none
certutil -ping fails from PSSession RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I'm in a PSSession and execute the command "certutil -ping -config "<server>\<caname>" it fails with the error:

Server could not be reached: The RPC server is unavailable. 0x800706ba (WIN32: 1722 RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE) -- (157ms)

CertUtil: -ping command FAILED: 0x800706ba (WIN32: 1722 RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE)
    CertUtil: The RPC server is unavailable.

What might be the cause and is it possible to solve this?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Jim

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the cause of this is double hop. The RPC call from the remote machine to the CA is unauthenticated which will not be accepted by the CA.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:53 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

I agree with Evgenij Smirnov.

According to my test in my test lab. I got the same result as you.

On the computer named CA2. When I exit the PSSession, I can run the same command successfully.

On the computer named Win10-1809, I got the following result. When I exit the PSSession, I can run the same command successfully.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:44 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this question has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.
    Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:52 AM