interesting site.

-ron
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:09 AM
  • Hi John,

I checked the registry (I hesitated to open the registry because i have very little experience with it) and the value for both is 3 not zero like you said it should be if they were disabled.

Then i opened services and disabled superfetch service - which was set to manual. Rebooted, Then re-checked the registry and the value was still 3.

Couldn't find prefetch listed in services applet, but a recent check of the windows/prefetch folder shows the files haven't been updated since 1-14.

I think that was the day i ran the performance trouble shooter (for no good reason) and it said it found an issue with superfetch disabled and that it had fixed it. That's when i went to services and changed the startup type to manual.

So I think it looks like superfetch and prefetch are disabled but not showing 0 value in the registry. I don't know why this is so. I don't want to change the value in the registry. (Afraid of causing system instability) I'm very timid about the registry because of my lack of experience.

Thanks very very much for your help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

- ron
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:10 AM
  • You're welcome.

JS

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:07 AM
  • The value 3  for the PrefetchParameters which means that prefetching is enabled for application launch and boot. Now, I doubt your SSD drvie is not recongized as SSD. You can try to check if the SSD has been properly detected by looking in Disk Defragmenter.

1)Open Disk Defragmenter
    2)Click the Configure schedule button
    3)Click the Select disks button

If the disk is missing from the list, then it has been detected as an SSD and will not be automatically defragmented. In that case, you can try to modify those registry to disable the Superfetch, Prefetcher functions.

Good luck!

John
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi john thanks for the reply and very helprul advice.

My SSD is recognized by win7 and gets 7.8 in WEI, But i guess superfetch and prefetch aren't doing what their supposed to, oh well. i can live with the current state. I keep referring back to "engineering win7 q and a for ssd's" document which says superfetch and prefetch will be disabled on SSD's without glaring write and flush issues. don't know why mine has these enabled. oh well.

Here is a link for anyone interested in understanding windows 7 and SSD' in general and how windows 7 optimizes their performance. A must read and reference for anyone with an SSD.

Engineering Windows 7 : Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives

My only guess they are enabled because of the win ultimate 100mb partition. Maybe this is why superfetch and prefetch are enabled? That's my next project to get rid of that 100mb bitlocker partition. and do a clean install to a single partition. From what i've been reading here and at intel forums things like offset (alignment) of partitions and erasing the drive are very important in a clean install. From what i read at intel HDD Erase 3.3 is the recommended way to erase an intel ssd. I'm not sure what the partition offset should be, but in the q and a doc it mentions that all of windows 7 partitioning features, like format, are already optimized for ssd's. Right now the offset is set at 1024 kb for the first partition.

anyway, i'm learning as i go along.
    thanks for your help!!!
    - ron

Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:06 AM
  • I just installed an intel 80GB G2 SSD on my Dell XPS Gen2, together with a WD Raptor on the other SATA port. I did a clean install of Win7 on the SSD, reformatting both drives, but apparently Win7 didn't recognize the SSD as such. Superfetch, prefetch, and defrag were all enabled and the PrefetchParams in the registry are set to 3. How can I tell if TRIM is enabled? I tried start/run/cmd/fsutil, but was told I needed admin privileges. I'm of course logged in as admin, but couldn't find a right-click option for run as admin. Windows experience for disk is 6.9 and HDTune average transfer is 110 MB/s, probably consistent with my SATA1.5 IF. I ran SSD Tweaker from the OCZ Technology Forum and the settings it found also indicate it's not recognized as SSD.

How can I get Win7 to recognize the SSD as such? Can I enable all the optimizations manually that Win7 would do, especially TRIM? Need I worry that Win7 didn't format correctly for SSDs?
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I couldn't tell if TRIM was enabled, but I did find I had firmware 2CV102HA on my Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD, and Intel website said FW 2CV102HD brought back TRIM support. So I updated the FW successfully, but the win7 settings for prefetch, defrag, and write caching don't seem to have changed. Do I need to reinstall Win7 on the SSD to get it to optimize for SSD? HDTune benchmark and Windows Experience hard disk scores didn't change after the firmware update.

Should I enable write caching? Turn off write cache buffer flushing? Disable System Restore? Disable indexing? Or do I have to reinstall Win7 (again)?

-Kurt
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Hi Kurt,

Do you have AHCI enabled in your bios? If it is set to ide or something else, then you will have to change it then reinstall windows.
    You can use diskpart to see if the offset is set to 1024kb, which should have been set by win 7 automatically.
    You should be getting a 7.7 - 7.8 on wei and defrag should be automatically disabled if win7 recognizes your ssd.
    I don't know why it doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm just a novice at this stuff.
    Hope someone else with more knowledge will jump in to help you.
    good luck. i hope this helps!!!

- ron
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 11:01 PM
  • bringing this up from the dead to hammer the point...

So we all know enough to conclude that win 7 didn't recognize our ssd during install.

So....

Now what?

Do I keep installing win 7 till my drive is write worn?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Roger Klado wrote:

bringing this up from the dead to hammer the point...

