none
Computer Halts During Boot After Boot Drive Raid Array Rebuild

Question

• Help!  My computer halts during the OS boot and I am trying to avoid reverting to a 5 month old system backup.  I will describe the problem …

First, here are the specifics about the computer:

·         Proc: Intel Core2Duo Conroe E6400 2.13 GHz

·         MB: EVGA nForce 680i

·         RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2 800

·         Video: BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3

·         OS Raid Mirror: 2x WD Raptor 74GB 10000RPM SATA

·         Data Raid Mirror: 2x Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM SATA

·         Audio: Creative XFi XtremeGamer Fata1ty Pro

·         OS: MS Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate – with all OS drivers up to date

A couple days ago, I had a Raid array error on my boot array (first time).  It hung during the array rebuild – so I decided to go into the Raid setup during reboot, delete the array, and rebuild it.  Like a dummy, I did this without first backing up the system.  Anyway, the delete and rebuild seemed to work fine.  However, it now halts in the last phase of reboot, showing only a black screen with a white mouse arrow.

Using my Vista disk, I can bring up Vista and utilize the command prompt to access the drives, copy files, etc.  I downloaded the latest Nvidia nForce driver (with the Raid drivers), but was unable to run this from the command prompt to load it.  Perhaps this is a permissions problem?  I also tried the system repair option, but it cannot find a problem.  I also used F8 during reboot and attempted to use the “Last successful Boot”, but it was also unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I feel like the problem may be simple – missing a driver, etc.  And I really want to avoid the headache of reloading all my programs, etc. to get caught up from my last system backup from 5 months ago.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:21 PM