So we all know enough to conclude that win 7 didn't recognize our ssd during install.

So....

Now what?

No, we all don't conclude Win 7 doesn't recognize our SSD during installation.  I have two laptops with SSD in each that have been running Win 7 for over 1-1/2 years now and my systems never had a problem recognizing the SSDs.

There are too many variables to make an absolute statement!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by ihjones Monday, November 01, 2010 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:20 PM
  • I also have 2 laptops. 1 laptop recognized the SSD right out of the packaging the 2nd laptop however did not recognize the SSD when I plugged it in to the USB port using external case.

So I installed it in the laptop put my Windows 7 disk in and started it like I was going to load Windows 7 just until it got to the part where you can choose to format the drive and it was there in the list so I clicked on format the problem was solved.

I took it out of the laptop put it back in the external case plugged it in and Windows 7 recognized it go figure why one drive was fine right out of the box and the other was not .It should have been recognized when I plugged it in to the USB you should not have to go to so much trouble to format the drive and load the OS but what fun would it be if it was always easy.

Friday, October 15, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Roger Klado wrote:

bringing this up from the dead to hammer the point...

So....

Now what?

No, we all don't conclude Win 7 doesn't recognize our SSD during installation.  I have two laptops with SSD in each that have been running Win 7 for over 1-1/2 years now and my systems never had a problem recognizing the SSDs.

There are too many variables to make an absolute statement!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

sorry, I should have worded better, substitute that win 7 doesn't with WHEN win 7 doesn't...

which is if not an absolute.. at least is relatively easy to check fer. via registy and expected disk setup ( prefetch, defrag etc )

In my case..

My final solution was finding the right settings in my mb bios

My point being:

what good is knowing methods to check if windows recognised ssd during install if there are no solutions given if such an occasion is true.

• Proposed as answer by mat_jang Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:41 AM
    Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:27 AM
  • so, what settings did you change in your BIOS beside AHCI?
    Friday, November 19, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Are you sure '3' doesn't mean disabled? '0' would make sense, but I had just changed keys for msahci and iastorv drivers from '3' to '0' to ENABLE them when I changed my SATA controller to AHCI.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:20 AM
  • 0 = Disabled

1 = Application prefetching

2 = Boot prefetching

3 = Application and boot prefetching

"Will Superfetch be disabled on SSDs?

Yes, for most systems with SSDs.

If the system disk is an SSD, and the SSD performs adequately on random reads and doesn’t have glaring performance issues with random writes or flushes, then Superfetch, boot prefetching, application launch prefetching, ReadyBoost and ReadDrive will all be disabled.

Initially, we had configured all of these features to be off on all SSDs, but we encountered sizable performance regressions on some systems. In root causing those regressions, we found that some first generation SSDs had severe enough random write and flush problems that ultimately lead to disk reads being blocked for long periods of time. With Superfetch and other prefetching re-enabled, performance on key scenarios was markedly improved."

- http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

• Edited by revikor Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:59 PM Better quote
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:57 PM
  • But still no one answered the initial question, how do you find out if Trim is enabled or not? all the answer only concerning if prefetch and defrag etc. would be really helpful to know how to check if Trim is enabled or not.
    Friday, February 03, 2012 7:14 PM
  • To check TRIM:

Open the Start Menu, type CMD
    Right click the icon and Run as Administrator

Type: fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
    DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

To enable TRIM:

Open the Start Menu, type CMD
    Right click the icon and Run as Administrator

Type: fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0 

Reference:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds

Friday, February 03, 2012 7:29 PM
  • awsome! thank you rseiller! it shows up as enabled for me,  but just for argument's sake, i'm wondering is it possible that even though this option is showed up as enabled, but your system or firmware doesn't support it? or if it was never supported or turned on in the first place, and u manually turn it on, and although it said its on, but it was not supported? is that possible?
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:00 AM
  • what I meant is is there any physical evidence that trim is on? such as when you delete a large file it takes longer to delete etc?
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:00 AM
  • On the latter post, no, I don't think so, but on the prior post, you might ask over in that thread I linked to earlier. There you have lots of people very familiar with these things. I would hope that the above command is a true reading, but there are a lot of systems/drives out there.
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:24 AM
  • what I meant is is there any physical evidence that trim is on? such as when you delete a large file it takes longer to delete etc?

yes, there is a way to check if TRIM actually works.

Windows fsutil commands are useless, because they only inform if TRIM support is enabled in OS or not. they do not mean that the TRIM actually takes place - that stands true for SSD RAID0. there is 2 ways to check that, one easy and inconcusive (never works on my setup) and other more complicated but conclusive (always works for my setup):

Checking if TRIM actually takes place:

a) trimcheck utility:

http://thessdreview.com/Forums/ssd-discussion/3181.htm

b) manual check on partition sector+offset with hex editor before and after file delete:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6477/trim-raid0-ssd-arrays-work-with-intel-6series-motherboards-too/2

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:04 PM